FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 1: The Ties that Bind"
Part 16
by Carol
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except Josh; they are owned by Melinda Metz and the WB (or whomever!)
Summary: This story involves all characters, but centers around Max and Liz. This takes place a couple of months after Destiny. The Pod Squad meets someone with some answers, Liz is in danger, Mrs. Evans has a shock.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Sheldon and Dee for some valuable feedback, and for the support of my listserv, who really encouraged me! I love this show in an unprecedented way: It feels right--it feels right like nothing has ever felt in my life before.
Liz knocked on the back door of the Evans home. Diane Evans opened it and smiled welcomingly. "Come in, Liz. I sent Max to the grocery store, but we can talk until he gets back, okay?"

"Sure," said Liz, stepping into their kitchen.

"Have a seat at the table. I'm just working on the potato salad for the barbeque."

"This is really nice of you, Mrs. Evans, having everyone over for dinner like this."

"My pleasure, Liz. Besides, I have my selfish reasons. Max's life, his friends, have been something of a mystery to me his whole life. Now I finally have a chance to be a part of it, and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I figured since my husband was out of town, this would be a good time to do it. Everyone can relax and be themselves. I do want him to know someday, though," she added wistfully. "He's my husband, and I don't like keeping secrets from him."

"I understand."

"You know, Liz, I always knew there was something special about Max. Isabel seemed happy, comfortable. But not Max. He's a wonderful son-caring, thoughtful, never any real trouble-but I never felt like he let me in. I used to think it was because he was adopted, like the hurt wouldn't go away that his parents didn't want him. Or maybe he couldn't trust us because they had abandoned him. I could never figure it out . . . until now, of course." She glanced over at Liz. "You must know, Liz, his feelings for you run very deep." She couldn't bring herself to say, "Don't hurt him" out loud, but Liz must have felt what was on her mind.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Evans. I love him. I would never hurt him."

Mrs. Evans looked embarrassed. She must be very transparent, indeed.

"How about peeling these hard-boiled eggs for me?"

Liz stood at the sink and started on the eggs. "Are you okay, Mrs. Evans? I mean . . . about everything? Max is still worried about you."

Mrs. Evans stopped what she was doing and thought for a moment. "First, Liz, call me Diane. I have a feeling we'll be spending lots of time together. As for how I'm doing, all I can say is . . . Wow. I mean has life ever handed anyone a bigger surprise than this? It's something I couldn't have dreamed up in a million years. And yet, for some reason, I feel like it's going to be okay. They are still Isabel and Max, they are still wonderful, and now I have the privilege of being a part of something extraordinary." She stopped and smiled at Liz. "I think the future is very bright."

"So do I," grinned Max as he entered the kitchen. He set down the groceries and surveyed the scene. "Isn't this domestic? My two best girls working on dinner in the kitchen." He set the groceries down, kissed his mother on the cheek, and added with a gleam in his eye, "But I'm abducting this one for a few minutes, okay, Mom?" He started to pull Liz toward the back door.

Diane Evans laughed. "I guess I can spare her, but remember . . . ," her voice rose as they disappeared through the door, "everyone will be here in half an hour. Don't disappear on me!"

"We won't," she heard him yell back.

Max sat on the porch swing and pulled Liz into his lap. He kissed her lightly. "I see you're getting along with my mom."

"Of course. She's very nice, and she loves you very much."

"Liz, I hardly know how to act." There was a sense of wonder in Max's voice, a disbelieving expression on his face. "My mom has been incredible about all of this. I don't know how she absorbed everything so well. And now I'm with you, I mean, really with you. And we have a better sense of our past now, and yes . . ." he looked at Liz happily, "a very, very bright future. I've never been so happy, so free. It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

Liz watched his beautiful face light up and it made her whole being light up, too. "Then maybe you'll have more time now to pay attention to me," she teased.

Max turned toward her and his eyes grew intense with love and desire. "There isn't enough time in the universe to show you how much I love you," he answered hoarsely. "But we have to start somewhere." His mouth found hers, searching, wanting. It was never enough and all he could want at the same time. He ran his fingers through her silky hair, smelled her sweet fragrance, tasted her mouth, her skin. His breathing was ragged when he pulled back. He'd been exercising excruciating self-control for ten years, but it was never as hard as this.

"Someday, Liz Parker," and his eyes held hers. She nodded. "But for now . . . ."

"Max!" called Mrs. Evans. "Your friends are starting to arrive."

"Coming!" Max called back. They stood and walked into the Evans home, hand in hand.

Part 15 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.