FanFic - Max/Liz
"Imbalance"
Part 1
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the WB, Melinda Metz or anyone else involved in the production of the show or the book series. I am merely borrowing the characters, and promise to return them as good as new. :)
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: As I have said, this story takes place directly after The Balance. If you can remember that far back, LOL, this is the episode where Michael gets sick, and Max asks to take a step back from Liz. None of the alien mumbo-jumbo occurred. There is no Tess, and Nasedo is just a name. Anyway, try to read this story in that mind set. I wrote this way back in January, and any similarities are PURELY coincidental. (That, or I'm just a mindreader, lol).
January 19th- It's strange, how sometimes you expect everything that you've wanted for so long to finally fall into place. How something you know is destined to be right will happen, no matter what. That everything will finally fall into place. And then everything falls apart, leaving you incredibly sad and lonely. I guess you need to keep the faith that destiny will play its hand at making things right. I never used to believe in fate or destiny. But people change. I know, because I changed. I changed forever because of Max Evans.

*****

Liz Parker put down her journal. She couldn’t write anymore. She had to do her homework. Dwelling on her pain regarding Max would be too much for one night. Up until Max told her they needed a break, Liz's grades had been slipping. Now, she threw all her energy into her school work. It was the activity where she could actually gain something by only focusing on that and nothing else.

She used school to avoid thinking about Max Evans, and how being without him was killing her. They carefully avoided each other at all costs. All of them. Maria and Alex thought it would be in Liz's best interest not to engage in their own relationships, because of Liz's hidden vulnerability. They valued her too much of a friend to deny her her own chance at happiness. Isabel and Michael did the same, but they did so out of loyalty to their best friend, Max. It was like an unspoken agreement that the four of them shared.

*****

Isabel Evans stared at her brother as their family ate dinner. She took a quick glance at her parents, who were involved in some lengthy discussion about work. Isabel turned back to Max. His eyes were downcast, and he slowly ate his food, as if he were a machine. All of his actions ever since that day in December were rote and mechanical. It was as if he had nothing to live for.

Max looked up to see his sister looking at him. She quickly turned away, and pretended to participate in her parents' discussion. He knew she was worried. But his decision was just that -- his decision. He felt bad that no one was talking to each other -- no one meaning the six of them. The six had ultimately split and reverted to their old groups; Max, Michael and Isabel, and Liz, Maria and Alex. He knew that no one was acting upon any "urges" for his sake, and he felt relieved if not also a little guilty. He felt guilty that he was depriving his best friends of happiness, but he was relieved in knowing that nothing could go wrong. If they stayed away, things would be better. If they slipped up and gave in to the little voice in their hearts, it could be a perilous mistake. Max was happy to be the rational leader again. But deep down, he only felt sadness.

Max pushed out his chair and stood up. "Can I be excused?" His parents exchanged looks. "Sure," said Mrs. Evans hesitantly. Max took away his half- eaten plate and entered the kitchen. The three watched Max trudge up the stairs. Max's parents had seen a change in Max ever since December also. They always knew he was quiet -- teachers were always telling them he was very introverted, much unlike his outspoken sister. But now he was sullen -- sullen even for Max. There was one point in December that Max had seemed cheerful, and happy. But now it was as if he had nothing to live for.

*****

RING!! The shrill cry of the telephone startled Liz. RING!! RING!! RING!! "I'm coming, I'm coming," Liz thought.

"Hello?"

"Hey Lizzy."

"Hey Maria. What's up?"

"Um, nothing much, nothing much. Can I have the history homework?"

"Yeah, just hold on a second."

Liz put down the phone to find her assignment notebook. As she fumbled through her books, she though about Maria. And Michael. She knew that Maria liked Michael. She also knew that Maria never mentioned Michael anymore. As she searched through her backpack, she thought about how Maria had first reacted when Liz had told her about Max and his decision. Maria seemed in more shock than I did, thought Liz wryly. Maria was all gung-ho about the soulmates idea until that day. She dropped it after. She had even warned me about this feeling, Liz said to herself.

"Liz?" Liz could hear the tiny voice of Maria on the phone. "Coming!" Liz yelled back.

Coming across her biology lab, Liz was suddenly overcome with depression. It just hit her like a tidal wave. She felt tears welling up, when she commanded herself to stop. Don’t cry Liz, she told herself. You're never going to move on if you're like this. She shook off the cloud of sadness, and picked up the phone.

*****

Max tried to concentrate on his lab, but whenever he looked at it, he thought of Liz. They had had to fill it out together, and now, his sheet was perfumed with her beautiful scent. He thought of her chocolate brown eyes, and how he could just stare into them for eternity. He thought of her silky hair, and the thrill he got from simply running his fingers through it. He thought of her petite frame and how the two of them fit so well together, as if they were meant to be...

Max shook his head, and returned to the lab. He remembered the first day they had spoken after the break. She didn't seem mad, just incredibly sad. The loving look in her eyes was still there, but it was different to see her now. The whole tone of whenever they talked was different. Now, it just related to school. It was almost as if the day at the Crashdown never happened.

Stop thinking about Liz, Max commanded himself. He thought of the first and only time they had kissed, and how everything he had felt was reflected in Liz. He couldn't remember being happier…

Max pushed away the lab. He would never get his other homework done with Liz on his mind.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.