FanFic - Max/Liz
"Imbalance"
Part 18
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the WB, Melinda Metz or anyone else involved in the production of the show or the book series. I am merely borrowing the characters, and promise to return them as good as new. :)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: As I have said, this story takes place directly after The Balance. If you can remember that far back, LOL, this is the episode where Michael gets sick, and Max asks to take a step back from Liz. None of the alien mumbo-jumbo occurred. There is no Tess, and Nasedo is just a name. Anyway, try to read this story in that mind set. I wrote this way back in January, and any similarities are PURELY coincidental. (That, or I'm just a mindreader, lol).
After his shower, Max sauntered into the kitchen. His father had left for an emergency meeting at his law firm, and his mother had stepped out to do the groceries, so Isabel was the only other person at home.

“Morning, Rip,” Isabel said.

“What?”

“Rip. You know, Rip Van Winkle. Slept for 20 years…?”

“Oh…” Max’s voice trailed off. “Whatever.”

“Ouch. What’s the matter with you?”

“Nothing,” Max shot back defensively.

“Okay, calm down, Max. What did you do, wake up on the wrong side of the bed?”

Max took a deep breath and sighed.

“Never mind. Sorry,” he said.

“Well, I’m going to the mall right now, so I need the car.”

“Fine,” Max said, half-listening to what she was saying.

“Oh, and don’t plan on doing anything tonight. Not like YOU would, but, don’t.”

“Why?” Max said, ignoring his sister’s insult.

“Daddy just got promoted. He’s going to be a partner. So we’re all going out to celebrate. To that new place in town. Something Factory… Cheesecake Factory, I think. I don’t know. It’s supposed to be good.”

Max aimlessly opened the refrigerator, and didn’t answer Isabel.

“Max?” she asked, concerned. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Max looked up at Isabel with dismal eyes. “Yeah,” he said sadly.

Isabel wasn’t sure what to do. Usually when Max got like this, it was best to not talk about it. “Okay. Well,” she said, checking the clock to avoid his eyes. “I better get going. Make sure you’re home by 5:30.”

A pause. “Right.”

“Bye, Max.”

Max nodded, closing the fridge. With a half-hearted wave, he went upstairs, leaving his sister puzzled at his behavior.

*****

Isabel knew her brother well. And she knew he wasn’t okay, despite whatever he said. She also knew what must be depressing him. None other than Liz Parker.

Isabel had verbally disapproved of Max’s relationship with Liz, just like Michael. She sometimes felt bad that they were so harsh on him. He truly did seem to share something with Liz.

But she and Michael had severely warned him about the jeopardy he was placing them all into. They knew it would work, because Max needed to feel like the protector; the peacemaker. Max wanted to keep them safe. So Michael and Isabel pushed their safety above all else.

And for a long time, things were going well -- Max hadn’t done anything with Liz; in fact, he barely spoke to her. It seemed as if everything was back to normal.

Or so Isabel thought.

She hadn’t really noticed how strained the communication between her and her brother had been until today. She had sensed it before, but she didn’t want to acknowledge the fact.

Isabel didn’t want to back down, and let Max be with Liz. She would look soft, and she despised being soft. Liz was really a threat to them, when Isabel thought about it. If Liz felt even half of what Max felt for her, they could be in a serious danger.

What bothered Isabel the most was that Max was supposed to be the responsible, level-headed one. He wasn’t supposed to fall in love with someone, much less a human. He should be correcting what she and Michael did; not lose sight of what was at stake.

More than anything, Isabel was scared of what would happen if Max didn’t play the role he had mastered so well over the years. She knew that individually, neither herself nor Michael were as strong as Max -- Max kept everyone in line. If she lost Max to Liz, she would lose him. And that would be all. She would lose Michael. And herself. And while she occasionally felt remorse for causing Max’s unhappiness, she knew, that in the long run, she and Michael were right. Human-alien relationships were not only ridiculous -- they would never work. All they had to do was to prove Max he was wrong. Then, everything would be normal.

Part 17 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.