FanFic - Max/Liz
"I Left My Heart in Roswell, New Mexico"
Part 5
by Isabel
Disclaimer: Nothing's mine! *sniffle*
Summary: The gang is in their senior of high school when tragedy strikes.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Liz impatiently tossed a red tank top aside. "No, no. That one doesn't look right, either," she muttered. She snatched up a baby blue halter top and held it up to her chest. It was quickly discarded on top of the rapidly growing heap of clothes. Liz sighed and sat back on her heels as she glared at the mountain of clothing piled up in a corner of the room.

Suddenly, she was overcome with guilt. Here she was, frustrated because she couldn't find an outfit for her date with Max. Heck, she shouldn't even be going out with Max in the first place. What kind of a person goes out and has fun with her boyfriend while her best friend is probably sitting in her room, crying?

It had been a week since prom night. Michael and Maria had yet to forgive each other or speak to the other for that matter.

Personally, Liz was miffed at both of them, though she would never say that to her best friend, who had enough to grieve about. She couldn't believe Michael had forgotten about Maria's dad and Maria could even think that Michael would put the answers he so desperately wanted before Max and Isabel. Although Liz was furious at Michael for hurting Maria, she and Michael had gotten close over the past couple of years. Not as close as he was to Max, Isabel, or Maria, of course, but still, they would put their lives on the line fo each other without a second thought. So Liz was a bit angry at Maria for saying all those hurtful things.

She was also confused as to why they didn't just apologize and forget about the whole thing. It wasn't like they had anything to argue about, anyway, since Tess had mysteriously disappeared a couple of days after the prom. So why couldn't Maria just admit that she was wrong? That Tess really had been devastated beyond belief? So much that she had to actually leave town because she couldn't stand to be around Max and the rest of them?

She glanced at the clock and sighed again. She had an hour before Max was supposed to pick her up. Oh well. I probably won't be able to get my mind off their fight if I went out with Max, anyway. Might as well call him and cancel.

She picked up the phone and dialed his number. He answered on the third ring.

"Hey, Liz!"

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Our connection, remember?"

"Oh, yeah! Duh!"

"So why are you calling? Couldn't wait another hour to talk to me?" he teased.

"Hah! You wish," she scoffed.

"Anyway," she replied, turning serious, "I was actually calling to cancel our date."

Max's face fell. "Why?"

"Well, I was just thinking about the whole Michael and Maria situation. I probably wouldn’t stop thinking about it all night and cause us both to have a lousy time. I mean, why should we be out having fun while they're both miserable? Especially since I'm partially responsible for their fight? After all, Tess is always picking on me. So Maria was merely defending me when she said all those things."

"Yeah, and Tess only picks on you because I'm with you instead of her, my supposed destiny. So, really, it's all my fault."

Liz opened her mouth o protest but Max spoke up again before she could.

"Liz, we can't keep blaming ourselves. It's not our fault, and certainly not yours. Look, would you feel better if I get Michael and Isabel to come over there so we can force Michael and Maria to kiss and make-up?"

Liz nodded, then realized that Max couldn't see her. "Yes, I would."

"Alright, see you in a little bit."

"Yeah, bye."

"Oh, and Liz?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

***********************************************************************

Liz paced back and forth across her bedroom floor, wringing her hands worriedly. "Where are they? They were supposed to be here at least an hour ago."

"If I know Spaceboy, he probably refused to come. And, actually, I don't blame him. Tell me, how exactly did you get me to come here, again, Liz?"

"Maria, do you honestly want to hold this grudge against Michael forever?"

"Not really," Maria admitted, "but if he wants to be so stubborn and proud, well, I'm perfectly willing to oblige."

Liz groaned. Great. Maria thinks it's all Michael's fault and Michael thinks the same about Maria. They weren't going to get anywhere with both of them having a closed mind. That is, of course, if Max ever got here.

"That's it! I'm really concerned about Max. We hung up two hours ago! I'm calling his house!"

Liz strode over to the phone and was about to pick it up when it rang. 'That had better be Max with a good explanation, or I'm going to be very pissed at both him and the caller,' she thought.

"Hello?"

"Is. . .is. . .this, Liz?" The person on the other end sounded as if they were crying, and Liz could barely make out what he or she was saying.

"Yes it is. Who's calling, please?"

"Liz, dear, it's. . ." the person broke off, sobbing uncontrollably. "This is Diane Evans."

Liz felt a sudden sense of dread wash over her. She was almost too afraid to voice the question her mind was screaming. "Did. . .did something happen? You know, to Max? Or Isabel?"

"I'm afraid so."

The sense of dread was growing stronger by the second, until it almost completely overwhelmed her. "What. . .ha, happened?" she stammered, not wanting to find out the answer.

"They were hi. . .hit by a. . .a. . .a moving van."

"No," she whispered, refusing to believe it. Her worst fears were confirmed.

"Liz, there's so. . .some. . .something els---"

Liz cut her off, knowing that she couldn't bare to hear anymore. "What hospital are they at?"

"That's what I. . .wa. . .was trying to tell you." Mrs. Evans broke down again. "They aren't in any hospital."

"NOOO! They're not--!"

"I wish. Max, Michael, and Isabel were killed instantly by the impact."

Part 4 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.