FanFic - Max/Liz
"Driving Lessons"
Part 2
by Karen
Disclaimer: I don't own anything related to Roswell.
Summary: Max makes Liz a promise; Liz and Max conspire to bring Michael and Maria together.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: There are no evil aliens here, no FBI to run from, no Tess to deal with. This is just the way I would envision M&L's relationship to be if things were normal. Enjoy!
Max pulled the jeep to a stop somewhere in the desert, and asked Liz how she felt about emergency brakes - did anything about the noise they made turn her on? If so, he could sit there all night pulling it, releasing it, pulling it, releasing it. She smacked his arm as they climbed out of the jeep. Max grabbed his backpack from the back seat and took her hand.

Liz could see nothing ahead of them. Nothing of importance, anyway. "What is this, Max?" she asked.

"Just come with me."

They walked for a while in silence, just enjoying the feel of the night air and the company of each other. After a few minutes, Max pulled them to a halt. They were standing on the edge of a cliff, and before them were nothing but stars. They seemed to surround them on all sides, and Liz gasped.

"It's a lake." Max explained. "In the day it doesn't look like much - maybe a good place to fish. But at night..." His voice trailed off as he looked to the sky. "At night the water reflects the light of the stars, and if you stand on this little cliff, they seem to surround you." He looked down into her eyes. "This must be what it's like to be in space."

"It's beautiful," Liz said in awe.

"So are you, Liz."

It was a corny comeback, but when Max said it Liz didn't feel that way. Maybe because he'd said it with all of his soul, and it was all truth.

"So are you," she said softly. She brought her hand up to his chest and could feel the muscles beneath her fingertips. "No secrets?"

Max shook his head. "None."

She bit her lip. "If this is what space is like, then this is what your home would be like." She paused, lightly running her finger down the buttons of his flannel shirt. "I want to see you in your home. I want to see all of you."

Max considered this for a moment, then dropped the backpack. He reached in and pulled out a blanket, which he spread on the ground. Nudity was nothing new to him and Liz, nor was intimacy. But he suddenly felt self-conscious. He wasn't sure why. Maybe it was because they'd never been nude or intimate outside before. He started to remove his leather jacket, but Liz's small hand on his arm stopped him.

"And I get to undress you."

Max swallowed. "Okay."

She started with his hair, running her fingers through its thickness as she looked into his eyes. The stars were bright enough that she could read all of his expressions, and she could tell he was a little apprehensive. Nudity had always meant sex was on the way, or sex had come and gone. But now she was asking him to just be himself, to present himself before her without any purpose other than for her viewing pleasure. She understood that could be intimidating.

"I would never hurt you, Max," she said as she dropped her hands to his shoulders.

"I know that."

"Then don't be afraid of this." She ran her hands under this jacket and across his chest. The heavy leather fell to the ground with a thud. Without taking her eyes from his, she slowly undid the buttons of his shirt. She could feel his heart beating beneath her fingertips, and she noted that it was pumping a little faster than normal. She gave him a reassuring smile and kissed the skin over his heart. He drew in a breath, but didn't attempt to pull away.

Liz grabbed the sides of his shirt and pulled it from his pants, then that too was on the ground. She stepped back to look at him in the starlight - from the waist up he was all muscle. She liked the way those muscles shifted beneath his skin when he moved, the way she could make out their definition.

She stepped forward again and knelt to the ground. Placing a hand behind his calf, she wordlessly motioned for him to lift his foot. She removed first one shoe and sock, then the other. Then she stood and put her arms around his bare shoulders.

"Are you cold?" she asked, concerned.

"No," he said weakly. "Just the opposite."

She gave a little laugh and let her hands move to his zipper. She heard him draw in a quick breath as she popped the top button. Slowly, tantalizingly, she lowered his zipper and pulled his jeans to the ground. He stepped out of them obediently. Then her fingers were on his boxers, and soon those were gone, too.

She took another step back and this time inhaled sharply. God, he was beautiful. She felt the welcome sting of tears in her eyes as she appraised him.

Max shifted self-consciously, not sure where to put his hands. Crossing them over his most private parts would definitely look like he was uncomfortable. But, hell, wasn't he? He felt like an exhibit at the Louvre.

"You're beautiful, Max," Liz said through her tears.

The sound of tears in her voice broke Max from his embarrassment and he reached out for her. "Liz, are you okay?"

She nodded, putting her hands on his slim waist. "There's something I want to do," she announced.

"I hope it doesn't involve driving because those seats are going to be uncomfortable on my bare butt," he laughed.

She didn't laugh with him. Her eyes had traveled below his waist, and her hand soon followed. Max drew in another breath, then gasped as he saw Liz lower herself to her knees. This was new.

"Liz," he breathed, barely able to believe it. "Are you sure?"

She nodded slowly, then began to kiss him in places he'd only dreamed of. It wasn't long before Max had his head thrown back, looking up to the stars and wondering why they seemed so much brighter tonight.

Max had undressed Liz in the same manner she had disrobed him - then he'd serviced her in the same way, too. Now they sat together, Liz straddling Max, simply kissing lazily and enjoying each other's company. Finally Liz pulled her lips away, and Max held her tight as she buried her head against his bare shoulder. She didn't think she could ever grow tired of having Max hold her, of having his arms around her so tight it nearly crushed her.

"I want to marry you some day, Max Evans," she said against his skin.

Max stopped the circular motion he was making with his hands on her back. "Liz...." he began.

"It's true, I do." There was a long pause, then Liz asked, "Don't you want to be with me, Max?"

He snorted softly. "Of course I do. But what...what kind of husband would I make for you?"

Liz pulled away from his shoulder and looked into his worried, sorrowful eyes. Her hands went to his hair again, partly because she liked the feel of it, partly because if she was holding on to his head, he had to look at her.

"A perfect one," she replied. "A kind, gentle, caring, sexy one. One who might let me drive his car every now and then." She smiled at that last thought.

Max shifted uncomfortably. "But what about kids?"

"What about them?"

"We don't even know if it would be safe to have a baby - and there certainly isn't anyone we can ask that question."

"So, we'd adopt."

"You wouldn't want one of your own?"

Liz considered. "Maybe - but if I did want to carry a baby, then why couldn't we take a withdrawal from the, uh, 'bank'? I would pick out a donor that had your dark hair, your incredible eyes, and that wonderful sense of humor you try to hide. It would be no different than if you were from here but unable to get me pregnant." Her gaze softened as she touched his face, which was contorted with worry. "Any baby I raised with you would be ours, Max, whether we made it or not." She watched the love cross his face. "So, will you marry me some day, Mr. Evans?"

Max finally smiled and kissed her passionately in response.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.