FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 1: The Ties that Bind"
Part 8
by Carol
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except Josh; they are owned by Melinda Metz and the WB (or whomever!)
Summary: This story involves all characters, but centers around Max and Liz. This takes place a couple of months after Destiny. The Pod Squad meets someone with some answers, Liz is in danger, Mrs. Evans has a shock.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Thanks to Sheldon and Dee for some valuable feedback, and for the support of my listserv, who really encouraged me! I love this show in an unprecedented way: It feels right--it feels right like nothing has ever felt in my life before.
Isabel ran down the stairs, determined to find Tess. There were a hundred thoughts misfiring in her brain-her mom, Max, Liz, Josh, Alex-they were all mixed up together like some bizarre jigsaw puzzle she couldn't seem to fit together. Focus, Isabel, she told herself. One thing at a time.

She grabbed her keys and swung open the door to find Tess coming up the walk.

"Tess! Thank God you're here. We need you to do something."

Tess looked startled. "I just came to see Max. He seemed upset earlier and I thought he could use a friend."

Isabel looked down at Tess knowingly. "You thought you'd move in on him while he's vulnerable. I've told you before. Don't bother. He's a goner. But you can help him. Liz is missing and when I tried to dreamwalk her just now, I only got snatches of conversation and a look at the two men with her. We think the FBI has taken her. Call Nasedo, please. Tell him to find out what his agents are up to and put a stop to it."

Tess considered what Isabel had told her. "Nasedo is really busy now, trying to convince people he's Pierce and keeping an eye on us. The FBI isn't going to do anything to Liz. She's human. They'll let her go. What are you worried about?"

"Tess, who knows what they might do to her trying to get information. How can you be so cold? Besides, you said you wanted to be a friend to Max. This definitely qualifies. Since you've never gotten around to sharing Nasedo's contact information with the rest of us, I assumed you'd make the call, but maybe you'd better just give me the number."

"No. That's okay. I'll do it. I'll call tonight. Can I go up and see Max first?"

"Sure, but I don't think he feels like talking."

Tess walked up the stairs and found Max's room empty. She glanced across the hall and saw him sitting on Isabel's bed, his arm around his mother. They were both sitting very still, staring at nothing.

"Max?" Tess entered tentatively. "I just came to see if you're okay."

"Go home, Tess," Max mumbled. He looked exhausted.

"Max!" his mother scolded. She looked up at Tess, watching her closely as if seeing her for the first time.

"Hi, Mrs. Evans."

"I'm sorry we're not more hospitable tonight, Tess. Perhaps tomorrow would be a better time to visit."

Tess stood awkwardly in the doorway. Clearly, she wasn't going to have any time alone with Max. She suppressed her irritation and smiled thinly.

"Okay, I'll stop by tomorrow. Bye, Max."

There was no response, so she turned and walked down the stairs. "I'll see you tomorrow, Isabel."

"Let me know what Nasedo says," Isabel reminded her.

"I will." Tess almost ran from the house in frustration. Call Nasedo? Not likely, she thought.

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.