FanFic - Max/Liz
"Follow Your Heart"
Part 1a
by Esmoon10
Disclaimer: I don't own anything *SNIFF!*
Summary: Max and Liz go to the same party to get their minds off each other. It takes place after "Disturbing Behavior", but it has nothing about Laurie.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Max got into his Jeep and drove off, not knowing where he was going. Follow your heart Maria had said. Hadn't Grandma Claudia said the exact same thing before she died? He thought about Tess kissing him at the party. It hadn't felt right at all. Kissing Liz felt right. Liz… he thought. He shook his head. That was over. All hope of it ever coming back left when he saw her with Kyle. Well, actually, that wasn't true. He had still hoped. A little. Maybe he should just go to Tess. Forget about Liz and go to Tess. It was supposedly his destiny, after all. But he couldn't do that. Not to Tess. Not to himself. Not to Liz… Wait. Why does Liz matter? He asked himself. He reminisced about the party. Things hadn't gone at all like Michael said they would. He'd promised it would be a Liz-free night. Fat chance. He hadn't been able to find Liz after Tess kissed him. He figured she had gone off somewhere with Sean or something. Maria had said Liz ran out, saying she didn't feel well. Maria had had a weird look on her face, like it was his fault. Had Liz seen him and Tess kiss? And if she had, so what? That's what I'm trying to figure out he thought wearily. Then Maria had said, "Follow your heart, Max. It'll tell you what to do," how was he supposed to follow his heart when his heart didn't know what it wanted? But, then again, maybe it did. He wanted Liz. He parked the car and got out. Max walked through the desert without actually realizing where he was. He came to a dark cave and heard some soft crying. He recognized it. Liz? He wondered. What was she doing here? Why was she crying? He went in and found her hugging her knees. He kneeled down next to her. "Max?" she whispered through her tears. "What's wrong?" he asked her, putting his arms around her. She just shook her head and sobbed into his chest. He suddenly felt a strong need to kiss her overpower him out of nowhere. What was making her so sad? He gently lifted her face to meet his, "Liz?" she nodded shakily, almost as if she knew what he was about to do. He reached out, pushed back a piece of her hair, and then kissed her.

FLASH

Liz and Isabel dream walking him to save him. Liz's look when he said he wanted to be friends. Ava's face when she found out Max healed Liz. Ava telling her she was changed. Future Max saying, "I need you to help me fall out of love with you," Liz and future Max dancing to "I Shall Believe"

END OF FLASH

Max stopped kissing Liz and looked into her eyes. Her face was radiantly glowing; she looked more beautiful than ever, even with the tearstains on her cheeks.

"Hanging by a Moment" by Lifehouse
Desperate for a changing,
Starving for a truth,
I'm closer than when I started,
Chasing after you.

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held on to
I'm standing here until you make me move
Hanging by a moment, here with you

Forgetting all I'm lacking,
Completely incomplete,
I'll take your invitation,
And you'll take all of me

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held on to
I'm standing here until you make me move
Hanging by a moment, here with you
I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and I'll catch you as you go
And I don't know what I'm tapping into
Just thinking about my moment here with you

There's nothing else but you,
There's nothing else to find,
There's nothing in this world,
That can change my mind.
There's nothing else

Desperate for a changing,
Starving for the truth,
I'm closer than where I started
Chasing after you

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held on to
I'm standing here until you make me move
Hanging by a moment, here with you
I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and I'll catch you as you go
And I don't know what I'm tapping into
Just thinking about my moment here with you

Max slowly helped Liz up, she was leaning on him for support. He smiled and kissed her forehead gently, "Why didn't you tell me?" he whispered. "I…couldn't…I'm sorry," a tear ran down her cheek and he wiped it away. He reached out his hand for her, "How did you get here?" he asked her. "I just started the car, and this is where I ended up," she answered. He smiled, "I can relate," She put her hand in his and they walked out of the cave together. Maria clasped her hands together in anguish. Please let Liz be all right! She pleaded silently. She should have gone with her. Liz could have done anything in this situation. Hopefully Max had found her first. Maria was actually quite proud of her matchmaking capabilities. She knew she had gotten to Max with her little "follow your heart" speech. Max would understand what she meant. He was mushy like that. If only Michael were mushy… Hah! She snorted. He wouldn't even dance with her yet. Michael was walking towards her. Yes! Come on! She clapped her hands together, "Michael!" "Hey, Maria," he nodded towards her. "How's the party?" she asked him. "It's fine. Where's Max?" he answered. Of course he had to get right to the point. Maria rolled her eyes impatiently, "Yeah, I know where he went," "I didn't ask if you knew. I asked where he was," Michael looked at her expectantly. "Actually, he's off following his heart," she made a corny little heart motion with her hands. "That would mean he took off after Liz, right?" he asked. "No duh. Maybe you are getting the hang of it!" she exclaimed thoughtfully. "Getting the hang of what?" Michael was confused. "Come on already!" she said out loud. "What?" Oops! Did I say that out loud? "If you won't, then I will! Will you dance with me?" she titled her head, waiting for an answer. "It's in the middle of a song right now," he pointed out. "So?" she pouted. Michael sighed, "Fine. May I have the honor of dancing with you, beautiful lady?" he said in a fake 'proper' voice. Maria smiled primly, "Why of course, fair gentleman," "This is so Maxwell like," he grumbled. "Yeah, it is. I wish I had a boyfriend like Max," she smirked at him while they were dancing. "Hey! I'm doing the best I can!" Michael argued. She patted his cheek, "I know, honey, and you're doing just fine," he groaned.

Max opened the door to Jeep for Liz, "For my Lady," he made a sweeping gesture. Liz got in, but then stepped back out. "What's wrong?" Max asked. "Maria's car is here, too…I can't just leave it there," she explained. "Oh. Well, we can get it later," he replied, urging to get back in. Liz smiled, "Okay…I guess,"

"Good," when she got back in, he leaned over and kissed her. She blushed and then put her head on his shoulder as they drove off.

"Max and Liz have been gone for hours!" Maria complained to Michael as they danced to "Case of the Ex" be Mya. "They're probably somewhere in the desert sucking face…or worse. When is this party over? It's getting kind of boring," he joked. "Michael, be serious!" she hit him on the shoulder, "Something could have happened! Besides, it wouldn't be that simple for Max and Liz to get back together,"

"Really? Why not? She tells him the Kyle thing was a mistake and that she loves him, they get all lovey-dovey, doing the mushy thing, which I really hate…and then he screws her," Michael shrugged. Maria pushed him away, "Oh, my, God! You don't know anything! That is just sick! And there was no 'Kyle-thing' for your information," he laughed, "I beg to differ. She slept with him. That would be a 'thing'," Maria let out a groan of frustration, "Duh. You don't know. I forgot. Never mind, then," Michael looked confused, "No, I wanna know," he prodded, "tell me," she looked up. Well… she thought to herself, it wouldn't be too bad to tell him. He could only help, right? "I guess, I will. See; remember that Gomez concert in Santa Fe? Well, that week I took Liz and Alex to this psychic. She told Liz that Max would choose her over his destiny. Later that night, this guy came to Liz's room. He looked exactly like Max, but it wasn't Max. I mean, it was him, but from the future. Anyway, so he said that Liz had to make Max fall out of love with her, because otherwise, the world would end, since Tess was gonna leave…" and Maria continued telling him the whole story.

Max hadn't said a word on the way home. He was just too lost in the feel of Liz leaning against him. She had already fallen asleep and he didn't want to disturb her. He loved to be able to put his arms around her again. Of course, he wasn't sure how they got back together. Or even if they got back together. Liz hadn't pushed him away when he kissed her. Then again, she had seemed to be in a state of shock. And she also hadn't kissed him back. Max felt Liz stir, "Max?" she whispered, making sure he was still there. "I'm right here," he answered her. He stopped at the red light, turning to her and kissing the top of her head. "Are we together?" he asked suddenly. Liz flinched a little. She was tempted to say, 'Yes! Of course. We'll always be together,' but that wouldn't work. "What did you see in the flashes?" she avoided the question. "I saw you and Isabel dream walking me, and Ava telling you that you were different now and I saw…well, most importantly I saw a person that looked like me, I guess from the future, telling you I needed to fall out of love with you or else the world would end?" he ended the statement in a question, but Liz divulged no further information. "So I guess I understand why you slept with Kyle," even now, it hurt to say that. Liz felt tears well up in her eyes, "Max, I…" he put a finger to her lips, "No Liz, it's okay. You don't have to say anything,"

"I didn't sleep with Kyle," she blurted out. "What?" She hadn't? I knew it! Max breathed a small sigh of relief. "I set it up so it would look like we did. Nothing happened, I swear,"

"Then are we together?" he repeated insistently. "Max, you don't even know why I had to make you fall out of love with me- even though it obviously didn't work," she told him. "Then tell me why!" he demanded. "Okay. The night of the Gomez concert we were supposed to…make love," she started. A small gasp escaped Max's lips. "I was all intent on getting back with you after seeing this psychic- Anyway, so you came to me, well, it wasn't exactly you. He was from the future. He told me that Tess leaves Roswell because of our relationship. She was an important asset to the royal four and so; the Skins take over the world. I had to make you fall out of love with me so that that wouldn't happen. First, I tried getting you and Tess together. That didn't work, so I told you I didn't want to die for you-which, of course, isn't true-and finally, I asked Kyle for help," Max swallowed, then burst out laughing. Liz frowned, why is he laughing? "Um…in what way is this funny?" she asked. "It's just that I can't believe that our relationship is so important that the fate of the world depends on whether or not we do it!" at this Liz giggled a little, "It is kind of funny. It sort of sounds like Buffy," then she straightened. "That's not the point. The point is, we can't be together," he frowned slightly, and his mouth set in a determined line. He wasn't going to give up. "Why? Because of Tess? Because she'll leave?" she nodded solemnly, "Yes, Tess can't leave Roswell," He smiled. Liz was confused. Why was he smiling? What was he so happy about? Does he like Tess? Well that was a stupid question. He had kissed her just now. Of course, he had kissed Tess at the party, you never know… "Tess won't leave," Max's voice cut through her thoughts. "Not is we explained it to her," he continued, "She's not a bad person, really," Liz looked up uncertainly. She didn't know if she should ask or not. Would it be rude? "Do…" she faltered, "do you like her?" she finished in a quiet voice. "Of course I like her," he answered. Liz felt her heart stop. She wanted to die. "But I'm not in love with her, she's just a very good friend," he added, seeing her pale face. He parked the car, "We're here!" he announced, but Liz hadn't heard him. I'm sure she's a 'very good' kisser, too. She thought angrily, "Max, do you really think she won't leave?" He looked at her with fierceness in his eyes, "I know she wouldn't leave,"

"Okay," she got out of the car. "Max?" she asked again. "Yeah?" Liz fiddled with the Jetta car keys, "Max, I saw you and Tess kissing," He looked away, "Oh," was all he said. She waited for him to add something else. He didn't. She took a deep breath and continued, "I wanted you to know that if…if you want to be with…Tess, it's fine… because I" Max cut her off, "No!" he turned around and grabbed her, "I want to be with you, Liz. Not Tess. You," he leaned down and kissed her passionately. By the time he was done, she was gasping for breath. "I…no, I…give up. Can you kiss me again?"

Maria jumped in delight when she saw Max and Liz walking through the front door. Together. Holding hands. "Michael, look!" she pointed excitedly. Michael nodded knowingly, "I told you so," "Oh, shut up!" she ran over and hugged Liz, "I'm so glad! You told him the truth, didn't you?" Liz nodded and Max smiled. "So, what do you think?" Maria turned to Max, "Is Liz just the best or what?"

"Definitely the best," he agreed. "What about me?" Michael called. "You're just about the worst!" Maria told him. Michael sauntered over to where they were standing, "In my understanding, this is all Tess's fault," he stated. "Maria! How could you?" Liz cried. "I'm sorry! I had to tell someone! And he was saying bad things about you and Kyle!" she defended herself. "Well, then, shouldn't you say something to Tess?" Michael asked. "I guess we should," Max looked at Liz.

"Tess," she heard a whisper from behind her. It was Max. His voice made questions flood into her brain. What did he want? Why had she kissed him? She didn't even like him that way. Anymore, that is. She whirled around and saw he was not alone. His hand was intertwined with Liz's. A tiny pang of jealousy sprang into the back of her mind, but she pushed it away. She had absolutely no right to be jealous. It didn't even matter. "Hey Max. Liz," she finally said. She hated her tone. It sounded so curt. Liz didn't notice. "Hi, Tess!" she said cheerfully. A little too cheerfully. What was going on? "Umm…Tess? I wanted you to know that you are a great friend. You're one of the best," Max said sincerely. Liz tightened her hold on Max's hand, trying to reassure him. Tess knew where this was headed. "But, I don't see you as anything more that a good friend. I'm sorry if there's ever been any misunderstanding," he finished, looking down. Tess smiled wanly, "It's okay, Max. There never has been. I'm sorry for…I just don't know what came over me,"

"Thanks," Max looked relieved. Liz cleared her throat. She knew Tess must still be hurt inside. "And Tess?" she asked. "Yeah?"

"I'm really sorry for the way Maria and I treated you. We didn't really like you at first because, well…you know. I really hope we can be friends. Even though you don't like bonding," Liz held out her hand and Tess shook it, "Sure," Max and Liz slowly walked away from Tess and towards the dance floor, "I'm Falling Even More in Love With You" was playing. Liz let her head rest on Max's shoulder. Tess smiled to herself. She suddenly realized she hadn't seen Kyle at the party anywhere. Maybe he was around.

Maria dragged Michael onto the dance floor for the fifth time in a row. "Can't we just give it a rest? We've already danced, like, 10 times!" he complained. "Nope!" she replied, "You've gotta dance with me on this one, because, after all, you do love me, right?" she raised her eyebrows expectantly. "I might…" he pondered playfully. "Michael!"

"All right! Yes, I do," she smiled, then noticed Tess and Kyle dancing, "Look, Michael,"

"Not again! What's it this time?" he asked. "Look, its Tess and Kyle!" she pointed. "Oh, cool," he said indifferently. "'Oh, cool'? That's all you can say? I knew they liked each other!" she squealed. "Calm down! You sound like a twelve year-old!" Michael exclaimed. "I know, I drank too much Coke,"

"This has been the best night of the year!" Liz whispered to Max. "The year's barely started," he answered, playfully kissing her neck. "Max, stop it! People are staring,"

"You really care what they think?" he asked in shock. She smiled profusely, "I love you, Max," she lifted her face. Max grinned, "I love you too, Liz."

Part 0 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.