FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 31
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Michael walked into the café and noticed Max was at the first seat. He ambled over and sat down across from him. Max was looking past him. "Hey."

Max finally looked and him and nodded. "Oh, yeah."

Michael scrunched his eyes and shot a glance over his shoulder to see what Max was looking at. Liz Parker was behind the counter, talking to Isabel, Alex, and Maria. Michael saw how she always kept her face in his direction, but never making eye contact. "You guys talk yet?"

Max shrugged. "About what? We have a few things to pick from," he said miserably.

Michael could see the pain in his eyes and sighed. Max was a goner. "It's hard to date a girl when your dad is dating her mom."

"Yeah, well, her being in love with another guy kinda makes it hard too."

"Liz doesn't love Kyle," Michael said, plain and simple.

"Did Liz tell you that?" Max asked.

"No…but Alex did."

Max sighed. "Alex, huh?"

Michael eyed him. "Yeah. He's, like, her best friend; besides Maria."

Max nodded and opened his mouth to speak but closed it when a scream was shouted.

***

Liz watched out of the corner of her eye as Michael came in and sat with Max. She knew he was watching her, she could feel his eyes.

"So, we still need to make plans for all of us," Maria said, also looking at the newest member of their group to enter the Crashdown. "Great…the hunch back has arrived," she muttered.

Alex rolled his eyes at her. "Please…you like him, just admit it."

Maria looked red for a second then scoffed. "You're one to talk, Alex! Maybe you should talk to Miss Isabel here about your feelings."

Alex's face turned beet red as Isabel gave a little breathy laugh and nudged him with her elbow.

"Guys…do we have to fight?" Liz asked, her eyes still on Max.

Maria waved her hand in her face and Liz jumped back in surprise. "Just what I thought," Maria said. "You're checking out your honey too." she then walked away and into the back.

"He's not my honey-" Liz was saying as she felt her feet slip on some soda. She reached for a hand and Alex caught her, but not before her palm made contact with a glass, shattering it into pieces.

Liz let out a cry as the glass poked itself into her palm, blood starting to flow already.

"Liz!" Isabel cried, reaching for her also. She felt arms come around her waist and pick her up, sitting her onto the counter. Liz looked up to see Max's concern face and eyes penetrating hers.

"Are you ok?" he asked, emotion filling his voice.

Liz cradled her hand to her chest and nodded, noticing all the blood already on her uniform. Alex was right beside her, his arms looped over her shoulders.

"Does it hurt?" he asked. Before she could even reply, another voice joined the onslaught.

"Oh my god," Maria cried, coming out front. She rushed over to Liz. "What happened?!" she circled to Liz's other side, rubbing her arm.

Max looked up at her face and Liz nodded, letting him gently pull her hand away, so he could get a better look. Liz winced as her flexed her palm some. She saw his eyes darken when he realized he had hurt her.

"Sorry," he said softly.

"Is it cut deep?" Isabel asked from beside Alex. Liz looked over and saw she was pale, evidently from all the blood.

Max's whole hand was covered in blood by the time he spoke. "Yeah…you've got glass in it," he told Liz.

Liz winced again as Max pulled out a big piece of glass. Maria's face paled. "Oh my god…"

"We need to get her to the hospital," Max said, his voice was harsh with emotion.

Turning to Isabel, Alex said, "Hand me that towel."

Isabel obliged and she grabbed it up. He reached over and handed it to Max. "Here…I'm not good with blood. Wrap her hand with this."

Max looked up at Liz's face and said softly, "This might hurt."

"Ok," Liz said back, closing her eyes and bracing her self for the pain as he wrapped her hand.

"Ok, let's go," Alex said, helping her down from the counter. As soon as her feet hit the ground, Liz felt dizzy. She was about to fall until Max's arms snaked around her waist, helping her stand.

Everyone started toward thew door until Liz spoke up. "Wait…" she said softly. "We can't all just leave."

Maria shook and said, "No, I'm going!"

"I'll stay here," Isabel said finally.

"I guess I will too. Call me with information." Alex then squeezed her shoulders and kissed her forehead.

Liz felt Max's arms tighten around her waist and she nodded toward Alex.

"I'll get the jeep," Michael said, moving toward the door. Liz finally noticed he had been standing behind Max. His face had a weird look on it, like he was bout to lose it.

"I'm gonna get your purse," Maria called going into the back. "I'll meet you guys out front!"

"Lean on me," Max said in her ear as he started to lead her out the door. Liz was grateful there was only one customer in the café, or else everyone would've seen her get hurt.

"Be careful," Isabel called.

"Call as soon as you know what's wrong!" Alex added.

Liz walked out to the sidewalk and saw Michael was in the drivers' seat of the jeep, waiting for them.

Max pushed up the seat and climbed in the back, turning to lift her in by the waist, careful not to touch her hand. Liz felt butterflies in her stomach at how easy it was for him to lift her.

"Ok, lets go!" Maria said, jogging toward the jeep and hoping into the front seat beside Michael. "Does it hurt?" she asked as they pulled away.

"Yeah…it's stinging," Liz replied. Max returned his arm back to her waist and pulled her close up against him, as if it was the most natural thing to do. It is, Liz realized. She felt so safe and warm in his embrace.

"Can't you go any faster?" Maria asked Michael.

"Do you wanna get pulled over?" he asked in a tight voice.

"Why is it bleeding so much?" Liz asked. The towel was already soaked with blood.

Max gently pulled her hand toward him and lifted it some. "We should keep it elevated," he told her. "It might help stop the blood flow."

"Ok, there it is!" Maria cried, pointing at the hospital.

Michael pulled up to the curb and Maria hoped out. Max climbed out and, once again, gently got Liz out by lifting her up and pulling her up against him.

"Can I park here?" Michael asked.

"I don't think so," Max said. He looked back down at Liz and saw her face was stiff and she was in pain. With out a second thought, Max lifted Liz up into his arms and headed toward the main doors on the hospital.

Maria looked shocked and ran to catch up. "Hey, superman! Wait up!" she ran ahead a little bit and reached the counter first. "My friend cut herself really bad."

Max sat Liz down on the floor, slowly, not wanting to let her go. He could tell from how her arm stayed around his neck; she didn't want to let go either.

"Sign her in and we'll take a look," the nurse behind the counter said, never looking up from her computer screen.

"Look, she's bleeding really bad," Maria added.

"She has to sign in."

Maria gasped and leaned onto the counter. "Hello! This is an emergency! She bleeding all over the place!"

Max tucked Liz under his arm and walked up a little to the counter. "It's really deep. Just take a look at it."

The nurse looked at them and said, "We can't do anything until she signs in and we get her information."

Maria's face turned red and she was about to storm the counter when a pair of hands gripped her shoulders.

"Maria…just calm down," Michael said in her ear.

"I'm calm," she snapped, pulling out of his grasp.

"Look…lets just sit down and wait," Liz said finally.

"Is it still hurting?" Max asked in a sweet voice.

Liz looked up at him and shook her head no, even though her whole hand was throbbing with pain. Max nodded and they both turned around to find a tall man standing behind them.

"Sheriff Valenti," Liz said in surprise.

Part 30 | Index | Part 32
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.