FanFic - Max/Liz
"Captivated by Darkness"
Part 31
by Ash
Disclaimer: Written purely for entertainment purposes. I have borrowed their characters, but have no intention of stealing any glory from the most excellent show on television. Simply a tribute.
Summary: After "Sexual Healing"; Mostly M/L and M/M, some M/T and others in background; a "T" storyline, so bail now if you don't want to walk the walk of the damned.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: to N/A, whose trilogies are awe-inspiring.
Warm.

Sigh.

Peaceful.

Smile.

After pain and agony... so wonderful.

She blinked. *Max?*

She felt him rushing toward her, connecting with her.

*Liz? Don't leave me... please.* He was so worried...

*Liz!*

*Maria?* Liz was feeling strength pour into her, and an overwhelming sense of love and good will around her.

*Yes, it's me! Girl, when we get out of this, you have some major explaining to do! I'll have the vanilla ice cream waiting.*

Liz smiled, but another voice interupted her thoughts. *Ugh. Only if you include toppings.*

*Isabel?*

Alex's warm voice enveloped her. *I'm here, too. And Michael. And Eddie. Max is going to heal you... Love you. See you on the flip side.*

Liz sent back her love to him, and to Maria. And warm thanks to Michael, Isabel and Eddie. She felt them leave.

*Liz? Just relax and breathe deeply.*

*Oh, am I still breathing?* Liz frowned.

It seemed to her like she didn't really have a body anymore.

*Just barely, sweetheart. But please keep it up."

The word brought her a sense of love and hope. She felt his fear and earnestness. *Anything for you.*

She felt sleepy... and slowly, the white light disappeared, replaced by darkness.

******

The darkness surrounded her. She felt panic, fear... loneliness. And jerked up so suddenly that she smacked her head right into Max's.

"Ow!"

Liz stared at him blankly, then smiled. "Sorry. I guess I was dreaming. About Tess... and the cave."

Liz stopped at the look on Max's face. His eyes were filled with tears and he was gazing at her as though she might disappear any second. He reached a shaky hand out to touch her face.

"You can see me?"

Liz nodded.

Max took a deep breath. "And it's really... you?"

Liz's lips parted to speak, and then she hesitated.

Max's hair was rumpled, his clothing dirty and blood-stained.

For the first time, she realized they were in the cave... with Maria, Michael and everyone standing nearby.

Tears sprang into her eyes. "It really happened, didn't it?"

Max nodded, unable to speak.

She could barely bring herself to whisper the words, "And she's gone?"

"Yes," Max whispered. And in his eyes, she saw an apology.

It flew through her mind once again, the pain of seeing him with her, the break-up, the kiss, the blindness, the horror of life without sight and without Max.

She looked at him again, the past haunting her eyes. "I am so sorry," he whispered. He raised his eyebrows, finally looking away as tears crowded into his eyes. He was asking forgiveness for all of it.

Out of the corner of her eyes, Liz saw Maria pulling the others away. Liz caught her eye and smiled shakily. Maria smiled, then buried herself in Michael's arms as they walked away.

Liz looked back at Max. In the torchlight, shadows played across his downcast face. Liz knew that these would be the most important words she ever said to him. She pulled his face up gently and stared into his eyes a moment. "I love you, Max." He looked at her, shocked and relieved as she continued. "I know why you did what you did. And you were right. You needed to find out what she was." Max blinked a few times and a smile spread across his face. "But," Liz added. "It may take a while to... get things back to normal. Well, atleast, to where they were before." His smile faltered a moment, then blazed at her again. Liz smiled in return. "So, how many times have you saved my life now?"

Max leaned in, reached out to cup her jaw gently in his hands and kissed her. Liz pulled him into her as she raised up on her knees. As she felt his hands on her bare waist, she jumped, then exhaled slowly.

Max slid his arms around her, pulling her close. "I guess I do have something to thank Tess for."

Liz pulled back in surprise. "What," she demanded.

His eyes twinkled, but he ducked to hide a blush in her neck. "I don't think I would have had near this amount of success if I had tried to get you in this cave alone without your pants on."

Liz laughed, shaking her head in surprise. Maybe it won't take long at all to get back to the way things were.

Maybe... they'll be better.

The End.

Sequel
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.