FanFic - Max/Liz
"Have a Little Faith in Me"
Part 1
by QtBlondie01
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the charecters.
Summary: Liz and Max come to a conclusion about their destiny. A hard decision.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
So many things had happened lately, but there was still one thing that always lingered in the back of Max's mind. The one thing that would be there for eternity. But he didn't mind, because that one thing was Liz. The feelings that he had for Liz Parker were undeniable, inevitable. He always had that small glimmer of hope in him that things would one day be okay again between him and Liz.

All his life the thought of finding love was the furthest thing from his mind. But you can't really help it when love comes knocking at your door. That day in the Crash Down when Max saved Liz's life. It was as he said, the day his life began. The day he became human. The day he finally shattered that emotionless front he would always give off. The day he fell in love. Somewhere deep in Max's heart he knew that it could never be right for him and Liz to be together. But somehow the love that he felt for her was able to push anything out the way. Anything that stood a chance at keeping him away from Liz.

They had been through so much together. There were just so many things that Liz had done to help Max. She went to River Dog trying to find out information, she helped him figure out who Tess was, she helped him to understand the constellations, she even walked away last summer in hopes that he could still fullfil his destiny, but most of all she helped him understand that it was okay to be human. It was okay to cry, to smile, to be happy, to live, and to love.

No matter what happened Max knew that he would never lose that peice of his heart that Liz filled. Of course he wanted to help his planet, and his people. He wanted to keep Isabel and Michael safe but more than anything he wanted to keep Liz by his side. If he could only hold her in his arms for all of eternity then maybe he would be able to breathe again.

********

Max found himself driving around Roswell aimlessly in his jeep. He didn't have any intended destination, he just needed to be alone. Away from his family, his friends, and his huge responsibilities. The streets were dark, the night was warm and breezy, a perfect night. He could smell spring coming, that light airy smell with fresh fallen rain and the odor of wet grass. Max turned right at a stop light and spotted the Crash Down up ahead. He drove past it with his eyes glued to the windows trying to see if Liz was inside. The lights were off, it was already closed. Max didn't realize how late it had gotten. One last glance at the Crash Down before his jeep wizzed by. Max gasped as he saw a light go on. It looked like it was coming from the kitchen.

Before Max could stop himself he was pulling up to the back of the Crash Down and he got out of his car. He wasn't following his own judgement, he was following his heart's. He could feel his palms sweating as he reached to knock on the back door. The nervousness was eating him alive. Max knocked softly on the door and waited.

Liz opened the door quietly and peered around to see who was there. "Max. What are you doing here?" She couldn't help but hide her obvious happiness. Having Max near her made her heart skip beats and she could feel her blushing cheeks grow warm.

"I don't know really." Max looked from the ground and up at Liz through his long black eyelashes. He kept his hands in his pockets and stepped inside. "I was just taking a drive and I saw the light on when I passed by."

"Yeah I just remembered that I forgot to put away the pies." Liz smiled nervously and tried to compose herself. "So uh, how are you?"

"I'm okay.....I've been thinking a lot....too much I guess." Max didn't move his eyes from Liz's beautiful face.

"About what?" Liz knew the answer to that question but somehow felt compelled to ask.

"About us." Max said letting out a nervous sigh.

"Max we can only be friends." Liz wanted more than anything to grab him and kiss him but she knew she couldn't. That would be selfish. The fate of another planet rested on her shoulders. She had to be strong for him.

"I know Liz but..." Max moved closer and removed his hands from his pockets. He was so close to Liz that he could feel her breathing. He knew she was nervous too. "But I love you Liz."

Liz took a deep breath trying to keep herself under control, "I love you too Max, you know I do. But we can't be together." Her head shook back and fourth as she looked longingly into his eyes. She bit her bottom lip trying to keep the tears from falling.

"Why not Liz? You know that I can never be with Tess. I don't believe in that destiny stuff. I don't believe in anything. All I know is that I love you, and I need you." He reached out and took her tiny hand holding it in both of his.

Now the tears fell freely. Liz could feel them burning as they slid down her cheeks. "Max I love you. And I know I will never feel the same about anyone else. But can't you see? This wasn't meant to be. Anything of this. Take a look around you Max. Isabel Michael and Tess, THEY are who you're meant to be with. Maybe you don't want to be anything more than just friends with Tess, but you need her. Just like you need Michael and Isabel." Liz wiped away the wetness that now streamed down her face. She stared into Max's eyes that were now too filled with tears.

"How do you do it Liz? I can't bare to be away from you. But you....you're so strong."

"Max there's one thing that keeps me going every day. I know in my heart that you are my destiny, that you are my one true love, my soulmate. But in this lifetime we can't be anything more than friends. Some day, in another lifetime, another time, maybe even another world, we WILL be together. I believe that with all of my heart and soul. When I die, I know my Heaven is with you Max. Just not in this life." Liz's words became a whisper. She could see tears stream down Max's face as he listened to her words.

Deep in his heart Max knew what Liz was saying was true. But he couldn't accept it. "But I need you NOW Liz." Max wrapped his arms around Liz's fragile body and held her close.

Liz never wanted to lose this moment. She held her breath and closed her eyes and made a permanent imprint in her memory. After her tears had soaked Max's chest she leaned back. "Max, you just have to have a little faith that some day we will be together." Liz moved her hand up and down his back and didn't remove her eyes from his.

Max's eyes said it all. He knew that this was true. He needed to concentrate on his duty as king, but it just tore his heart apart knowing that he couldn't be with Liz. "But Liz, I don't believe in anything. What am I supposed to have faith in?"

Liz looked deeper into his eyes and answered, "Me."

~~~~the end~~~~~

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.