FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Letter"
Part 1
by Heather
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: This takes place after the last episode of the first season. Liz and Max haven't spoken yet and Max loves Liz more than ever but is scared she won't forgive him. The Liz recieves a mysterious letter and her relationship with Max takes a turn for the worst. Find out the ending by reading the rest of the story.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Chapter 1 Changing Destiny

Dear Journal, A lot of people think you can't experience true love when you're as young as me, but I have. I've had my heart broken in my life before too, but when Max broke up with me, my heart was crushed into itty-bitty pieces. If I've written this once I've written it a million times, but I love Max Evans, and I always will no matter what.

"Liz, I know you don't want to here this but you have got to get over Max. This isn't healthy," said Maria who was silently reading Liz's diary over her shoulder as Liz wrote in it. "No Maria. Me without Max is what isn't healthy," Liz replied.

"Liz, you saw Max's own mother explain his destiny, explain who he would end up with. That someone was Tess. You know I hate her just as much as you do for that very reason, but maybe you and Max just weren't meant to be. You can't change that." "Maria, do you know that one saying? Love conquers all. Well, I believe it. That saying means that love conquers everything, even destiny. I love Max, and he might be attracted to Tess, but he loves me." "Honey, I'm not saying he doesn't, but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that destiny will be destiny and you can't change it. Believe me, if destiny could be changed Michael would still be with me." Liz objected. What if I decide not to believe in destiny. Maria, you just don't understand Max. We saw into each other's souls. Every relationship has obstacles. Tess is just another obstacle in our relationship. If Max didn't think we were meant to be, he never would have saved me that day at the Crashdown, he wouldn't have trusted me enough to tell me what he is, and he never would have connected with me. Just give him time Maria. He will come around." Liz only wished that she could believe everything she was telling Maria.

Chapter 2 The Open Diary

The next day at the Crashdown Max, Michael and Isabel were seated at their usual booth. Isabel and Michael were noisily chatting with one another, not even noticing how quite Max was. Max had a lot of things on his mind. Mostly Liz. He knew he had hurt Liz really badly that day in the desert. Max was a firm believer in destiny, but unlike everyone else Max knew that his destiny was to be with Liz. He wanted to tell her how much he loved her the day she ran away from him in the desert, but Michael had held him back. Max regretted not going after her that day more than anything now. He should have struggled with Michael until he was let go, but he didn't. Now it was too late to do anything about it. He knew it was too late by the occasional tear that would stream down Liz's face whenever Max would steal a glance in her direction. Max hated himself knowing that he put that lonely look in Liz's eyes. He hated that he didn't have the guts to talk to Liz about what happened. Max hated the fact that even if he did ask for Liz's forgiveness, she might not give it to him. Max hated Tess. Max hated that the small attraction he had once felt for Tess had taken away the only thing that kept him going, his love for Liz. "Snap out of it Maxwell." Michael's words brought Max back to the present. "I think Liz hurt Max more than Max hurt Liz, and Liz didn't even do anything," said Isabel, more to herself than anyone else. After a few minutes of silence Michael suddenly blurted out, "Just go talk to her already Max." "I can't," Max said. "If there was only a way I could find out if she would forgive me." "Go talk to Maria," Isabel suggested. Max's only response to that was a soulful look in Liz's direction. She looked so lost without him, though Max. "I've had enough of this," said Michael as he scooted out of the booth, headed towards the spot where Maria was standing, took her arm and led her into the back room. "Listen, is there any chance at all that Liz would take Max back? I know she must have talked to you about these things." "I don't think I'm really at liberty to discuss Liz's feelings with you Michael." "Listen, everybody knows that Max and Liz belong together."

"Michael, you don't understand how badly Max hurt Liz. She may look OK on the outside, but her heart and soul were squished the day they broke up. I don't want her getting hurt like that again. Besides, what happens when you guys find a way to get back to your home planet? Max would leave Liz and we she would have to go through this all over again. You say everyone knows that Max and Liz belong together. Well, everyone used to think that you and me belonged together too, but not everything always goes the way you want it to." With that Maria walked away, but he could have swore when she turned the corner he saw her eyes glisten with tears. Michael returned to the table, defeated. "Well?" said Isabel. "Forget it. Talking with Maria is like talking with a brick wall," stated Michael. Max finally worked up enough guts to take matters into his own hands. He got up and slowly moved towards the counter where Liz was standing. As soon as Liz spotted Max, her knees turned to Jelly and what was left of her broken heart melted, but she grabbed her book of orders and hurried away. She still hadn't thought about what she would say to Max if he approached her. Even though Liz had run away, max still continued to move forward, for he saw Liz's Journal lying open on the countertop. He knew this might be the only way to find out if Liz would ever forgive him, so he took his chances, picked up her journal, and read the last entry to himself.

Dear Journal, Max just entered the Crashdown with Isabel and Michael. Thank goodness Tess didn't come too. I don't think I could have taken the sight of Tess hanging all over Max. My one wish is that everything would just go back to the way it used to be. Maria keeps telling me I should get over Max, but I know by her telling me that Max is not my destiny she is only dealing with losing Michael. She loved him more than he could ever know. Well, I have tables to wait on. Bye for now. I will continue to write the following until max comes back to me: I love you Max, you are my destiny.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

After about five minutes of hiding in the back of the Crashdown, Liz began to get bored. She decided that she would write in her journal about what had just happened, only Liz couldn't find it. Suddenly she realized exactly where it was. Forgetting all about avoiding Max, Liz hurried out to the counter to find her journal lying in the exact same position it had been in when she had left it. Liz was relieved that no one had read it. She didn't want the world to think that she was desperate for Max's love. Liz quickly glanced at the table where max was sitting. His eyes were staring straight at Liz. Liz fell into his beautiful deep eyes. Finally Max turned away. If Liz wouldn't have been recovering from that soul searching stare, she would have seen max smile for the first time since that heart breaking day in the desert.

Chapter 3 The Letter

When Liz returned home late that night, there was a letter waiting for her on her front porch. Liz slowly unfolded it and began to read:

Dear Liz, I can tell by the way you look at me that you still love me. There was a time where I think I loved you too. That was before I met sweet, wonderful Tess. She makes my world complete. I hope you understand what I am telling you and I hope this letter brings closure to our situation. I also think it would be wise for us not to be friends. Seeing each other and knowing we could never be a couple would be too hard on the both of us. So I guess this is goodbye. -Max Evans

Liz, in pure shock, made her way through the house to her bedroom, curled up on her bed, and cried herself to sleep. Tess's dark shadow loomed outside Liz's window. "My plan seems to be working quite well, Tess thought to herself.

Chapter 4 Heartbroken Twice

That night Max was lying in bed, too excited to sleep. Liz still loved him and she would take him back! He couldn't wait until the next morning when he could confess his feeling to Liz, and help all the hurting she was feeling to go away. Finally, a few hours later, Max drifted off to sleep.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The next morning Isabel walked into the kitchen to find Max at the table with his head in his hands. "What's wrong Max?" asked Isabel.

"I went dream walking last night. Liz told me that she hates me. She asked me how I could hurt her so badly, twice."

"Twice?" said Isabel.

"I know," said Max. "I was speechless. I haven't hurt her twice. Have I? I can only think of the time in the desert. What have I done?" Max asked, very confused.

"You stay here max. I'm going to go talk to Liz."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Isabel walked into the Crashdown later on that morning not knowing what to expect. She walked to the counter and spotted Maria. "Hey Maria. Is Liz here?" asked Isabel. "No. She's not coming in today." "Did she tell you why?" asked Isabel. Apparently she went home last night and found a letter from Max on her porch. Let me put it this way. It was not a very happy letter. It was all about how he loved Tess and not Liz, and how they shouldn't be friends." "That's impossible!" Isabel cut in. "Max walked home last night with both me and Michael. We didn't drop by Liz's house. I know for a fact that he wouldn't have written a letter that would hurt Liz. You should have seen him last night after we left. He rambled on and on non-stop about how Liz loved him and she would forgive him. He was on top of the world." "And how would he know that Liz would forgive him?" asked Maria. "Well, umm… don't tell Liz but yesterday Max went up to her to talk about things and she ran away but he saw her journal lying open on the counter and he read her last entry. "Well, if Max didn't write that letter, who did?" asked Maria. At that moment Tess strode through the door. "Isabel, Maria, hi!" she said walking towards the pair. You guys are the first people I've talked to all morning. Where's Liz? Tess asked. "She stayed home today," replied Maria. "Oh yeah. My, I mean Max's letter," Tess stammered. "What do you mean Max's letter?" asked Maria. "How could you know about Max's letter if we are the first people you have talked to all morning. Tess hesitated, trying to find the words. "I heard you two talking." "From all the way outside? Sure, your powers might be stronger than ours, but they're not that good," said Isabel, catching on to what Tess had done. "I guess we know who the author of that letter is. I need to go tell Liz the news before my lunch break ends." With that Maria was off.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Knock knock knock. "Liz, are you in there?" Slowly the door opened to reveal a puffy red eyed Liz. "Liz, Maria anxiously said, "Max didn't write that letter. Tess did. She just wanted you to get all steamed at Max. "No Maria, you were right. Destiny can't be changed. Max and Tess belong together. "No." Came a voice from behind Maria. I belong with you Liz." I was Max! "You mean you really didn't write that letter Max?" "No, I would never do that. I love you Liz. I won't let my mother decide my destiny. I will make my own, and I want you to be my destiny Liz," said Max. "And I want you to be my destiny Maria." Michael appeared behind Max. After a moment of silence it sunk what Michael and Max were telling the two girls. Max wrapped his arms around Liz, Michael wrapped his arms around Maria and both couples kissed, lost in each other's love.

Chapter 5 Revenge

Finally school was over. Tess had spent the entire day watching Max and Liz walk down the halls, holding hands; Max and Liz kiss, max and Liz stare into each other's eyes. She couldn't take it anymore. Finally she arrived at her house. As she unlocked the front door a small peace of paper caught her eye. She bent down, picked it up, and began to unfold it. She immediately knew what it was even before she started to read it.

Tess - I never trusted you all along and I was right not to. So just stay away from me. Michael, Isabel, and I were given two choices the day you showed up: find out more about our pasts and where we came from, or be with the ones we love. We all chose love. Oh and I don't think we should be friends either. Not because it would be hard on me seeing you and knowing you aren't my girlfriend, but because I never want to have to look at you again.

-Max Evans

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.