FanFic - Max/Liz
"Last Beautiful Girl"
Part 10
by Girl_Interrupte
Disclaimer: I, in no way, am associated with the actors, writers, producers, etc. of Roswell. The rights to the show belong to: 20th Century Fox, Jason Katims, and the WB.
Summary: Takes place after “End of the World.” It contains spoilers (if you haven‘t seen EOTW), so be warned. A turning a point in the Max/Liz relationship.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is the sequel to, “Returning to Normal.” If you haven’t read that, it’s highly suggested that you read it. If you don’t you may not get this story.
This was not happening, I was not here listening to some doctor telling me that my best friend was dying. No way. Not Liz. The girl that had swung on the swings with me in elementary school. The girl that came over to watch movies all night when my mom went on her dates. The girl that had convinced me to open my heart, and showed me how to love. The girl that had led me to Michael.

A weird, strangling sound erupted into the room. I realized that it had come from me. Mr. and Mrs. Parker were crying into each other’s arms. Isabel and Alex were hugging as if they’d never let go. Michael was clutching my hand. Tess was staring at the floor, tears silently rolling out of her eyes. Madison was hugging her knees to her chest, and rocking back and forth. Kyle was reaching for Tess. Max looked like someone had stabbed him, than twisted the knife in his gut.

Max. Something suddenly occurred to me. It must’ve occurred to Isabel at that exact moment, because I saw a small smile play on her lips. Our eyes met, and we both understood each other.

“I’m going to go call Sandra.” Mrs. Parker stumbled out of the room, Mr. Parker soon following.

This was our time to plan.

“Okay, if we’re going to do this, we have to do it quick.” I whispered.

“Max, you know what you have to do.” Isabel joined me.

I ignored Madison’s looks of confusion. This was no time to explain the whole alien thing. Max’s face suddenly softened. I didn’t realize that he wouldn’t think of healing her. It didn’t even process in him that he could save her. Again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Of course. Why hadn’t I thought of it? The heaviness in my heart lifted a little.

“We need to get you in there, and quick.” Alex’s voice was somewhat wobbly.

“What are you guys talking about?” Madison whimpered.

“There’s no time to explain it now. We just have to get Max in there.” Michael was going into tough-guy mode again.

“There’s no way we can get him in there. Mr. and Mrs. Parker will want to be in there.” Kyle, as always, was the voice of reason.

Nothing could stop me. I was getting in that damn hospital room no matter what. I looked at them, and suddenly I knew the answer.

“Here’s what’s going to happen. Maria and Isabel will distract Mr. and Mrs. Parker as long as possible. I don’t care what you do, just do it. Michael and Kyle, you’ll be the lookouts. Make sure there isn’t any doctors or nurses coming. Tess and Madison, you’ll stay here in the waiting room and distract the doctor in case he comes back. We need him to stay as far from Liz’s room as possible.” I turned to walk toward Liz’s room, when I suddenly had the urge to do this one thing.

I turned back to them.

“Kyle.” He looked at me, “Thank you. For what you did for Liz. You know, back in October.”

He gave me a knowing look, then pushed me to leave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

God, she looked so small. All those tubes stuck in her. I wasn’t prepared for this. I could see her long, dark hair underneath the bandages. She had a dark bruise on the side of her beautiful face. I walked toward the bed, and took a seat next to her.

“Liz.” I whispered.

I picked up her hand and gave it a kiss.

“Can you hear me? There’s something I need to tell you. Before I heal you. Maria told me about what happened with you and Kyle. Don’t get mad at her. You know Maria.” I chuckled, but it ended up sounding forced, “I’m so sorry for all the hurt I’ve put you through. I never stopped loving you. And that day, when you were leaving for Ohio, and you saw me in the alley. I wanted to stop you so bad, to run and pull you out of the car. But I was too stubborn.”

I used my sleeve to wipe away my tears.

“When you get all better, I want to hold you in my arms again. And kiss you. Just like things used to be, before that day in the cave. How could I let us be apart for so long?”

The machine next to her was beeping, signaling life. I needed to heal her now, before it was too late. I put both my hands on her arm and focused on making the connection.

“I love you.” I whispered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Max? Was that Max? His voice sounded so far away. Was I imaging it? I tried opening my eyes, but they felt like lead weights.

“I love you.”

I was struggling to respond to him, to let him know that I was still there. I focused all my energy on opening my eyes. Slowly they opened, and sure enough Max was there. I became conscious of his hands on my arm.

“I love you too.”

Had I said that out loud, or had I said it in my head?

His eyes found mine, and I knew that he had heard me. He bent down and kissed me on the lips.

This is what I had waited for, this is what had kept me going.

Now I could go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeeeep. The machine held the steady beep. The sound of life had quickly turned to the sound of death.

I grabbed Liz’s arm again, and focused on the connection.

Suddenly there were images flying at me. Of our first kiss, our first breakup, us in the eraser room, Liz seeing me kissing Tess, Liz walking away from me at the cave, Liz seeing me for the first time after 3 months. Then, Liz with a future version of me. Them spying on me and Tess. Liz and Kyle in bed together. Liz with my future version, dancing on her rooftop, then my future version disappearing. Leaving Liz alone. Us on the rooftop last night. Us right here, in this hospital room. Then it all went black.

No. No. No. I tried to make the connection again, but it was all black. Death black.

My life was gone. My soul was gone. My heart was gone.

Liz was gone.

Part 9 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.