FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Dyas"
Part 43
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
“Now the devil is in my face...”

Liz was inside him. Max could feel every atom of her essence, every nuance of what made her Liz and it was like holding in the deepest, sweetest secret ever told. But it was quickly becoming too much- too much for one body to hold.

*Max, do it!*

He gritted his teeth until he could stand it no longer and then thrust her essence away. Immediately, he awoke and found Liz beside him on the floor. She was trying to sit up, but looking unsteady. He took her warm, soft body in his arms. “Are you alright?”

His heart skipped a beat as always when she smiled up at him. “I think I should be asking you that.” The electrified hum sprung up between them, but Max ignored it. He was lost in the depths of her chocolaty eyes, feeling her love, knowing that she would do anything for him, and had just proven it.

“Go help the others before it‘s too late.” Max snapped his head over to see who had spoken. It was Nasedo.

The Indian was man standing in front of a barely stirring Maria, his hand held out, eyes fixed on the dark, gray shape in front of him.

“Maria!” Liz was up and out of his arms in a second.

Max followed, but stopped to stand by Nasedo and face the enemy. He waited a moment, watching the grayed out figure in front of him. Nothing was happening. “What is that?”

“Croazoh has become a conductor for the power of those who sent him. Theirs is a dark power, desiring of the position and destiny you and the other twelve have as your birthright.“ Max stared at him as he continued, amazed to hear straight forward answers for once.

“Croazoh’s contention with you was personal, but he was sent by those who have sought the throne every since your departure. His endowment of power works in a manner not unlike your orbs.”

“How so?”

The Indian kept his eyes straight ahead. “The orb is simply a vessel, holding in it the power and will of those who control it, the guardians for the royal family. It collects their power and makes it available for you to defeat your enemies, defend yourself and make the final journey home.“

Max was dumbfounded. “Why didn’t they just tell us that?“

The Indian looked over at him with mild surprise. “They just did.“ Max blinked. Nasedo turned back to watch the dark, silent figure before them. “He is receiving the full measure of their power now. You must assemble the twelve now if you hope to defeat him.”

Max bit back the flood of questions in his mind and turned back to the girls. He already knew from Liz that Maria was okay. She was sitting up and hugging Liz breathlessly. Neither of them were glowing now and Max approached them with growing anxiety. The orb’s power was limited and they had used quite a bit of it to fight Croazoh. Was the dark power of Croazoh’s sponsors more powerful?

Liz looked up at him with wide eyes. Max’s eyes roamed her face quickly and he tried to give her a reassuring smile. He could hear her thoughts echoing his. It’ll be fine, Liz. We just have to heal the twelve first.

*Right.* She was trying to look convinced. Max knelt beside the girls and gave Liz a quick kiss before turning to Maria’s pale face. “You okay?”

She rubbed at her back sorrowfully. “Unfortunately, ole’ glow boy does not know how make the landings any softer, although I am grateful to not have a burning hole through my middle.” She reached out and gave Max a quick hug. “I’m glad to see you’re better. That means that you can help the others, too, right?”

Max looked into her blue eyes and nodded quick. She was probably worried sick about Michael.

“Joey needs your help the most.” Her words stunned him so much that he actually stopped breathing. Then he jumped up and stopped moving only when he felt Liz’s hand on his arm.

“It’s in your mind, Max. Transform and find her- find the connection between you and go to her.”

Right.

Liz’s words brought back his focus and reason. Max closed his eyes and focused all her energy on Joey... on her curly black hair, her dark hazel eyes that were the reflection of his own... on the beautiful, selfless person that she’d somehow turned out to be, even while living on the streets...

******

Liz felt Max’s energy shift and the burning take over their connection. She pulled away before it could spread to her body and watched as he disappeared. It left her breathless and momentarily disoriented. She reminded herself that the connection had faded only because he was now INSIDE Joey’s mind. She could feel echoes of his concern for Joey, and the even fainter echoes of Joey’s answers. She was alright. Max would take care of her.

“Liz!” She snapped up as Nasedo called her name loudly. Then she heard Maria’s voice tremble behind her. “Oh my god...”

She looked over and gasped. Croazoh was no longer alone.

Ten dim gray figures had appeared behind him, darkening the room considerably.

******

Max forced himself to pierce the band of Joey’s own essence that held her captive and struggled to let the pain flow through him without fighting it.

*Max? I- I’m- are you okay?*

Yeah, he breathed out in a sigh. Go help Isabel. I’ll help Michael. Then the burning intensified in his body. It was the orb, sending energy to transfer him. But he knew that every time drained it more and more... and they had so many more to help...

******

Kyle was biting his fingernails. This had to have been the longest fifteen minutes of his freakin’ life. The first ten he’d spent watching the empty hallways; the last five he’d spent pacing and waiting for the disturbance that never came. Now, he was sitting, with a large something squeezing the life out of his heart like it was a freakin‘ cream-filled doughnut. He could barely breathe and his thoughts were in a hell of rut. He’d even welcome another round of those idiots from the FBI asking the same damn questions over and over again. Anything to keep his mind off of Joey.

He swore softly.

She needed him.

And the longer he waited, the more sure he was.

Now his whole body felt jelly-filled. Kyle jumped to his feet and lifted his arms high as he sucked in a breath. There. Now he could breathe again. But he was still stuck here. In some freakin’ office, waitin’ around like the pansy-ass he was for SOMEONE ELSE to do SOMETHING so he could escape. He was definitely jelly-filled. Lemon.

When his mouth started watering, he finally realized what his stomach had been trying to tell him. He was hungry. Great.

Kyle sighed. His eyes caught sudden movement in the deserted hallway. He jumped forward to get a closer look. It was his Dad. Thank God. His Dad could get him out, even if they did all think he was loony. They hadn’t taken his badge yet, so he was still the big man on campus. Now he was talking to the guard outside the door. Kyle walked closer to hear what was being said.

“No sir,” the guard was saying, “he’s only supposed to be allowed one fifteen minute-“

The voice stopped and Kyle could see a flash of movement as the guard fell to the ground. Kyle saw his Dad remove his hand from the guard‘s head. Holy sh*t. Shapeshifter ahoy.

Kyle backed away from the door and muttered under his breath. “There’s definitely a disturbance in the force.”

The door opened and the guard’s body was dragged in by his father-who-wasn’t-his-father. Outside the door, Kyle saw his real father acting as lookout.

And... now Kyle was in the room alone with the shapeshifter. Kyle eyed him nervously as the man stood and with one flick of his hand, dropped the blinds and covered the windows that looked out into the hospital atrium.

Oh sh*t.

Kyle started backing away. Why’s my Dad helping this guy? Mind control? Oh sh*t!

Kyle’s gaze shot around the room for a weapon. A pen? A phone? A stapler? Kyle almost let out hysterical laughter at the image of him stapling an alien to death.

Then the man/Dad bent over and waved his hand over the guard’s face and clothing. Kyle felt the blood rush from his head. He was now looking at another version of himself, unconscious on the floor, same clothes, same face...

Then a glow lit up the room and Kyle threw up his hands to defend himself. He closed his eyes tight and waited for the death ray to hit, his mind screaming for Joey. He would give anything to see her again... anything to feel her soft lips on his, even if it was the end of everything...

Wait-

Kyle lowered his arms, amazed to be standing. He jumped back as he got a look at the shapeshifter. He was now the image of the guard. He grabbed the unconscious “Kyle” and sat up him at the desk, letting him slump over as if he’d fallen asleep there.

Kyle watched this, trying to shut his gaping mouth, but having no luck. Now, let’s see. My real Dad is outside the room, standing guard. The shapeshifter is now the guard; the guard is now me.

Before Kyle could make it work, the door opened and his real Dad stuck his head in the door. “Kyle, let’s go.”

Kyle blinked. “Well, as much as I want to hang around and see the alien pull a rabbit out of his ass, I think I’ll just go. Thanks, uh...”

“Matpatha,” the alien replied evenly. “And I don’t do rabbits. Too scratchy.”

Kyle froze. “Right.” He looked at his Dad and walked the rest of the way to the door. He caught his Dad’s glance, wondering at the twinkle in his eyes. “Who knew they’d have a sense of humor, huh?”

His Dad clapped him on the back. “Yeah, wait ‘til you get a look at who he turned you into.” Kyle blinked.

Oh great.

TBC...

Part 42 | Index | Part 44
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.