FanFic - Max/Liz
"Hidden Paths"
Part 40
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Ok, the name of the song Maria sings is 'I Quit' by Hepburn, and it can be found on the 'Buffy, the Vampire Slayer' Album. Which, I have to say, kicks some ass :>)
Liz kicked a stray rock, making dust fly up too. Max was beside her, his hand only an inch from hers. God, she wanted him to reach over and hold hers. But he didn't. And, of course, she didn't reach for him either.

"So, you don't know anything, or why you can do…what you did?" Liz asked, still walking and kicking the rock.

Max nodded in agreement. "I never really…I used to be able to sense stuff, you know? I could tell when Michael was gonna call; I'd pick up the phone right before it would ring. Or could tell when Isabel was upset. I could always sense her the most."

Liz could see the compassion in his eyes for his sister. "You too are really close?"

"Yeah…I didn't really hang out with a lot of people. Isabel was basically my social group," Max admitted.

"Well, now ya got me," Liz said with a smile. "And Alex and Maria of course," she added after a beat.

"Of course." Max looked at her for a second then sighed, glancing back at the scenery as they walked. He saw a group of rocks in the distance, and stared at them. There was something…

"So," Liz looked up at Max, noticing he faraway gaze. "Max?"

"What?" he asked, looking back at her, totally forgetting about the cliff.

As they started to walk again, Liz trailed her hand over the old, paint shipped fence. "I was just wondering what you ca do? I mean, what else do you remember?"

Max shrugged. "Not much…Isabel would have dreams and we would both know what happened in them or Michael would call, saying he knew I missed him; stuff like that."

Liz stopped, looking up at him. "Isabel and Michael?"

Max stopped too, realizing what he just did. "Um…" he looked at Liz's caring face, knowing she would understand. "Yeah…them too."

Liz thought back, starting to place all the pieces together. "Isabel…she said things, I guess we really did connect as friends," she joked.

Max sighed in relief, glad that Liz wasn't freaking out on him. He knew he could trust her. And Maria and Alex. They could handle this too, Max thought. ***

"What did you hear?" Michael demanded, glaring at Maria and Alex.

Maria took a deep breath and said, "something about being a freak."

Isabel paled and choked back a sob, making Michael storm over to Maria. "See what you did?!" he yelled.

"Just back off," Alex ordered, stepping between Maria and Michael.

Maria looked at Michael with wide eyes then back at Isabel. She was crying, her face hidden behind her hands. Maria walked over, pulling Isabel into a hug. Isabel finally relaxed and hugged her back.

"I didn't mean you were a freak," Maria whispered. "But I think Michael is," she joked.

Isabel gave a little laugh then pulled away. "Thank you."

"Hey, what are friends for?" Maria asked.

Michael, not being able to stand it anymore, asked, "what did you hear?" again.

Maria looked at her over her shoulder. "Enough to know you're hiding something."

"Something we might be able to help with," Alex added, walking farther into the room.

"You can't help," Michael mumbled.

"We can try."

"Alex, you can't," Michael repeated.

Maria glared over at Michael. "I don't know what you think, but I'm not gonna ditch my friends when things get tough."

"Tough? Ok, try this on. Isabel, Max, and me have super powers. We can enter peoples dreams, fix broken glasses, and see things before they happen."

Maria froze, looking at Michael, then at Isabel. "You're kidding right?" Alex asked.

"Scared?" Michael asked. "Think we're freaks?" When Maria and Alex both kept quiet, Michael snorted. "Yeah…I'm so sure you still wanna help us."

Isabel shifted on her feat before looking at Michael. "He's lying."

"Isabel…it's better we know now that they aren't gonna like us before-"

"Before what? The mother ship comes and gets us?!" she exclaimed. "How dare you just assume-"

"Assume?" Michael asked, cutting her off. "Isabel, you had a flash of where Max is! You touched a guy and saw an experimentation room! I can't spell it put any more clearer then that!"

Maria watched in stunned silence as Isabel roared and lunged at Michael. Just as she was about to reach him Alex grabbed her back, pulling her tightly up against him. Michael was frozen in his spot, his expression one of denial.

"How could you do this?!" Isabel screamed. "I finally find good friends and you…you…" her voice trailed off, drifting into sobs.

"Isabel…" Michael's voice was low and full of emotion, and Maria couldn't help but feel for him. He looked so vulnerable as Isabel cried.

Isabel, pulling free of Alex, ran from the room. Michael started to follow her when Alex stopped him. "Maybe you should wait here."

Maria could see Michael's pained look as Alex left the room, going after Isabel. He finally fell down to the bed, his eyes downcast to the floor.

Shifted uncomfortably, Maria cleared her throat. "Are you ok?" she asked softly.

"Do I seem ok?" Michael replied.

Maria metaphorically kicked herself and nodded. God, this was awful. She wanted to do something but…

"I'm not gonna hurt you," Michael snorted.

"I never said you would."

"But you're thinking it," Michael threw back, glaring up at her. "Just admit it."

"Admit what?" Maria asked.

"That you're scared of me now."

"I've always been scared of you," she mumbled, hoping he wouldn't push the issue. Maria wasn't sure what to think.

Michael stood up and walked till they were face to face. "Does this make you nervous? You feel trapped?"

"Michael, stop it," Maria said casually, trying to remain calm.

But he didn't; he just walked even closer. "Why? You afraid? Think I'm gonna give ya my death ray eyes?"

Maria took a few steps back and glared up at him. "I'm serious, quit it," she joked, but her voice was wavering.

"Or maybe I have a sick disease you can catch if I get too close."

Maria's back hit the wall as she took a few more steps back. She didn't have anywhere else to go and Michael was only inches away from her now.

"What if I kissed you? "

"Michael…" Michael squeezed even closer to her and Maria stared back at him.

"Would that make you a freak too? Does that scare you?"

"Yes!" Maria screamed, not being able to stand it any more. "Ok? It would make me nervous!"

Michael gave her a sneer and said, "it would make you sick, you mean." He pushed away from her and Maria took a deep breath, but stopped when she saw his face. Michael looked so lost and sad…it was heart breaking.

This was the same guy she had feelings-not that she wanted to admit it. The same guy who could make her tremble with just one of his intense looks. The guy who could make her knees buckle when he touched her. The guy who she…

"I would be nervous…if you were gonna kiss me," Maria finally admitted, looking at the top of his head, his face now hidden as he looked down. "But not scared or afraid…and never disgusted."

Michael's head shot up and she continued. "Look…you gotta give me time to process all this, ok? I was just told that my new friends have…whatever." Maria sighed and rubbed her head. "It's just a lot to take in."

"I know," Michael finally said, giving her a little smile.

Maria smiled back and crossed her arms. "Ok…now I feel embarrassed," she mumbled.

"Why?"

She looked down at him and shook her head. "Nothing I just…nothing." God…how could she admit the thought of him kissing her would make her stomach flop?! Well, she didn't actually say that, but it was kinda implied!

Michael just shook his head.

***

Alex found Isabel in her room, looking out the window. Knocking on the door softly, he walked in. "hey…you ok?"

Isabel didn't answer him, still staring out her window. Alex walked a few feet closer, but stopped when Isabel suddenly spun to look at him.

"I'm scared Alex…Michael and Max keep saying that we have these-these powers or something…" Isabel's voice wavered as she tried to keep her control.

Sighing, Alex walked closer and tried to embrace, but she pushed away.

"No!" she recoiled and wrapped her arms around herself. "I can't…I can't let you touch me."

"Why?" Alex asked softly. "Isabel…whatever you're going through, I'm here for you."

Looking up with watery eyes, Isabel asked, "even if I'm a freak?"

Shaking his head, Alex replied, "you're not a freak."

"I see things Alex…I touched a picture of Max and-and I know where he is."

"So you have a deep connection with your brother-" he started to say.

"No! You're not hearing me!" Isabel exclaimed. Alex stopped and watched as she started to cry, feeling helpless.

"I see images and feel things…I cleaned the whole kitchen with just a wave of my hand! I made paint disappear! And I see things when I touch people…and I can't touch you," she whispered.

"Yes you can," Alex insisted. When Isabel shook her head, Alex walked closer and made her look at him. "Now you're not listening to me. I don't care Isabel. I'm not going anywhere."

Sighing with what he hoped was happiness, Isabel leaned into him and Alex wrapped his arms around her waist. Running a hand through her hair, Alex added, "besides, if you do see anything, I got nothing to hide."

Part 39 | Index | Part 41
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.