FanFic - Max/Liz
"Last Kiss"
Part 1
by James
Disclaimer: If I owned them, then I wouldn't be writing about them.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: I recommend listening to the song while reading the story if you have it. E-mail me and tell me what you think, good or bad: CDhog20@yahoo.com
Well, where oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good,
so I can see my baby when I leave this world.
We were out on a date in my daddy's car.
We hadn't driven very far.
Up in the road, straight ahead ...
A car was stalled; the engine was dead.
I tried to stop, so I swerved to the right.
Never forget the sound that night ...
The cryin' tires, the bustin' glass.
The painful scream that I heard last.
Oh where oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good,
so I can see my baby when I leave this world.
Well, when I woke up, the rain was pourin' down.
There were people standing all around.
Something warm running through my eyes,
but I found my baby somehow that night.
I held her head, and when she smiled, and said,
"Hold me darling for a little while."
I held her close. I kissed her one last kiss.
I found the love that I knew I would miss.
But now she's gone, even though I hold her tight.
I lost my love, my life, that night.
Oh where oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good,
so I can see my baby when I leave this world.

Max was sitting in his favorite chair and was holding the most valuable possession he owned. In his hands was Liz Parker's journal, the only girl that he ever loved and ever would love. Max opened the journal to the last entry she wrote:

Max Evans, the biggest mystery I have ever met in my life. He makes my insides melt with the gaze of his eyes, the way that he holds me I know that he'll never let anything happen to me. We are going out tonight to celebrate our one-year anniversary. He said that where he is taking me is a secret and I love his secrets. I will write more tonight when I get home, or if I get home tonight.

Max smiled and a tear ran down his cheek at the thought of what happened that night. It was a night that he hadn't forgotten for seventy-three years.

Flashback

Max stood in front of the mirror finishing getting ready for the night. He gave himself one last look over and smiled. He couldn't wait to pick Liz up and take her to their favorite place where he planned to share all his love with her. His jeep was in the shop so his father gave him the use of his car for the night. It was a nice night out, but there was a chance of showers over night. Max exited the door and went downstairs to grab the keys from his father. "I just got new brakes on the car and they haven't settled yet so be careful when braking son," his father said throwing him the keys.

"I will dad. I'm going to be spending the night over at Michael's tonight so you don't need to worry about me," Max shouted while he closed the door behind him. That was the plan, to stay over at Michael's while he and Liz were out. Max was walking on clouds when he walked into the Crashdown that night. He saw Liz in her black silk dress and her hair done up just the way he liked. He walked over to her. "Hi Liz, are you ready?" Liz turned around and took Max's hand.

"Yeah, let me go tell my parents I'm leaving," she replied, then walked to the back and told her parents she was leaving. Max only waited for a few minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. Liz walked out and they left for the restaurant.

"So, what is the surprise Max?" Liz asked, finally breaking the silence. She could only smile because she new what was going to happen. She had wanted to be with Max since the first time she met him at school a year ago. They had talked about it but they had never done anything, except kiss and do some feeling.

"You'll just have to wait and find out Liz." Max smiled. I wonder if tonight can get any better? Max thought to himself. Max was about a mile out of Roswell when in the distance a car was stopped with their hazards on. Max didn't think anything of it while the distance between the two vehicles shortened.

"Liz, I didn't know what love was until you came into my life." Max took one hand off the steering wheel and placed it on Liz's knee. He gave it a gentle squeeze. She placed her hand on top of his and replied, "My life has been complete ever since you came into it Max."

Max turned his face and looked at Liz: They didn't have to share any words to express their feeling for each other. "MAX!! Look out!!" Liz shouted. Max turned to face the freeway and the car that was about five miles away was only about a fourth of a mile away now. Max slammed on the brakes but they did not grab. The car sped ahead towards the parked car. Max pumped the brakes a few times and nothing happened. It was too late now. Max turned the car so they would hopefully miss the stalled car.

The car swerved left and Liz let out a scream. The scream was of pure terror and fear. It was a scream that you only hear in nightmares, but it was reality and it came from Liz. The tires locked and started to screech but it was too late. Max crashed into the car and Liz's window broke. Glass flew everywhere. Max's world went black.

Max couldn't hold the tears back anymore as he remembered the night of the crash. He sat in his chair, looked at his wrinkled hand and tightened his grasp on the journal. He couldn't stop the images of that night anymore; the events had played in his head everyday, every night, and every second of his life. What could I have done differently? Why did I look at her at that moment? Where has my baby gone? These questions haunted Max all the time. He closed his eyes as the next flash of that night ran through his head.

Flashback

The sound of lightning crashing woke Max up. He felt raindrops hitting him on the head, and when he opened his eyes, police and paramedics were standing all around him. "Are you okay there, son?" One of the paramedics questioned.

"Yes, I think so sir," Max mumbled. He still was not coherent to what was going on around him. Max felt something run down his forehead and run into his left eye. He wiped it with his hand and looked at it. Blood engrossed his finger. That was all it took for him to remember the events of the night; picking Liz up, driving down the road, seeing the car ahead of them, and not being able to stop.

"Where is Liz?" Max shouted. "Liz! Liz! Where are you? Get away from me now!" Max commanded to everyone. With the help of a policeman Max stood and looked around for Liz. He saw his father's car as one with the stalled car. Max started walking towards the car, but stopped in his tracks when he saw Liz laying on the pavement with paramedics urgently working on her. Max's heart fell to the ground and shattered into a million pieces. "NO! NO! Not Liz! Anyone but her!" Max ran over to Liz and knelt beside her.

"Sir, you can't be here right now! Please let us to our job," the paramedic yelled at Max. Liz's eyes slowly opened, as if it hurt her to open them.

"Max? Max is that you?" She questioned, and she got a response right away. Max's hand clasped hers and he pulled her to him. "I'm here Liz, I'm here," he told her.

"Hold me Max, just hold me." Liz looked up at Max with love in her eyes and smiled. Max looked down at her with the same love in his eyes and lowered his head. Their lips met and shared the most passionate kiss imaginable, but there was a sense of something fading also. Max didn't want the kiss to ever end; he wanted the world to freeze so that he and Liz could stay like that forever. Liz's head lowered and her grasp lessened on Max's hand. Max raised his head and looked at how peaceful she appeared. She was his Sleeping Beauty, but no kiss would wake her this time. "I'll never love anyone as much as I love you." A tear ran down Max's face and splashed on Liz's cheek. Max buried his face in her hair so that he would never forget the smell of her. He held her tightly to him so that the feel of her body would never be lost on him. Max raised his head to the sky and let the rain hit his face. He let out a scream of "Liz!" that sounded like thunder rolling across the sky. Everyone stopped and looked at the two lovers on the ground.

Max opened his eyes, looked around him and saw the familiar surroundings of his porch. He closed Liz's journal and held it tightly to his chest. The events of that night once more flashed before him, but this time it was different. He was not scared at seeing the flashes again, but was comforted by them. A smile ran across Max's aged face, and Liz's journal fell to the ground. A peaceful silence and nothing but the sound of Max's last breath could be heard.

The two lovers would finally be together forever.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.