FanFic - Max/Liz
"Fading into Twilight"
Part 13
by Ash
Disclaimer: It’s not me, really. It’s all them: Melinda Metz (the creator of such amazing characters), Jason Katims (the perpetrator of such a lovely t.v. show with those same main characters), and the actors who flesh them out for us so wonderfully. Please take no offense at my offering; this is just a tribute, not a theft. :0))
Summary: Tess is gone. Doug is gone. Both aliens brought more harm and fear than good. But there is more out there “than is dreamt of” in their philosophy. More to discover, more to fear. More danger approaches as they move toward learning about their origins, their purpose.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is an alternate reality to WB's Roswell. My characters are in line with the show up through "Sexual Healing" and then we deviate into "Captivated by Darkness", and two years later, we see the group in “Fight the Break of Dawn,“ the prequel for this story. My storyline doesn't follow the show at all after Sexual Healing: so remember, Topolski never returned, Max was never tortured, Nasedo never told them they were part human and the Mom-0-Gram never happened. Try and bend your mind around that!! Dedication: to Irene, Joey, Miranda and Bella, who are such encouragements to me; you make it worth while-- really!!!
Joey was actually biting her fingernails. She hadn’t done that in years. But the expectations were killing her. They were driving toward a place she had dreamed of all her life... home. She glanced over at Isabel again as she capably eased the car around a turn. Joey couldn’t help but add that on the already long list of embarrassing things about herself: she didn’t know how to drive.

She felt like a side show. “Come see the homeless alien. She’s dirty; she’s ugly and she’s about to get rejected completely. Great show for a buck.”

She wished with everything in her that she’d felt comfortable enough to use her powers to get cleaned up again. But she’d been so nervous that someone else might be watching... someone like that hunter.

They were slowing down in front of a house. No. She couldn’t get out. She couldn’t meet her- their mother.

The ignition was turned off. It was happening too fast. She wasn’t ready. Isabel got out of the car. Obviously she expected Joey to follow. But she was sadly mistaken. Joey wasn’t following. In fact, Joey wasn’t moving at all. Currently, Joey was contemplating running. Or maybe just disappearing. Was that one of her powers? Her desperation might make it possible. She almost wanted to try, even if it did call a hunter, or was totally irreversible or something horrible like that.

A sudden noise made her jump. The door was opening beside her. Joey gripped her thighs with sudden, unreasonable terror. She had faced down an alien hunter tonight, but she couldn’t even look over at the two figures revealed by the open door. She wanted to, but she just couldn’t. Her eyes watered and her throat constricted until it hurt.

“Joey,” the sweetest voice whispered. A beautiful breath of perfume enveloped the car and Joey knew it was from her. “There’s no pressure, honey. You’re just here for as long as you need it. We know who you are and we just want you to be safe while you figure it all out, okay?”

A hot flush crept up Joey’s neck as she continued to fight her emotions. She choked down hard on a sob and managed to nod. But her body wouldn’t move. With frustration, she felt the first tear rolling down her cheek and she swiped it away.

Then Isabel knelt beside her and Joey was able to glance at her sideways. “Come on, sis. Come see your room. You’ll love it. I mean, it’s got to be better than a park bench.”

She smiled painfully at Isabel, still amazed at how clueless she really was. A house meant nothing to Joey. But a family... did Isabel have any idea how being called “sis” just released sparkling beams of pure joy inside her? Even her tears were transformed into happy ones by that one word. She reached out and took Isabel’s hand and clutched it as she climbed out of the car. Not practical, but absolutely necessary. And she stood, finally, her eyes coming to rest on the lovely woman with Isabel. She was smiling at Joey with tears in her own eyes.

And she laughed at Joey’s puzzled look. “You looked so much like Max earlier tonight when he was upset, just sitting there, trying so hard to be strong. And, oh my, just look at you...”

Joey was mesmerized as the woman reached out her hands and held Joey’s face between them. Her hands were soft and her wide blue eyes seemed to take in everything. Joey felt like she might have even seen into her soul.

“Amazing. I would have recognized you anywhere. You look so much like my Max.” Then she was pulling Joey in her arms and the fear left Joey in a rush.

Mrs. Evans really cared about her, even though she knew Joey was an alien, even though she knew that she’d been a cast-off for years. How could she have ever dreamed up something so wonderful? For once, reality licked the fantasy world hollow.

******

Kyle flipped the channels aimlessly. Nothing good on. He took another slug of beer and forced it down. Nothing tasted good. Nothing felt good. No one was home. They were all at the hospital, with Maria.

He took another slug. He felt like slime. He’d hurt Liz, hurt Maria and then hurt Liz again.

Nothing was ever going to be the same again. He might survive this night, but it sure the hell wouldn’t be because he wanted to. The jangling of keys caught his attention before the doorknob started turning.

Dad. Great.

“Kyle,” his Dad said as he walked in the door. “You know something really strange happened tonight.” He put his hat on the rack and came to stand between Kyle and the t.v.

“Great view, Dad,” Kyle’s voice sounded dead even to himself.

His dad reached over for the remote and clicked the t.v. off.

“I was watching that.”

“Kyle, I know you switched off the radio after intercepting an important report, which you then failed to give me. By the time I got out to the school, there was nobody there and everything was clean as a whistle, which I’m somehow sure you already know.”

Kyle felt his Dad’s piercing gaze. But he wasn’t giving anything away. Not this time, Dad.

“So who were you protecting tonight, Kyle?”

Kyle felt his lips tighten. Man, his Dad didn’t screw around. He didn’t want to lie, so he just didn’t answer. He kept his gaze fastened on the dead t.v.

“I’m warning you, Kyle, stay away from Max Evans and his friends.”

Kyle couldn’t help the stunned look from his face. “Who said anything about Max Evans?”

“Kyle,” his Dad pointed at him and shook his head seriously. “I’m not kidding. Stay away.”

“No problem, Dad,” Kyle finally answered, his eyes back on the blank screen. His gut started churning again. “After what I did tonight, it’s not a problem.”

“Good. I don’t want to see you get hurt, Kyle.”

“Now there‘s something we can agree on,” Kyle muttered, then took a big slug from his beer.

“And you are planning on going to bed after you’re little pity party, right, son?”

“Right. No driving for me tonight. Thanks for the reminder, Dad,” Kyle managed a spark of his usual sarcastic smile as his dad headed up the stairs...

To the quiet part of the house where Amy was doing her best to ignore her lover’s son and where Maria’s bed lay quiet and empty.

One more slug.

******

Liz walked into the apartment with every nerve jangling. “Mom?”

“Lizzie,” her father answered, coming out from the master bedroom. “Mom just went down to the kitchen to borrow some ice cream. How’s Maria? I was planning on going on to the hospital, but we had some customers who liked their coffee and didn’t want to take the hint to leave.”

Liz crossed to him, relieved that she wouldn‘t need to try to persuade her Mom to meet Max downstairs. “Maria’s okay, I guess. She looks horrible, though.”

And a shiver ran through her body at the memory of Maria’s bandaged face and body. Her father pulled her into a hug.

“Sounds like she was pretty lucky. I still can’t believe Kyle could do something that stupid.”

Liz pulled back and looked at her father in surprise.

“Well, I know,” her father started as he walked around her. “I don’t usually say that, but I just don’t know what else to call it. It was just plain stupid, driving fifty miles per hour on a residential street.”

“Kyle knows that,” she said quickly. “And he feels horrible about it, just like everyone else.”

*Shut up, Liz. How can you even stand to say that crap?*

Liz flustered and decided to head to her bedroom before her conversation with Michael made her father suspicious.

“I’m gonna’ get ready for bed. I’m exhausted.”

“Alright, sweetie. Your Mom will be back up in a minute.”

Liz nodded and walked down the hall to her room. Michael, get out of my head, she directed at him.

*I’m coming over.*

Wait, no, she stopped walking and panicked slightly. Max is downstairs and he’s trying to talk to Mom- alone.

*Fine. I won’t bother them. I need to see you.*

Liz went into her room and shut the door behind her. What was he hiding from her? She could sense thoughts of Maria, but his emotions were still so overwhelming...

*Stop trying to dig around in my head, Liz. I’ll be there in a minute and I’ll tell you.*

Well, I’m getting changed, so ignore me for a minute.

*Okay, go ahead. I’ll think about skunks or something...*

Liz smiled. The things you have to do to get privacy around here...

*Ha ha.*

******

Max shifted his weight nervously as he watched for Liz’s signal from upstairs. Then a noise from the kitchen caught his attention.

“Hello,” he called, not wanting to startle whoever it was.

Silence met his voice and piqued his curiosity. “Who’s there?”

When no one answered, he walked around to the kitchen entrance, ready for anything. It could be a burglar...

But in the bluish half light, he saw Mrs. Parker. The look on her face stopped him in his tracks. She looked terrified.

His first impulse was to calm her down, and his second was a perverse satisfaction. After what she had done to him, maybe she deserved to sweat it out a little bit.

He blinked and shook his head. Thinking like that was unacceptable- and not helpful at all.

“Mrs. Parker,” he said as gently as possible. “It’s just me, Max.”

“I can see that,” she said in a clipped voice, not moving.

“I wanted to talk to you, anyway,” he began to walk forward, but she shrank back against the counter. He froze.

How in the hell could he talk her out of being afraid if she wouldn’t even let him get near her? He scrubbed at his face with one hand wearily, just wishing he could force her to see the truth. “I got the tape and I destroyed it. Are there any more bugs in the apartment or anywhere else?”

Even though it technically wasn’t possible for a person to look more frightened than Mrs. Parker already looked, somehow she managed to take it up a notch. Her face was drained of all color. “No,” she whispered.

Max stared at her a moment, unsure of whether or not he could trust her answer. Was she too scared to answer truthfully, or too scared to lie? He’d have no way of knowing.

So he forced the issue by taking a step forward. “Are there any other tapes or bugs I need to know about?”

She blanched visibly at the edge in his voice. “No. Max. And this- this wasn’t supposed to endanger you in any way. Larry said he would threaten you, that was all. I was... just trying to keep you away... from Liz...” To Max’s amazement, she started to cry. He fought his urge to go over to her as she continued. “And I thought that- I thought that Larry might keep you away. I didn’t want you to get hurt, I was just... desperate to keep her safe.”

Max shook his head as he watched her wipe at her eyes. “But don’t you understand that anyone who gets information like this is going to use it against her? There’s no telling what Larry would have done with that tape. And anyone he leads to me, he’ll lead to Liz, too.”

Mrs. Parker blinked. “Why- why do you and Liz keep saying things like that? She’s human, dammit. I know. I gave birth to her over eighteen years ago.”

Max took a step forward, his voice pleading. “I know it doesn’t make sense to you, but she was transformed. We’re not even sure how. She showed you her abilities that night to prove it, remember? The light show?”

She looked like the knowledge might actually be sinking in this time. “And she’s an alien now?” An hysteric smile was fighting for dominance on her face and Max really felt bad for her. This had to be hard to take.

“Maybe you should talk to her about this,” he suggested.

She put a hand over her mouth and nodded, obviously fighting for composure once again.

“I haven’t,” Max hesitated. “I haven’t told her about the tape. This next week should be one of the happiest in her life, and I think knowing about this would ruin it for her.” He paused as he noticed her nodding in agreement, her hand still covering her mouth. Good. “But, I will tell her eventually, when the time is right.” He stared at Mrs. Parker’s suddenly wide eyes again. “I have to tell her. Just not now.” She nodded again.

Finally, something they agreed on. Max turned to go, but stopped himself and looked at her again. “If you need someone to talk to about this, my Mom knows everything. She got phone calls just like you did, only she knows me a little bit better than you. Maybe she could help you learn to trust me.” With a small smile, he walked out of the kitchen and through the back door, hoping he’d said the right things.

******

Michael took the stairs two at a time and was unsurprised to see Liz open the door to the apartment as he got there. He nodded and she backed out of the way.

“Dad, Michael is gonna’ be in my room for just a few minutes, okay,” Liz called out.

Her Dad practically came running out of his bedroom, Michael noticed with a sardonic grin.

“Michael, what’s going on,” Mr. Parker asked with his usual vague, but sunny smile fixed on his face.

“Nothin’ much, I just needed to talk to Liz for a sec before I head over to see Maria.”

Liz gasped and he turned to her, silencing her with a look. She had read his mind.

Liz, talk. Dad. Reassure.

“Yeah, dad,” Liz managed to say with a twitchy smile. “We’ll just be a minute, okay?”

“Okay, sweetie,... Just don’t stay too long, Michael.”

Michael smirked again at the inflection in Mr. Parker’s voice. He obviously thought he’d never be saying those words. Liz waited only long enough for Michael to step inside the room before she slammed the door shut and grabbed Michael’s arms. He could feel her joy crashing though him. “You’re going to ask Maria to-”

“Shhh,” he silenced her by holding up one finger. But he could still feel the joy spinning through her. “This is between me and her. No one else. Got it?”

Liz nodded, her brown eyes sparkling. He rolled his eyes and crossed to the other side of the room in an effort to get away from her giddiness.

Yeah, like that really helped...

“So, then, why are you here and not at the hospital,” she asked pointedly.

Michael hesitated before turning and leaning against the wall. He didn’t think she was going to like this. “I need to ask you a favor.” He pulled the Nyquil out of his jacket pocket.

She stared at it and then at him. “You want me to get drugged up so I won’t be awake when you ask her?”

Don’t talk so loud, Liz, he frowned at her silently.

*Sorry, but I don’t think that falls under the realm of normal things you do for your brother,* she glared at him.

“Yeah, well, who says anything about us being normal,” he asked her with raised eyebrows. “I just want... exactly what Max told you earlier. I want her all to myself.”

Liz’s eyes melted at the sentiment, but that just made him scowl at her.

“It’s totally impossible for me to do this with an audience, that’s all,” he shoved his hands and the bottle back in his pocket.

“Michael, I think this is great. But... what about the compatibility thing,” Liz looked hesitant to bring it up.

He nodded curtly. “I don’t know. Maybe this will jumpstart a transformation like it did for you. Whatever. I just can’t wait anymore. Even if we can’t be together, I want her to know how I feel.”

His gaze crept back over to Liz, but he already knew she was crying happy tears for her friend. A smile crossed his face in spite of himself. “So you think this’ll make her happy, then?”

Liz positively beamed. “You have no idea.”

He pulled the Nyquil back out. “So...”

Her expression immediately changed again. “Uh-huh. No way. I do not get drugged up for anyone,” she shot out.

Michael stared at her and crossed to her. “Then how the hell am I supposed to do this?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “Maybe you can kinda‘ knock me out. You know.”

He knew from her hand gestures that she meant powers. “Uh... I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” he shook his head.

“Come on, Michael. I know your brain patterns when you sleep. I’m sure you know mine. Just manipulate my brain until it gives off the patterns of sleep.”

“Oh yeah, sure. And why don’t I just turn myself into Einstein and prove the existence of life on Mars while I’m at it,” he jerked his head in frustration.

“Einstein was a physicist, not an astronaut,” Liz looked up at him pointedly.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Michael gestured loosely. “The point is, I don’t think I can do this. Maybe I should get Max.”

“Oh, yeah, that’s a good idea. Max and me alone in a dark room trying to put me to sleep. I think you know what would happen. And apparently you know it better than I thought you did,” she started to look kinda’ embarrassed.

“Can’t argue with that,” he admitted, tossing a small smirk her way. He was relieved she knew now, even though it would be tough on them. “So is this the only way you’ll agree to do it?”

“Yep. Or you could just wait for me to go to sleep on my own...”

“No. Not the sheep again,” he groaned and sat on the bed beside her.

“Good,” Liz smiled over at him. “Just do me one favor, while you’re in there, see if you can scout around and find the part of me that’s connected to you. We need to try to... you know.”

“Right,” Michael agreed shortly. “No problem.”

“Okay, then,” Liz said gamely. “Let me get under the covers and you do your thing.” She patted him lightly on the thigh and then walked around to the head of the bed.

Michael was still sitting and contemplating the wisdom of this idea when the light went out.

“Now, Michael, stop worrying. Just relax! And don’t forget to say goodbye to my Dad on the way out, or he’ll-”

“Yeah, yeah. Stop yer yappin’. I can’t even hear myself think,” Michael grumbled as he sent his mind out toward hers. He recognized the familiar thoughts and feelings from her, able to easily internalize them or ignore them after so much practice. But was that what she called her “brain patterns?”

*Okay. Get fixed in your mind what those feel like when I’m asleep. Got it?*

Yeah... he did. He could remember the gentle buzz that came from her mind every night...

*Then imagine it*

It feels just like that...

*happening right-*

Michael felt her cut off in the middle of her sentence.

Liz?

He felt around nervously, and she was okay... just asleep.

And wonderfully silent.

He took a deep breath. In and out. Now, on to the hospital.

******

Joey could hear them just down the hallway, their voices rising and falling in already familiar patterns. And what was more, she could feel them, in a way she’d never felt anyone before. She hadn’t even noticed it until she laid down to sleep. Was it because they were her brother and sister?

A smile stretched itself across her face, still feeling somewhat out of place after her years of quiet unhappiness. If she had only known her days on the streets were to be numbered...

Now, Joey, she scolded herself, you have no idea what’s going to happen here. It’s not like they’ve officially adopted you. It’s just one night in a warm bed. Appreciate it, but don’t expect more.

But the way Max looked at her when he’d planted a good night kiss on the top of her head... and the way Isabel’s eyes teared up as she showed Joey the room she now slept in. They felt it, too. That she was home. Joey rolled her eyes. Okay, shut up. Enough with the melodrama. Go to sleep.

The streetlight outside bathed the room in stark white light. But it was so different than the light at the school. Somehow, it seemed friendlier... Joey yawned. She closed her eyes and let her head fall over on the pillow. She was so... tired... Her thoughts drifted lazily... And sometime later, she realized that she was back in the darkened school building. She gasped and turned around quickly. No one was there. Fear clutched at her heart.

How had she- Oh- wait... this was a dream... She relaxed just a little bit at the realization. Across the hallway, a figure shimmered into existence. Joey watched in stunned silence and stepped back. But the figure didn’t move. And she felt no fear, just growing excitement. She didn’t recognize him, but he was someone important to her.

He started to walk closer and she could suddenly feel him... his heart pounding like hers. She was pulled forward by it, by the sameness she felt between them. Closer he came, but still his face was in the shadows. She kept walking. Who was he?

Even though he was close now, his face remained blurry, like a picture that had been left out in the rain. And he said nothing. Neither did she. The moment was too heavy, too full of meaning to try to communicate so clumsily. They stopped a foot away from each other, both looking down at the bag that suddenly appeared on the ground in front of them.

Joey blinked. It was her duffel bag, still dirty from her travels. He bent down and opened the bag. Shouldn’t it bother her that he was rifling through her things? It didn’t. He pulled out the oval rock and turned it over in his hands. *What is this?*

I don’t know, she thought to him. In dreams, apparently, they were connected. It didn’t surprise her, though she felt that it should. Joey reached out and slid her hands into his larger ones, holding the orb under her palms. It just felt right. The symbol on the top gleamed in the glare of the streetlight.

No- wait, it was glowing from the inside... growing brighter by the second. Joey wanted to pull away and shield her eyes, but she was mesmerized. The light gathered itself inside the device and then shot through the emblem.

Joey jerked back and watched as it hit the ceiling of the school, breaking through the cement and shooting through into the night sky like a beacon.

After a moment, she heard a voice calling her name. “Joey!”

She awoke and sat straight up in bed. Both Max and Isabel were staring at her from the doorway, their eyes fastened on something just beyond her. She turned to see an unearthly glow. The orb had come alive, just like in her dream. Its green light was bursting from inside her duffel bag, shooting through the dark fabric with no difficulty.

She looked back at Max and Isabel with wild eyes. “Oh my god...”

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.