FanFic - Max/Liz
"Get In the Game"
Part 7
by FordOnBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Max's life begins to change more than Michael and Isabel would like as he becomes more and more frustrated with living in the background.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer. You might want to read that one first although it's not absolutely necessary. Feedback Please!
Just as there had been Friday afternoon last week, Friday afternoon the following week there was a shirts and skins game ongoing on the front basketball courts of West Roswell. Max had just set Archie up for a spectacular alley-oop and they were jogging back to line up on defense when Liz suddenly walked by on the other side of the chain link fence.

She glanced over once, knowing that it was Kyle and his friends but did a doubletake as she saw that Max too was on the court. She knew he played every now and then, but when she saw him drive down and lay the ball in the hoop and sprint down the other way she stopped in her tracks and just watched him. She hadn't realized he was that involved in the game, she hadn't realized that the other members on the court actually knew his name. She watched him as he defended his basket, bumping and moving uderneath it amongst the other boys. She didn't even realize she was staring at him and his bare chest until Kyle called her name.

"Hey Liz, y'okay?" He called from the basket, holding up his hand signally a break in the game.

"Huh?" she jerked her head over to face Kyle.

"You were just kinda...blankin' out there - had me kinda worried," he said honestly.

Liz breathed a sigh of relief as she realized he hadn't seen that she had been staring at Max. Max almost seemed to be hiding behind Archie and she could hardly see him. He was fidgeting from foot to foot, obviously agitated and awkward at being at the same place with both Kyle and Liz. She could just barely see the side of his face, but her eyes were fixated on the small portion of him she could see and she hardly heard what Kyle was saying to her. "So we're on for tonight, right? Just a coupla movies? Not too late?" Max listened quietly in the background and he motioned for the basketball from Rich and began shooting the ball while Kyle and Liz continued talking about their date tonight. The four others on othe court remained quiet, but Max was noisily dribbling and shooting the ball through the clamorous chain net. The more Liz and Kyle talked about that night, the louder Max dribbled the ball.

"Yeah, my Grandma Claudia is coming...tonight..so - I can't stay that late."

"You can or you can't? Max - cut it out for a minute, gimme the damn ball - " Kyle suddenly barked irritably, the combination of gardeners next to the court and Max shooting and dribbling under the basket made it hard for Kyle to hear Liz's soft voice. Almost like a scolded puppy, Max silently stopped and walked to the front of the net with the rest of Kyle's friends, handing Kyle the basketball.

"Hey Max," Liz suddenly greeted quietly and casually.

"Hey," Max mumbled, looking down to the ground. Kyle guickly glanced curiously at both Liz and Max and continued his conversation. Liz nodded her head to everything that Kyle said, but she hardly heard anything, her eyes remained on Max.

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.