FanFic - Max/Liz
"Darkest Days"
Part 55
by Ash
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the original characters from “Roswell.“ They belong to Melinda Metz and Jason Katims and the wonderful people at WB. I have invented a slew of characters to go with ‘em, though and I hope the originals aren’t too insulted to have them mix and mingle and perhaps fall in love here or there.
Summary: This has become an alternate universe over the course of the other three stories. It was in line with the show through “Sexual Healing” and then my own version of Tess hit the atmosphere in “Captivated by Darkness.“ Two years later, we picked up the story and began the mythology with “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ where Liz was transformed and they met Christopher in L.A. Next came “Fading Into Twilight” which was NOT a wedding fic, but did contain the ill-fated nuptials which led our characters to this point. Now, in my AU, remember that I diverge from the show and Sheriff Valenti is still an unknown quantity, Pierce doesn’t exist, my Tess is very dead (and deservedly so) and the Evans and Mrs. Parker know the truth about the aliens.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To Sheeijan and Abs, both of whom are excellent ‘backers and obsessors. Just a handy-dandy pronunciation guide for one of the more difficult alien names, since it might bug ya’ if you don’t get it right. Joey’s alien name, Millamalinka, is pronounced “Mee-ya-ma-link-a”, sort of a French pronunciation in the first part of the name. So it’s not “Mil-la“, it’s “Mee-ya” for her nickname. Title comes from Remy Zero’s “Yellow Light,” featured in The White Room episode from season one.
Joey bit at her hangnail, absently pulling on Nathan’s arm as she did so. They were at the front of the church, waiting on Liz and Max’s entrance.

“What’s the crack,” Nathan whispered.

Joey shook her head and forced her hand back down by her side. “Nothing. I’m... just...”

“Having a difficult time of it, right?” She looked to see his blue eyes fixed on her keenly. “I mean, it hasn’t escaped my notice that we’re the only ones not paired up romantically. Yet here we are together, anyway.”

Joey’s unhappy eyes roamed the other couples standing at the front. Yep, there they were: Shelley and Christopher, Tug and Delia, Michael and Maria, Alex and Isabel, all looking blissfully happy. Joey sighed. “Yeah, it is just a bit depressing.”

“There’s no hope for you that earache of a human?”

Joey’s eyes sought Kyle out on the second row, sitting with his Dad and Amy Deluca. She smiled at Nathan’s description. “An earache, huh?”

Nathan snorted. “Does he ever stop talking?”

“He was worse around Max. And you. I don’t know why.”

“I do.” Nathan gave her a long look. “Because if he weren’t in the picture, I certainly would try my best at making you appreciate the perks of Dagonian relationships versus the inter-species kind.”

Joey looked up at him, startled. His light blue eyes were serious. She looked over his handsome face for what seemed like the first time. Nathan was a really nice guy. He was just so much older than she that it hadn’t even crossed her mind. But Kyle... she looked out in the pews automatically and her heart skipped a beat. Kyle was watching her with concern, his eyes narrowing as they took in Nathan beside her. His eyebrows shot up and she could just hear him saying, “Is that guy bugging you? ‘Cause if he is...”

Joey smiled and shook her head at him. Kyle relaxed a little.

“Like I said, IF he weren’t in the picture,” Nathan said quietly. “I know the score.”

Joey sighed and felt tears form in her eyes. “That’s really good because I’m not sure that I know the score anymore. I just know that it feels like I’m losing.” She swallowed hard.

Nathan leaned over and kissed her on top of the head. Joey tightened her grip on his arm. She could get through this. Just three more hours.

******

Kyle gripped the back of the pew in front of him fiercely. If they weren’t in a house of God, he’d kick that guy’s ass for kissing Joey like that! But he settled for glaring holes in the guy’s tea-lovin’, crumpet-eatin’ head.

He snorted. The only thing worse than a Brit was an alien Brit.

A low hum filled the church and Kyle looked over to see Mrs. Whitman sitting at the organ. He wasn’t sure, but he didn’t think that was a good thing. After the first blast of overwhelming noise from the corner of the room, he was sure. She was just banging away at it with gusto, even though he was pretty sure that wasn‘t the usual song played at weddings.

Almost immediately, Mrs. Evans stood and several others followed her lead. Kyle pushed himself out of his seat when Amy pinched and hissed at him, “Stand up!“ Then he turned to see what everyone was staring at.

It was Liz in her wedding gown, looking more beautiful, and more fragile that he had ever seen her before. He smiled despite himself. She moved forward steadily, but was gripping Max as though he was her lifeline. Kyle didn’t blame her a bit for being nervous after what happened last time.

And of course, there was King Max beside her, who had somehow managed to get his wedding tux shrunk down enough so that everyone could worship his abs accordingly. Kyle shook his head. How the hell Max got so ripped like that, Kyle had no idea. Had to be some alien mumbo-jumbo. Whatever. He wouldn’t think about it ‘cause it would just piss him off again. Max was just... Max.

Kyle shrugged and his gaze wandered back to Liz as she passed him with a small smile in his direction. He nodded and gave her a small wave. After worrying about her for so long and imagining the horrible things she’d been through, it was just... wonderful to see her so happy.

******

Maria was bawling and trying to wipe away her tears in a way that wouldn‘t totally demolish her mascara. Liz looked so beautiful, and Max looked so kingly. It was perfect, absolutely perfect!

They came to the end of the aisle and the music stopped- perfect timing!

******

Alex winced as the final notes of “Endless Love” faded away. He just hoped that no one else recognized the melody. It was one of his Mom’s favorite songs from the eighties (Diana Ross, he thought) and one of the only ones she could play on the organ. If he’d just had his guitar with him-

*ALEX! Pay attention!* Isabel’s sharp poke in his ribs brought him up quick.

Yes, dear.

******

Michael swallowed hard. There was all this junk in his throat. Liz looked okay. In fact, she looked beautiful. He stopped blocking her.

Liz, you alright?

She looked over in his direction with surprise. *I’m fine. I guess this thing isn’t going to fade after all, huh?*

Michael smiled. I hope not. I have to check up on you every now and then.

**Guys, could we?**

Michael looked over at Max and grinned. Sure thing, Maxichat. Wedding away!

******

Max shot Michael a warning look before he felt the connection fade. He wasn’t jealous anymore, but Liz didn’t NEED Michael to take care of-

*Max, I think we’re supposed to be listening.*

Oh. Wedding. He fixed his eyes on the preacher. Sorry, just being-

*Overprotective and territorial. I know.*

Max glanced over at her and had to smile at the mischievous look on Liz’s face. *He’s my brother, just like Izzy’s your sister. And are you ever going to stop protecting Izzy? Or Joey, for that matter?*

No.

*Well, then. How can you expect Michael to?*

Max stared into her eyes and smiled again. You’re right.

*Of course I am. Get used to it.*

He watched, enthralled, as she licked her lips nervously. What he wouldn’t give to kiss her right now, to crush her to him and-

*Oh, Max...*

“MAX!” The sudden hissing whisper in his ear made him jump. He looked over to see Alex gesturing to the preacher with an exasperated expression. Max looked up to see the man staring at him blankly.

“Sorry, sir.” Max heard a few snickers from around him. “What were you saying?”

The preacher cleared his throat and muttered under his breath. “This just keeps getting better and better.”

He sighed loudly. “So, let’s try this again, shall we? Mr. Evans, do you take Elizabeth Ann Parker to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?”

Max looked over at Liz. She was waiting with starry eyes and flushed cheeks. “I do.” He made sure to say it loud enough for everyone to hear.

Liz smiled, then looked up at the preacher. “Elizabeth Ann Parker, do you take Maxwell Phillip Evans to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, as long as you both shall live?”

Liz turned back to Max with tears swimming in her eyes. “I do,” she barely choked out, squeezing his hand weakly. One tear rolled down her face and Max reached up to wipe it away. He leaned over and kissed her cheek lightly.

“Mr. Evans, we haven’t gotten to that part yet.”

Max pulled back from Liz and looked up to the preacher in shock. The light sound of laughter echoed in the small room. “Uh... sorry.” Max felt like he was five years old again.

“It’s okay,” the preacher said in exasperation. “It’s my nightmare, not yours. I just wish I could end the stupid thing. Let’s get it over with, shall we? You do you have a ring, don‘t you?”

Max could feel the tremors from Liz’s body as she tried not to laugh. “Yes, I do.” He turned to Alex, who promptly held up a silver band. Max frowned at him. Alex raised his eyebrows in question.

“That’s not mine, Alex.”

“Oh!” Alex fished around and got out another box. He switched the rings and pulled out a gold band with an apologetic smile. “Here you go. Sorry. Wrong box.”

Max let out the breath he didn’t even know he was holding in. “Thanks.”

He turned to Liz and she held out her hand. He took it gently, caressing the slender fingers and delicate palm as he listened to the preacher.

“Repeat after me, please... ‘With this ring, I thee wed...’”

“With this ring, I thee wed...”

******

Liz could see the love in Max’s eyes, could feel the gentleness of his touch but she felt desire from him pushing all those thoughts away. She was positive that she was supposed to be listening, but how was it possible when he was barely wearing that vest at all and all those muscles were just screaming to be touched-

Suddenly Max’s hand squeezed hers hard and she gasped.

*Stop it, sweetness, or I’ll never make it!*

She looked up to see the dark look on his face and tried to keep from laughing at the mix of emotions he was sending out. If they weren’t here with a roomful of people-

“Liz-” he said in a strangled voice.

She bit her bottom lip and looked up at the preacher. As she feared, he had once again stopped and was glaring at them. She felt Max trying to breathe and calm his thoughts.

“Sorry,” she whispered to both of them. “Where were we?”

The preacher seemed to be getting a bit sarcastic. “Amazingly enough, we had actually made it through the groom’s ring vows and were beginning the insurmountable task of getting the bride to repeat hers. I don’t suppose you’re interested in continuing, are you?”

This time, it was Max who was shaking with barely suppressed laughter. Liz looked as meek as possible and nodded. She turned to Maria, whose face was a study of shock, hilarity and general weepiness. Maria held up the thick gold band and handed to Liz without preamble.

Liz smiled and took the ring and a deep breath before turning back to Max. He had gotten his composure back and Liz made sure to look him in the eyes and not any part of his delicious anatomy.

*Sweetness-*

She took his hand and pushed the ring up onto his finger. Immediately, she was flooded with memories. This was the hand he had used to heal her and she could remember every sensation of that day- the pain of the wound, the cold air as it hit her chest, his warm hand and the pleasure that filled her body as he healed the bloody wound.

She looked up to see that his warm eyes remembered the day as well and their shared emotions choked her until she could barely rouse herself to whisper the vows aloud. She felt them so deeply in her heart that it hurt. “With this ring... I thee wed... and all my worldly goods... I thee endow.”

And then the magic words floated down from the preacher. “This is the part where I normally say that you may kiss the bride, but I think I may skip that and go straight to the pronouncement, otherwise I might never make it to that part. So, I now present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Max Evans.”

Liz and Max stared at each other and then turned to the now clapping, cheering audience.

Liz bit her bottom lip uncertainly. Does that mean we get to kiss now?

Max looked over at her seriously. “I’d like to see somebody try to stop me.” He leaned down to her, and Liz closed her eyes as his scent washed over her. He brushed his lips across her face and finally stopped to caress her mouth gently with his own. It was over before Liz even knew it, even though she felt how much he wanted to continue it. He pulled away with blazing eyes that made her gulp convulsively. He was close to losing control.

“Oh,” she said and lowered her head. Why was she blushing? She had no idea.

“Would you guys walk so we can get on with the next wedding, please?” Alex said behind them.

“Oh, sorry.” Max took Liz’s hand and clasped it tight.

Liz passed her bouquet to Isabel and then walked down the aisle with her husband. Her heart skipped a beat at the thought.

*Well, I’m not your husband yet- not technically, I mean.*

Liz stopped as they reached the fourier and turned to him. Well we can fix that, right?

Max smiled down at her and took a deep breath. “We can go anywhere you want to go. Just name the place.”

Liz’s eyes widened. “Anywhere?” He nodded and again, she felt like a child on Christmas morning. They could go somewhere romantic, like Paris and get a honeymoon suite, or maybe to Niagara Falls, the biggest honeymoon spot of them all, or to the beach, so she could enjoy her Max to the fullest. But then it was nighttime and they only had a few hours left on earth.

Max reached for her hand as she felt a sadness overtake her. She looked up. “I know where I want to go. I just don‘t know if it‘s a good idea.”

He smiled and brushed away the tear that fell down her cheek. “It’s a great idea. And it’s already ready for you, sweetness.” He pulled her close and whispered huskily in her ear. “I wanted to make this perfect for you, and I figured that‘s where you would want to go.”

Part 54 | Index | Part 56
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.