FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Days"
Part 54
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Just a handy-dandy pronunciation guide for one of the more difficult alien names, since it might bug ya’ if you don’t get it right. Joey’s alien name, Millamalinka, is pronounced “Mee-ya-ma-link-a”, sort of a French pronunciation in the first part of the name. So it’s not “Mil-la“, it’s “Mee-ya” for her nickname. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
“Isabel did a very nice job picking out the dress, honey.“ Nancy Parker fluffed Liz‘s skirt and let it fall with a hiss. She straightened and smiled at Liz in approval as she looked into the mirror over her daughter’s shoulder. Their eyes met and there was a long silence. Liz took in a deep breath, afraid of saying something to ruin the moment. It was all so strange that her mother had been acting as though nothing had ever come between them. And now she could suddenly see past the pretension, the posturing... the push to feel “normal.”

Liz pulled her eyes away from her mother’s and contemplated her reflection. There was nothing wrong with a little pretending. After all, it was her wedding day and until now, she had actually felt semi-blissful about it. No feelings of dread, no life-threatening aliens popping up here and there, no more neon plastic...

A sick feeling settled into Liz’s stomach at that thought and she took in another deep breath.

“Liz, are you okay?”

Liz nodded and suddenly looked up at the door. Max? A knock sounded and the door opened to reveal Max’s gorgeous, worried face. “Liz?”

She felt a blushing smile creep across her face. “Max,” she breathed. As he walked into the room, she couldn‘t help but stare. Now she knew what Alex meant.

That was Dagonian?

“Liz?“ Liz hardly felt her mother take her hand. Then suddenly Max was out of her line of vision and she and her mother were face to face. Liz almost pulled away, but the depth of emotion and determination in her mother’s wide, blue eyes stopped her cold.

“Liz, listen to me. Someday, in the future, you are going to question why it all had to happen... all of it.“ Her words had an almost physical weight to them and Liz felt like she could barely breathe. Her mother was talking about the betrayal, the torture, the fear... everything. Liz nodded. “When you do, look back carefully. If you only look at the losses, at the pain, you won’t understand the whole picture. You must remember what you’ve gained, what you’ve conquered through all of it.” Her mother reached up to cup her cheek, smiling shakily. “I will never have to fear for you again. I know that now. No matter where you are.“ Liz looked at her mother until tears blurred her face. Then her mother pulled away. “I’ll leave you two alone.“

She was gone before Liz even knew it, the door closing softly behind her. And it was just the two of them.

******

Maria watched Mrs. Parker enter the sanctuary and head for Mr. Parker. Tears were streaming down her face and her husband looked up at her in concern. She sat down beside him and whispered in his ear. He smiled sadly and pulled her in an embrace. It was strange to see Mrs. Parker huddled against someone like that. She had always been so strong.

Maria looked over at her own mother, who was now giving Michael the third degree... or she might be headed into the fourth by now.

*Make that the fifth.*

Michael didn’t dare pull his eyes away from her mother, Maria noticed with a smirk.

Oh, take it like a man. She‘s just making up for the all the years she won‘t be able to harass you.

She could hear his sigh from across the room. *The way you look in that dress...*

Watch it, space boy... I think my Mom can read minds.

His eyes gleamed as he looked over at her and suddenly, she was breathless. *You think your Mom might shut up if we got hitched tonight?*

Maria’s heart skipped a beat. Then she smiled. Are you kidding? Not only will she shut up, she’ll probably shut down.

*Then, you got yourself a groom.*

******

“Two minutes, you guys,“ Isabel’s voice rang out from the hallway.

“Okay,“ Max whispered as he moved forward, his eyes never leaving Liz. She was staring at him in wonder- love and joy obvious in her face. She was rooted to the spot and he was glad. This way he could appreciate the way her dress brushed the floor elegantly, smoothed her curves, and still left so much bare skin to feast his eyes on.

Suddenly he couldn’t breathe very well and he was glad that he hadn’t opened the connection yet. His eyes were drawn to her flushed chest and the exposed cleavage there. As he stepped close enough to touch her, the flush crept up her neck to her cheeks. Her mouth was slightly open, her eyes bright and shining with love. She looked so alive, so affected by his presence.

She had no idea how beautiful she was.

He swallowed hard.

A small smile crept across her face. “What are you wearing?”

He lost his smile almost immediately, feeling a bit self-conscious. “It’s just... it’s traditional Dagonian dress.”

She raised her eyebrows incredulously. “That?”

His smile was half-embarrassed, half-amused. “Well, traditional for the king.“

Liz bit her bottom lip in a way that made him want to grab her and crush to him. “Hmmm... Dagonians appreciate the male form, that‘s obvious...”

Max finally gave in. He put his hands around her small waist and drew her into him gently. His eyes closed at the bliss of feeling her close to him again- alive, unharmed and finally, all his. The connection sprang to life of its own accord and he felt Liz arch back as his emotions and thoughts flooded into her. Then he was overwhelmed by her- by her scent, by her soft skin, by her love, and the desire she radiated. He felt empowered, hungry and more alive than he’d ever felt before.

******

Liz hardly felt like she existed anymore. She was all Max- his tangible, hard desire for her, his love and fierce possessiveness, and the strength of his resolve to protect her forever. It was exhilarating and consuming.

I missed you. I missed this. Why have you been blocking me?

Max groaned against her, his lips finding her neck. *Insanity. Forgive me...*

She restlessly grabbed his head and brought his lips to hers. They caressed each other softly, then slid into complete oneness. She felt his response, his love, and tears sprang in her eyes. It was beautiful, so beautiful to be loved like this...

A low growl from the back of Max’s throat made her shiver. *I haven’t even gotten started yet.*

Someone knocked at the door. Oh yeah, Isabel.

“Go away,” Max growled and slid his hands up Liz’s neck until they held her face immobile. Then he kissed her hard, with such pent-up desire and frustration that she felt herself melting, felt her knees go weak-

“Max, I’m coming in!”

Liz gasped at the abrupt ending to the kiss, leaning against Max heavily as she got her equilibrium back.

*Sorry...*

She looked up to see a disheveled-looking Max with a wildness and intensity in his eyes that excited her. He looked about a hair‘s breadth away from losing all control.

*God help me, I am...*

Liz flushed and reached up to touch his soft lips.

“Please, guys, there‘s a roomful of people waiting for this,” Isabel exclaimed from the front of the room.

Max kissed her fingers and then slowly moved her hand away from his face. *Later.*

Liz took in a deep breath and tried to calm her breathing.

“Thank you.“ Isabel sighed. “I seriously hope this is the last time I have horn dog detail.” She crossed to them and pulled Liz away from Max. “Just a minute, your big brotherness, I have to fix the damage you’ve done.” Liz looked down as Isabel fluffed her dress again and straightened one shoulder of her gown. Then she frowned. “Liz, you’re all flushed. Max, could you fix her, please?” She stepped out of the way and Liz turned to Max again. She felt the heat from his hand as he slowly waved it over the low front of her dress and up the tingling skin of her neck. The slight movement brought Liz’s eyes to the play of muscles in his bare arm.

Which reminds me, I haven’t really had any time to appreciate this traditional Dagonian wear yet...

*Oh god...* Max lowered his hand and watched her with warning eyes. *Be nice.*

Liz felt Isabel fussing with the veil that was attached to the cascade of curls in back. Perfect.

She tilted her head to the side slightly and let her gaze wander down the tight white pants that were made out of something similar to leather. Max drew his mouth to the side, in what Liz always thought was his smug look. “Becta skin... it’s the royal animal.”

“Becta skin.“ She let strange name roll off of her tongue and followed the line of his lean thigh muscles (all wrapped up in becta skin) to the trim abs that were barely covered by the vest of the same material. The vest was plain, like the pants, but there was some sort of design drawn around the neck of it. Since there were no buttons on it, or any kind of fastening, it would be pretty easy to get off...

Liz stepped closer and reached out to touch the thick, blue scrollwork that started where the material met at the juncture of his pecs and wove around the neckline.

Max had an armband of white becta skin fastened around the bicep of his right arm. Liz moved her hand down to touch it. Almost immediately, her hand slid under the band to the soft skin that covered the hard muscle there.

She felt Max tense.

“Okay, that’s it. She looks ready to me.”

Max’s eyes crinkled as he smiled. “I think you’re right, Izzy.”

Liz raised her eyebrows. *I don’t think that‘s what she meant, Maxwell Phillip Evans.*

“Okay, then, let’s go.” Isabel headed to the door, looking back at them pointedly. The buoyancy Liz had felt dissipated as soon as the door was open. She felt a tightness in her chest.

Max offered Liz his arm, his eyes growing concerned. “Do you mind if I walk you down the aisle? This time, I’m not leaving your side.”

Liz slipped her hand into the crook of his elbow, feeling the hum that meant she was home. Tears filled her eyes and she was suddenly too choked up to speak.

*Please.*

Max leaned over and kissed her cheek, then settled his forehead against hers. *This is the good part, remember?*

Liz smiled and closed her eyes. Definitely... definitely good.

Part 53 | Index | Part 55
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.