FanFic - Max/Liz
"Imbalance"
Part 11
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the WB, Melinda Metz or anyone else involved in the production of the show or the book series. I am merely borrowing the characters, and promise to return them as good as new. :)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: As I have said, this story takes place directly after The Balance. If you can remember that far back, LOL, this is the episode where Michael gets sick, and Max asks to take a step back from Liz. None of the alien mumbo-jumbo occurred. There is no Tess, and Nasedo is just a name. Anyway, try to read this story in that mind set. I wrote this way back in January, and any similarities are PURELY coincidental. (That, or I'm just a mindreader, lol).
The week seemed a blur to Liz Parker. Besides schoolwork and working at the Crashdown, Liz had found herself spending a lot more time with Dave. But nothing had happened. She was glad to have someone to finally talk to, who was like her. She didn’t feel self-conscious when she talked about her love of science. She didn’t feel stupid talking about her academic dreams and how she liked her life to be planned and organized. Dave wanted the same things. And he was in a similar predicament. He had friends who were true to him, but didn’t really understand him. It seemed Liz was the only person who he could relate to.

After some gentle coaxing from Alex, and a huge push from Maria, Liz finally decided to see a movie with Dave on Friday night. Liz was apprehensive, because she felt like she was betraying Max. Maria reminded her, more than once, of course, that she wasn’t with Max, and that Max made the choice to keep them apart, so he should “suck it up.” Liz had to laugh inside, thinking about Maria's way with words.

Liz told Dave that their outing was not a date. Dave seemed let down, but a little too emphatically agreed with her, reassuring her that he really wanted to see this movie, and she was the only person who had shown any interest in it.

Liz wore something Maria had picked out for her. For once, it was actually normal. She was wearing a deep, rose-colored short sleeved sweater and a knee length black skirt. It wasn’t exceptionally fancy, but Maria insisted she wear it. Liz gave in, sensing it would be better to do as Maria said instead of attempting to fight her off, and end up losing anyway.

Liz heard Dave ring the doorbell. She had kicked Maria out of her house ten minutes earlier, knowing Maria would make her nervous. And she had nothing to be nervous about.

Liz went downstairs. She opened the door and found a grinning Dave on her doorstep. She was amazed at how good-looking he was. She had always told herself that they were friends and nothing more, so she never noticed what the entire female population of Roswell saw. He stood before her, in his wool jacket and black pants, holding out a single rose for her.

“I know this isn’t a date Liz. But, I couldn’t help myself. Think of it as a nice gesture.”

Liz found herself blushing, and shyly accepted the rose. “Thanks, Dave.”

“So, should we get going?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Do you need a jacket?”

“No, it’s ok. It’s nice outside, anyway.” Liz commented, gesturing to the clear sky, her eyes quickly darting to the constellation of five stars that changed her life forever.

“Ok. Let’s go then.”

Dave held out his hand, and Liz eyed it carefully. Finally, she placed her small hand in his, and walked to his car.

*****

Max Evans slowly walked down the streets of Roswell. He had heard through the grapevine that Liz was going out with Dave tonight. He felt like he had been punched in the stomach. He had never talked to Dave Lynch in his life, but found himself strongly disliking him. He needed to see how Liz acted around him. Of course, he didn’t want to be stalking her, but he couldn’t help himself. He had to see if she was enjoying herself.

Max had always known that he would have to deal with something like this. He just wasn’t prepared to do it so soon. He kept telling himself that if Liz was happy, he was happy. But a nagging thought at the back of his brain told him she would never truly be happy without him, and then, he would finally be happy. He didn't like himself being so selfish, and he absolutely hated himself for being jealous, but he couldn’t help it. The girl of his dreams was being taken away right in front of his eyes, and he couldn’t lift a finger to do anything about it.

Max’s mind wandered to Liz’s effect over him. He had never felt so…human. When he so much as saw her, he felt happiness, joy and most of all, love. But when she wasn’t with him, he felt frustrated, misery and loneliness. He never realized how much they did have in common. He found himself purposely distancing himself from her, trying to prove to himself more than her that they were different, and didn’t belong together.

Until Dave Lynch had entered the picture, Max felt Liz was convinced they belonged together. And though they weren’t together, he was secretly satisfied that she still wanted to be with him, as much as he wanted to be with her. But now, he wasn’t so sure. He felt he had finally pushed her far enough away that maybe, just maybe, she didn’t feel the same any longer.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Max looked up, and saw that it had begun to rain. As he tried to find shelter, the rain started to pour. He backed himself under a tiny ledge that was already teeming with wet people. The awning was giving little protection, so Max decided to head inside. Shaking the rain off his clothes, he turned to see where he was standing. He froze. He was at the movie theater.

*****

Liz and Dave walked out of the movie, analyzing what they had seen. As they were about to walk outside, Dave noticed the rain.

“Oh, wow. Was it supposed to rain today?”

“It was so nice before,” Liz mused.

“You don't have your jacket, do you?”

“Oops,” Liz said sheepishly.

“Well, it’s ok. I’ll go get the Jeep. You can wait here. I don’t want you to be wet and get sick.” Dave smiled at her.

Liz smiled at his kindness. Dave ran outside, dodging cars, as he ran a few blocks to the side street they had been forced to park on.

Liz threw out her popcorn bag and soda in the trash, and stood near the large window in the front of the theater. She was trying to look outside, but the crowd was busy, and a dark figure blocked her view. She sighed, trying desperately to stand on her toes to look over the person standing outside. She gave up, as the person was at least a head taller than her. She figured Dave could honk the horn if he needed to.

Liz continued to wait, wondering why Dave was taking so long. She leaned against the window. The sound she made startled the figure outside, and she saw the person turn.

She gasped. She would know him anywhere. She soon found herself blissfully staring into the fathomless eyes of Max Evans.

*****

Max looked longingly at Liz. Granted, she was on the other side of the glass, but she was there nonetheless.

Max felt all his fears about Liz melt away with one look into her eyes. That was the look she gave to him and nobody else. That was the look that mirrored his own. That was the look of his other half.

*****

Liz couldn’t help but look at Max’s face. It had gone from sad and rain-soaked to one of pure happiness in one instant. She knew then that his feelings for her hadn’t changed from before their break up. They were her own.

He smiled at her. Her own smile was immediate and she could feel herself glowing. She needed to talk to him. She needed to touch him. She needed him.

She leaned forward into the glass, the closest possible she could be to Max. She slowly lifted her hand and placed it on the glass. She saw Max lift his own, and align it with Liz’s. Her hand was tiny in comparison to his, but they were the same. They belonged entwined together.

Liz tapped on the glass with her other hand. “Max!” she called out, over the roar of people.

Max knew she was trying to say something, but he couldn’t hear her. “I can’t hear you!” he called.

Liz quickly understood, and motioned for him to stay put. She hurled herself through the mob of people that were rushing to come inside. She was the only one going outside. Liz pushed more people out of her way, coming full into the rain. Her hair was soaked, and her new outfit was ruined. But it didn’t matter. Max was right there. He was right in front of her.

She finally stopped moving until he was merely inches away from her. If they had their way, they would change that.

Neither of them had to say anything. They knew exactly what they had to do. What they wanted to do. To set things right.

Max lifted his hand to touch Liz’s face, and pushed a few wet tendrils behind her ear. “You’re soaked,” he smiled. “I would’ve come inside.”

“It was too crowded in there anyway,” Liz assured him.

“Yeah, but it’s cold out here. Look, you’re shivering,” Max said, gently tracing the tiny goosebumps that covered her arms. Liz warmed at his tender touch.

“I’ve never been warmer in my life.”

Max smiled. He took off his jacket. “Here, wear this. I don’t want you getting sick.” He helped her into the jacket, making sure to graze her skin whenever he got the chance. Each touch was an electric sizzle. And Liz was right. She may have had goosebumps, but her skin was incredibly warm. “Thank you,” she whispered.

Max leaned in, his forehead gently pressed against Liz’s. One of her hands rested on his chest, while the other slowly played with the wet hair on the back of Max’s head. He was getting dizzy just from her being so close. He let his arms encircle her tiny waist. Things had never felt so right.

“What are you doing here?” Liz asked softly.

“I don’t know,” was Max’s simple reply. “What are you doing here?”

“I don’t know, either.”

Max tilted Liz’s chin upward. The rain was still pouring, streaming droplets over both their faces. They studied each other’s faces, committing every detail to memory. Slowly, they leaned into each other, knowing their kiss would set their worlds right.

Liz could almost feel Max’s lips on her own... BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! ...when she heard an urgent beeping from the corner of her ear. She blinked her eyes. In her giddiness, she had completely forgotten about Dave.

“Oh no,” she breathed.

Max sighed, reluctantly letting go of her body. “That’s for you, isn’t it?” he said wistfully.

Liz couldn’t look at him, so she nodded.

“Well, you better go then.” Max’s shoulders slumped in defeat. He carefully backed away, his eyes still fixed on Liz. The beeping continued. He turned around, and disappeared into the night.

Liz wanted to cry. She wanted to chase after Max and tell him that Dave meant nothing to her. Deep down, she realized Max knew, but she wanted to be able to prove it to him.

Liz gazed forlornly at the blank space in front of her that her soulmate had just occupied. A car pulled up beside her.

“Liz!” A loud voice jerked her back to reality.

Liz turned to face Dave, who looked slightly irritated in his Jeep. When he saw her face, his expression softened. “Liz, what are you doing? Didn’t you hear me?”

“I just…I thought… I don’t know.”

“Well, you’re soaking wet. I better take you home.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea.” She feebly climbed into the Jeep.

“Hey. I thought you didn’t have a jacket.”

*****

Max roamed the streets blindly to his house. He wanted more than anything to be with Liz right now. He needed to be with her. More than ever, Max regretted the day he broke things off with Liz. All he was doing now was meddling in her life. If he hadn’t shown up, Liz would have gone about her life, and would have finally found happiness. If he kept interrupting her like this, both of them would be completely miserable.

Max made a decision. Tonight, he would go into Liz’s dream. He had never done it before, and had vowed to never do it. But it was the only way he could tell her without actually having to tell her. He needed to tell her to move on. Dave was obviously the guy for her. She needed to know that she would never be bothered by Max Evans again.

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.