FanFic - Max/Liz
"Lost and Found"
"Lost"
Part 15
by Emma Whitfield
Disclaimer: I do not intend to infringe on any of the people truly involved in the production of Roswell, the TV series and the books. I am neither affiliated with the WB or Melinda Metz, but I am a crazed fan who needs to write pretend stories to keep from going mad during the week. For this story, the only things I own are the characters Audra Cristiensen, James Conway, Anna Lisa Evans, and Ben Thomas.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Some of the things I have in here all have a purpose. In other words, if there is something you think I should have explained, there is a very valid reason why I have chosen not to include it, or done the opposite of what you may think should happen. Anyway, you’ll understand more as this story comes along. For once, I actually know how this story will play out, and will end. So, the time it takes for me to get this done will be relatively short -- I just need the time to actually type it up. Also, I understand the season finale has aired, so my advice to you is to forget the past two months of episodes. I know it will be hard. But otherwise, many of the points discussed in this fic will not make sense. I just have a second comment. Have you noticed that my rambling at the top always manages to be a fic in itself? If you have read up until this far, you deserve my commendation. In fact, I bestow upon on you an Emma star. Alright, alright. I can take a hint. I’m done. :)
Max awoke with a splitting headache. How long had he been here? A deep rumble in his stomach reminded him he hadn’t eaten in a while. Were they going to feed him? What were they ever going to do to him? Were they going to test him? Prod him?

Kill him?

As carefully as he could, Max stood up. He moved to each glass wall, trying to find Liz again.

Liz. She had been there. Max had never felt more relieved than to see her again. Granted, he hadn’t really seen her. But he felt her presence. And that gave him more encouragement more than anything.

What exactly had happened to her that day? How was she tied to James? Had he known where she was the entire time? Had he never been an investigator of any sort, and simply had kidnapped her himself? Had he done anything to her? To hurt her?

Max’s mind swarmed with questions, when the shriek of a child in pain shattered his ears.

*****

Audra sat against the wall, her head leaning slightly to side, propped against the hard steel beneath her head. Max had been removed from the next room. She hadn’t been able to see him. To FEEL him.

Now she was REALLY all alone.

Audra was becoming increasingly nervous. Were the people watching her right now, as she sat forlornly in her cell? She couldn’t remember much, but she knew she had been knocked out by some drug at least once. Had they done it before? What had they done to her when she was unconscious?

Were they the reason she didn’t remember her life past a few years before?

Had they created her entire life for her? What could possess them to do that? What had she ever done to them?

Audra sighed. She was really hungry. And she didn’t know if it was day or night. It wasn’t like it mattered. It really didn’t. If she could only find a way out…

Audra’s thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a faint cry.

*****

“Daddy!”

Max heard the cries from a nearby room. Every tear shed pierced his heart, killing him slowly.

They were making Anna cry. They were making his precious, beautiful, sweet daughter, cry.

“Daddy!” she called through her wails.

Max had never felt so hopeless in his life. There was NOTHING he could do. They had taken care to see that he couldn’t do anything. He felt so powerless and weak. What kind of father was he, to let his only daughter be tortured?

“Daddy!”

Max winced. He wanted to cry. Listening to her plea to him was becoming increasingly unbearable.

“Stop it,” he said in a low voice. “Please. Stop hurting her. She’s just a child. She didn’t do anything wrong. Do whatever you want to me. Just don’t hurt her. Please, just leave her alone.” Max hated to beg. But if that was what he had to do to save Anna Lisa, then he would do it.

“Do you realize, Mr. Evans,” a voice sniveled from above. “That your child is the ONLY one of her kind in this entire planet? Did you know that? She’s *special,* ” the voice spat out, sarcastically emphasizing the word “special.” Who was this man? And where were these people? WHY were they doing this to him, to his family?

“What could you possibly get from a baby girl?” Max cut in.

“Don’t interrupt me again, Mr. Evans. If you have any value at all for your child’s life, you’ll shut up and listen to me.”

Max sealed his mouth tight.

“Thank you. As I was saying, we’re not doing anything, really. We’re just *borrowing* her services. Do you have any questions?”

“Why do you need her? And why are you doing this now?”

The voice grew angry. “Mr. Evans, you don’t seem to be understanding. She’s an alien-human breed. Now, you might think that most of these kind of babies should be retarded in their alien powers. But, from our own lab tests, we have deduced that a small percentage of possible alien-human births result in a super-intelligence. These few are even more intelligent and more powerful than the alien parent. Anna Lisa just happens to be one of those. And why we waited so long -- we had technical difficulties. My most heartfelt apologies,” the man ended sarcastically.

Max wanted to kick himself. His poor innocent baby girl was in the hands of these malicious people. And not only couldn’t Max help her, he didn’t even know who they were, why they were here, or anything that could help him get everyone out.

Amidst the fury he felt about Anna Lisa’s abandonment, Max kept in mind Isabel. If they had taken Anna, Isabel was sure to follow.

“Is Isabel here too?” Max asked warily.

No answer.

“What are you going to do with us?”

Silence. The crying had ceased.

Max buried his face in his hands. All he wanted to do now was to find Anna Lisa and protect her, give Isabel a comforting hug, and tell Liz how much he loved her. But, he couldn’t do any of those things.

Max still couldn’t understand why these people had taken so long. If they had managed to sever all his ties in so short a period, as well as take his family, they must be a powerful force. And the fact that they had studied aliens before meant that they probably knew more about him then he did himself. But for some reason, Max didn’t believe the organization to be a governmental group. But who were they? Why did they not torture him until now? What was going on right now that had caused them to turn his life upside down?

Part 14 | Index | Part 16
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.