FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 32
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Isabel flicked her eyes onto the counter as he walked by, careful not to let him see her looking. She waited a beat then glanced back up. His face was away from her, but she could read his expression still. And he always had a smile on his face.

His reddish hair and deep green eyes made him stand out in the male population of West Roswell High, but it was his personality the intrigued Isabel the most.

How many guys would put their friends' welfare before their own? Not many, she thought. Well, except Max, but he didn't count; he was her brother. Isabel saw him spin back around and she watched out of the corner of her eye as he filled a soda.

Alex Whitman was different; he was sincere and honest. And his sense of humor was out there, but in a good way. He was loyal to a fault and cared very deeply for all of his loved ones. Isabel knew how much he wanted to go with Liz to the hospital, but he stayed behind to watch the shop for her.

Isabel sighed and looked down at her drink. The cup was just ice and watered down soda by now.

As she was about to ask Alex for another, he whirled around and sat one in front of her. "You looked empty," he said with a grin.

Isabel smiled back up at him and shook her head. "What would I do without you?"

"Go completely insane."

Isabel gave a little laugh. "Probably."

Alex eyed her then shook his head. "I don't know…you seem to know how to handle stuff."

Isabel rolled her eyes. "Handle?" she repeated. "Please…I live with 2 guys who think ice cream is a suitable dinner. I run that household."

Alex leaned his elbows down on the counter in front of her and Isabel looked into his eyes. They were a deep emerald green and glowed. "Can I ask you a question?"

Isabel nodded, still looking into his eyes.

"What exactly happened at that dinner the other night?" he asked.

Isabel finally pulled her eyes away and sighed. "This is so gonna mess everything up."

Alex nodded. "See, Liz and me were talking toady. She was really down and when I saw her last night she was all happy about her dream-"

Isabel looked back at him and put her hand on his arm. "Wait-tell me about the dream."

Alex was looking down at her hand and just nodded. "Um…she said it was in the desert or something. There was water and-and Max was there. I don't know…it sounded a little weird," Alex got out finally.

Isabel looked back at the door and silently begged them to get back soon.

***

Liz was frozen as she looked up at the sheriff's face. She couldn't see his eyes behind his glasses, but she knew he was probably looking at Max and wondering what was going on. All Liz could make out was her own reflection in his sliver shades, and it looked guilty.

No good father likes to see his son's girlfriend with her arms around another guy, she thought. Liz just looked up at him, unable to speak.

"Liz, you're all signed in…" Maria trailed off as she finally noticed Valenti was standing there. "Um, sheriff, what brings you here?"

Valenti pulled off his glasses and regarded Maria. "There was a wreck and I came to check up on the victims. What brings you by?" he asked, looking back at Liz.

Max noticed how stiff Liz was and didn't know what to say. Finally, Maria said, "Liz cut her hand."

"Got quite a lot of blood there," he said, noticing how Max's shirt was covered also. "Can I take a look?" the sheriff asked, taking off his hat and putting in a seat.

Liz barley nodded and let Valenti take her hand. He unwrapped it and looked up at her. "How'd this happen?" Liz just swallowed and looked at Maria for help.

"She slipped."

Valenti nodded and looked around the room. He took in everyone and then looked back at Liz. "I'll see if we can get you back any quicker." He walked over to the counter and Maria hurried to Liz's side.

"Liz, babe, are you ok?"

"That guy gives me the creeps," Michael said, joining the circle.

"He's just doing his job," Max pointed out, but was still confused on why he had Liz so freaked. Max gently steered Liz to a love seat and they both sat down, his arm still around her waist.

Maria followed and scuffed at the floor with her feet. "I don't know…he's just a little to 'nice' if you ask me."

Michael stood beside her and nodded. "Yeah, he's always trying to get into your business."

"Ok, you'll be taken back next," the sheriff said, walking back over. "Mr. Guerin."

Michael acknowledged him with a nod then sat down in a chair and laid his head back, closing his eyes. Maria rolled her eyes and sat down beside Liz in a chair.

Valenti cleared his throat and zeroed in on Max. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Sheriff Jim Valenti."

Max looked up at his outstretched hand and knew he would have to remove his arm from Liz to shake it. He finally pulled his hand out and shook it. "Max Evans."

Valenti nodded and looked back at Liz. "Well, I'm glad to know you have such loyal friends to come down here and wait with you."

Liz gave a little smile and noticed Maria was rolling her eyes. She saw Michael raise an eyebrow, him too sensing the hidden applications of the comment.

"So, Max, are you new to town?"

Max gazed up at the sheriff and nodded. "Yeah, about 2 weeks ago."

"You go to West Roswell?"

"Yeah," Max answered as he felt Liz tense a little. He glanced at her and could tell she was uncomfortable. "Me and my sister just started."

"You have a sister, well, I'll have to remember that. She at the high school too?" he asked.

"Same grade," Maria informed the sheriff. "We all go to school together." She shot Max a look and he knew she was trying to take him out of the spotlight. He thanked her and she gave him a little smile.

"I had no idea you all hung out," Valenti said, motioning to Michael, Liz, and Maria. Michael slouched down and mumbled, "I do have friends, you know."

Max felt Liz shift in her seat again and looked at her. "Are you ok?"

Liz looked up at him and nodded, but didn't speak. Max was getting worried. Liz was a very open and friendly person.

"I'm sure Liz is fine Mr. Evans. She may need a few stitches for her hand though. It might make it a little hard to take notes and stuff," Valenti said. "Well, I need to get back. Nice to meet you Max Evans."

"You too, sir," Max said, shaking his hand once more.

"You get well soon," he added to Liz. The sheriff put his hat back on then looked at Maria and Michael. "Ms. DeLuca, Mr. Guerin, hope to run into you again on a nicer basis."

"You too," Maria replied as he walked away.

"Me not," Michael added.

Max shook his head and looked down at Liz. She was watching him walk away, her face etched with worry.

"I can not believe him," Maria said suddenly. "Did you hear what he said?"

"Valenti's a little snitch. He'll tattle the first chance he gets," Michael replied.

Max looked at them both and was complete lost. Snitch what? He thought.

"Ms. Parker?" a voice called.

Liz looked up and saw the nurse looking around. She stood and Max followed, wanting to make sure she was ok to walk. Her face was pale and she looked a little dizzy.

"You want me to go back with ya babe?" Maria asked.

Liz shook her head. "No…I'll be ok." She walked over to the nurse, who looked her up and down.

"Miss, are you 18?" Liz shook her head 'no'. "You have to have an adult accompany you."

"My mom's out of town on a errand," Liz replied. "There's no way to get hold of her."

Michael nudged Max and he finally spoke up. "They just have to be 18?" The nurse nodded, and Liz shot him a look. Max gave her a little smile and added, "I'm 18."

Part 31 | Index | Part 33
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.