FanFic - Max/Liz
"I Left My Heart in Roswell, New Mexico"
Part 6
by Isabel
Disclaimer: Nothing's mine! *sniffle*
Summary: The gang is in their senior of high school when tragedy strikes.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Whew! The day is finally over! Liz thought with relief as she spun the combination lock.

“Liz.”

Liz whirled around from her locker, truning towards the all too familiar voice. No, it couldn’t be him…could it? No, she told herself firmly. This was not him. This was merely her foolishly hopeful imagination playing yet another trick on her. She turned back to her locker, ignoring her wildly pounding heart.

“Liz.” The voice came again, this time with a slightly hurt tone.

You will not give into temptation, she silently coached herself. If you turn around, you will discover that there is nothing there, just like so many times before.

But maybe this time will be different, another voice argued.

Hah! Yeah right! And exactly how many times have you said that? And who’s always right in the end? the sensible voice shot back.

Shut up! Liz yelled at them both. Maybe, just maybe, it would be real this one time. And if he was only her own creation, well, that would be just another crack in her heart, which had already been broken a thousand times. What was one more little disappointment?

Liz slowly rotated her feet, until they were pointing towards the noisy hallway. A finger gently tilted her chin up. Liz smiled. The loving gesture had almost felt real. She found herself looing into a pair of deep, soulful brown eyes.

You have really outdone yourself this time.

“Liz, it really is me. I’m back.”

Liz couldn’t get her mouth to form any words. All she could do was cling to him with all her strength and cry, never wanting to let go.

************************************

“Come on, Liz. Let’s go to the cave, and I’ll explain what happened.” Liz instantly got a look of panic on her face at the mention of another drive.

“Oh, don’t be so paranoid. Nothing is going to happen to me.” He smiled down at her, as if amused by her fears. “I promise.” He took her hand and led her out the front doors of the school.

************************************

“See? Almost there. And nothing has happened to me yet.” Just as he said this, Liz stroked his arm, gently, lovingly, as if still doubting whether or not he was real. He was totally unprepared for her touch, and jerked, causing him to lose control. The Jeep bounced crazily back and forth across the road.

“Nooo!” Liz cried. She grabbed the steering wheel, swerving it hard to the right.

*CRUNCH!*

“Max!” she cried, as the glass shattered into millions of tiny pieces.

There was a deep cut on one side of his head, and the blood trickled down in a steady stream.

She took his hand in hers, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks.

“Liz…remember that I love you, always.”

His hand went limp, and she didn’t need to check his pulse. She could feel it in her heart that he was gone. Separated from her forever. Again.

It’s my fault. All my fault. He came back to life just for me and I killed him.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.