FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 1: The Ties that Bind"
Part 2
by Carol
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except Josh; they are owned by Melinda Metz and the WB (or whomever!)
Summary: This story involves all characters, but centers around Max and Liz. This takes place a couple of months after Destiny. The Pod Squad meets someone with some answers, Liz is in danger, Mrs. Evans has a shock.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Sheldon and Dee for some valuable feedback, and for the support of my listserv, who really encouraged me! I love this show in an unprecedented way: It feels right--it feels right like nothing has ever felt in my life before.
Max sat propped against the headboard, his knees drawn to his chin, his head resting on folded arms. He couldn't sleep, so much Liz running through his mind. All along, he knew letting her into his life could wind up hurting them. Hadn't he told her as much in the bio lab that day when he felt his resolve dwindling? "Liz," he had said. "I think what I'm afraid of is not that we try this thing and it works out really badly. What I'm afraid of is that we try this and it works out really well. Because I know it's not meant to be. And somewhere down the line, we're gonna get hurt. I can live with that, but I just couldn't bear to hurt you." At the time, she had reminded him that it was her decision, and he had been persuaded to abandon common sense and succumb to the emotions he had held at bay for so long. But he hadn't realized how painfully, agonizingly true his words would be. He never knew such pain existed.

A noise at his door caught his attention, and he turned to see Izzie easing his door open.

"Max! You're awake! I came to wake you. I just had the most bizarre dream, and I had to tell you about it."

Max threw his head back against the wall. "Iz, it's the middle of the night. Can't this wait?"

"You're up anyway and this might really be important, Max. By the way, why are you up?"

"Couldn't sleep, that's all. So what's the big deal about this dream?"

Isabel told Max all the details she could remember about her dream, leaving out any reference to Alex. Max was skeptical. "We all have weird dreams sometimes, Iz. What makes you think there is anything real about this? After everything that's happened, it's no wonder you are having strange dreams."

"This was different, Max. I wasn't having a weird dream. At first, it was perfectly normal, and then this guy Josh just . . . shows up! Max, he was dreamwalking me. If anyone should recognize that, it's me."

"So he just entered a normal dream? What were you dreaming about?"

Isabel looked down and blushed. Max smiled. "We're a pair, aren't we? You go to sleep to dream of Alex, and I can't sleep thinking of Liz." His head dropped to his arms again. "How did it get so crazy, Iz?"

"I don't know, Max." Isabel pulled herself up to sit beside her brother. "If there is a Josh, and there is any truth to what he says, we'd better listen. He might be able to tell us more about ourselves and any danger we might be facing."

"Do you remember what Nasedo said about the orbs? He said if we used them, there was no telling who else we would be drawing to us. What if he was right?"

Isabel sighed. "I'll try to go back to sleep and see if Josh comes again. In any case, we'll have to tell the others. We all need to be watchful."

They sat deep in thought for a moment. Then Max turned mournful eyes to Isabel. "Sometimes I wish I hadn't insisted on using those orbs that day. We wouldn't have heard our mother's message, we wouldn't have exposed ourselves to even more danger, and we'd still be with the ones we love." He shook his head slowly. "Was it worth it?"

Isabel saw the pain in his eyes and felt her own heart tighten. "I don't know, Max. I just don't know."

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.