FanFic - Max/Liz
"Get In the Game"
Part 16
by FordOnBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Max's life begins to change more than Michael and Isabel would like as he becomes more and more frustrated with living in the background.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer. You might want to read that one first although it's not absolutely necessary. Feedback Please!
The night had started off more than awkward. No one had known where to sit or who to sit next to. Except for Max and Liz. He, Liz and Isabelle had ended up sitting in one booth and an uncomfortable Michael sat with Alex and Maria on the other side. Drinks were plopped down in front of them and Isabel raised her glass, seeming in proposal of a toast. "To Max," she stated simply and all seemed to be in favor. Especially Liz. Max just bowed his head. "And the all new West Roswell basketball team," Alex added, they all nodded in agreement, but that was as far as the group conversation went that night.

Max and Liz had talked quietly amongst themselves, seemingly in their own world and the other four just sat there tapping their fingers or fidgeting with the menu. Maria made several attempts for conversation which ended quickly with a short response from Michael. Liz laughed at a comment made by Max and Isabel suddenly joined in. The conversation began to spread and finally the group began to talk with each other. It was quickly broken up however.

"Max, what's going on?" Kyle suddenly laughed in disbelief as he approached the table and eyed Max and Liz sitting close together. Max looked up at Kyle and he knew Isabel's eyes were on him.

"Nothing," Max dismissed. "I mean - we're just - the six of us," Max faltered, clearly unnerved by Kyle's presence. He was still unsure how to go about anything.

"Yeah I thought I said I didn't want you together," he laughed again, "what're you doing?"

"Kyle - look, we were just -"

"Liz quiet," Kyle commanded, "I'm talking to Max." And there was something within that statement, that order that made something in Max snap. "I told you not to go near her -" Liz opened up her mouth to object at the statement, but Kyle continued, "get out - get away from her," Kyle ordered casually.

"No," Max said softly and at that moment Liz laced her foot around his ankle, rubbing it against his.

"What?" Kyle was more than shocked. He had expected Max to be submissive as usual.

"No," Max said louder this time, more forcefully and Isabel looked over at Max, smiling. For the first time he was standing up for himself and as she looked to Liz she knew how much she must mean to him. Kyle laughed again to himself.

"Liz - come on, you're coming with me," he reached to pull Max out of the booth and grab Liz, but Max resisted.

"Leave her alone," he pushed Kyle's arms away from him and the air suddenly grew thin. Kyle looked towards Max in disbelief.

"There is something going on with you two isn't there?" he asked icily, glaring at both Liz and Max in the booth, "Liz - you're coming with me." Again Kyle reached in to retrieve Liz and this time Max stood up from the booth.

"She doesn't want to go with you," he stood between Liz and Kyle, quietly sticking up for her.

Kyle ground his teeth together and spun around quickly, punching Max squarely in the jaw, sending him to the linoleum floor of the Crashdown. Everyone at the booth immediety stood up, Michael was about to take a run at Kyle if Alex had not been standing in front of him. It was Liz who ran out first however, though Max was on his feet before Liz could run to him. He held his hand up to his lip where blood was flowing and just looked at Kyle, swallowing the retaliation that was inside of him. Liz just walked towards Kyle, who didn't seem at all bothered by his previous action. The other customers eyed the group of kids warily.

"Kyle, you touch him again," Liz said delicately, "and we're done." Max's head immedietly shot up and he looked towards her in amazement. Kyle shook his head as he looked at Liz in shock.

"Look what you've done to her!" he turned towards Max. Max didn't say anything, he simply stared at Liz. At the protective words that had come out of her mouth. About him. Seeming to know that his relationship with Liz was over no matter what he did, Kyle's fist again met Max's jaw and the two came crashing onto the floor.

Chairs were overturned and as they fell with a clatter, the customers seated around scattered, some ran to the counter, others gathered around as Max and Kyle scuffled around on the floor.

Punches were thrown by both and Liz could see blood on both their faces. No one dared to interrupt, but Liz could hear Isabel muttering under her breath. "Get him, Max," his sister mumbled quietly. Liz and Maria were the only things keeping Michael from joining the fray as he watched Kyle lay a solid hit to Max's cheek. Seizing Kyle's collar, Max wrestled the varsity athlete off of him and managed to throw him into a table. At the clamor, and the commotion by the other customers Jeff Parker suddenly ran into the dining room.

"Hey, hey - what's going on?? Break it up!!" the restaurant owner yelled as he ran between the two boys who had both quickly staggered to their feet. "Kyle what's this about?" he asked the sheriff's son, a boy he'd known before to be responsible and well-tempered. His daughter had good taste. He looked to the other boy, he was wearing a brown leather jacket and a tan button down shirt that was now stained with blood on the collar. Beneath the tousled hair, bruised face and rumpled clothing Jeff Parker thought he recognized the boy as the one who'd come to visit Liz last Friday in the hospital. He and Kyle stood opposing one another, standing feet apart as if they were repelling magnets. Kyle looked towards Liz and mumbled something intelligible to him as he glared towards the boy one last time and headed out the door.

Part 15 | Index | Part 17
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.