FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 10
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own the character's, just the plot.
Summary: Alternative reality fic.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
"Now, the best way to watch it is on the big screen," Isabel said as she popped the tape into the VCR.

Maria nodded. "Ok, I agree, but can we move it into the bedroom?"

Liz smiled and glanced at her. "Why? Are we afraid someone might see you in your nightie?"

Maria eyed Liz. "Me? Who brought their brand new nightgown?"

"Don't worry," Isabel said as she propped the pillows up behind her on the sofa. "Dad is out on a date, and Max is out with Michael."

"The juvenile delinquent," Maria mumbled from the floor. She stretched out on a blanket.

"What's your prob with Michael?"

"He's nosey and bossy, plus thinks he's always right."

"Sounds like someone I know," Liz said from the loveseat. She ducked as Maria hurled a pillow at her. "Ok! I'm gonna go to the bathroom while the previews are on."

Maria watched Liz as she walked out of the room. As soon as she was gone, she crawled over to Isabel. "Ok, we need to talk about Max."

Isabel looked at her while the previews started. "Max?"

Maria nodded. "He's single, right?"

"Yeah-"

"What kind of girl does he like?" Maria asked, interrupting Isabel.

"Um…I don't know," Isabel admitted.

"Ok, you're not helping me here. Tell me something about Max."

"Maybe you should ask him."

Both girls looked to see Michael standing in the doorway. "He's right in the kitchen." He eyed Maria the whole time.

Maria cleared her throat and pulled down on her emerald blue nightgown. It was long enough to be a dress-a very shirt dress, and she felt weird in just that around Michael. "Michael."

"Maria," he replied shortly. He then gazed at Isabel. "Isabel."

She rolled her eyes. "Michael," she said in a huff. Maria watched them. They obviously had a tiff going on between them.

"What's going on?" Max asked as he came in the room and noticed the blankets and Maria.

"What does it look like? I'm having some friends over."

Maria looked over Max's shoulder and saw Liz was standing there, just looking at his back. Maria cleared her throat and said out loud, "You ready Liz?"

Max froze and slowly turned around. His breath caught as he saw how beautiful she looked. Her hair was loose and laying on her shoulders. She was wearing a pale yellow tank top and dark blue drawstring pants with yellow stars and moons on 'em. She was smiling shyly.

"Hey," she said softly.

"Hey," Max managed.

Liz smiled again then walked past him toward the living room. Max turned and followed her with his eyes. She sat down on the love seat and looked down.

"Isabel, can I speak to you?" Michael asked.

"No," Isabel said quickly. "We were about to watch a movie."

Maria nudged her on the leg. Maria then mouthed 'look at them' then pointed at Max. Isabel looked and saw how he was staring at Liz; who was smiling slightly back, but not really making eye contact.

Isabel smiled and saw how her brother was also smiling.

"Hey, Max, can I ask you a question?" Maria asked.

Isabel watched as her brother broke the trance and looked at Maria. She also noticed how Michael was looking at Maria also.

"Sure," Max said hesitantly.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" Liz coughed and Isabel saw how Max's eyes got big.

"Nice way to be tactful," Michael sneered.

"What?" Maria asked, clearly confused.

"Um…no I don't," Max answered Maria's question, his eyes on Liz the whole time.

*************************************************************

Michael had had enough of all of this. He wasn't gonna stay here and watch Maria flirt with Max; not that he cared who Maria flirted with, he just didn't want Max to end up with her when he wanted Liz.

"That's all I wanted to know," Maria said cheerfully. Max nodded. Michael sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

Suddenly a buzzer sounded from the kitchen. When no one jumped to go get it, Liz stood up. "That's the popcorn." Then she walked into the kitchen.

"So, slumber party?" Michael asked Isabel.

Isabel mumbled something then looked at Maria. "You might wanna tell Liz the bowls are overtop the sink." Maria nodded and got up to go into the kitchen also.

"What is your problem?" Isabel hissed.

Michael sighed again. "Isabel…after all that's happened, how can you just have a slumber party?"

"Michael…what is wrong with me having some friends? You and Max have each other!"

Max sighed and shook his head. He was used to Michael and Isabel's fighting, but it was wearing thin. Especially with Liz right in the other room, he thought. Max slowly backed up until he was right outside the kitchen entrance. Max took a deep breath then, as casually as possible, leaned his elbow onto the near by bookshelf and shifted so he could see into the kitchen from the corner of his eye.

Liz was reaching for a bowl and Max zeroed in on how her shirt slid up to reveal a small patch of her stomach. He caught his breath and noticed Maria looking toward his way. Max quickly spun away, but never moved completely.

*************************************************************

Liz reached up and pulled down a bowl. "Maria…you're bordering on neurotic," Liz said.

Maria made a face and tugged on her hair. "Liz," she said while turning away, "you've got--" she stopped mid-sentence when she saw Max eyeing Liz. Max shied away quickly, but not before Maria noticed he was practically drooling. Maria needed a new approach. "Ok," she said finally. "Liz…do you love Kyle?" Maria saw Liz's eyes get big-and heard a thump come from the entrance of the living room. Guess Max lost his cool stance, she thought.

"What?" Liz stammered.

Maria, unfazed, repeated, "Do you love Kyle?"

Liz busied herself with opening up the popcorn bag. Maria sighed. "Liz…why are you with Kyle when you clearly want someone else?" she whispered, so Max wouldn't overhear.

Liz picked up the bowl. "Kyle likes me, ok."

"Yeah," Maria agreed. "But so does…um, someone else." she nearly forgot Max was listening. Maria looked and noticed Max wasn't focused on them anymore. "He's sweet, and nice, and, if I say so myself, Max is damn good looking!"

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.