FanFic - Max/Liz
"Reunited"
Part 5
by storyteller
Disclaimer: I do not own the storyline of Roswell or it's characters. Neither do I own the lyrics to "Stranded" by Plumb. I'm just having fun with them!
Summary: When Max learns the truth about what happened between Kyle and Liz, he decides to reunite with Liz and take their relationship to the next level.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Liz folded her laundry, stopping to tuck a few of her shirts in the drawer. The moon shone brightly through her window, and she smiled. She loved the feeling of the velvety moonlight upon her. Liz leaned over and flipped off the light so that she could see the moon more clearly.

Liz set her laundry aside and looked in the mirror. It had been a week since she had last examined her reflection, and Liz noted that she looked very much the same as she had a week ago. There were the faint lines beneath her eyes, and there was the pale skin. Pathetic, she thought soberly. There had been a time when nothing could have come between her and her dreams, and here she was, crumbling to pieces. No, she thought, I’m a fighter, not a quitter. I will get past this.

Liz looked closer, scrutinizing her hair. It was a mess. She picked up her brush and began to comb through her hair, watching the moonlight dance across the dark strands. Liz did not know who she had inherited her ebony hair from; after all, her parents were both fair. She loved her parents dearly but…well, she was different from them. Sometimes she felt as though she was a gypsy orphan who had been left alone on their front steps as a baby. Liz observed the way that her hair glimmered in the light, falling softly upon her shoulder. Raising her brush to her hair again, Liz was startled by the sudden realization that there was somebody standing on her balcony. Liz turned around and saw Max watching her near the window. The expression on his face stole the breath from her lungs. Something had changed.

Max climbed in through the open window and stood there, staring at Liz. He did not move or speak, but gazed at her intently. She could feel herself becoming warm under the heat of his gaze, but she refused to turn away. Liz did not know why he was here, but she understood the pain and love that she saw in his eyes. It was her pain and love, as well. A moment passed between them, and then it was done. Max crossed the room, knelt before her, and wrapped his arms around her waist. He pressed his face against her stomach, and began to cry. Liz hesitated a moment and then put her arms around him, hugging him to her. Relief hit her, and she felt the tears start their course down her cheeks. It was as though a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. He knew. Thank God.

Max didn’t want to move, didn’t want to ever forget the intoxicating feeling of Liz pressed against him, his arms enveloping her tiny waist. He never wanted to leave this place. He wanted to stay with Liz, their souls two halves of a whole, their bodies forming a solid unit against the rest of the world. Max knew, with a certainty he had never felt before, that he could never let Liz Parker go. He could not imagine a life without her. It was useless to try to fight what was between them. They belonged together. Nothing would ever change that.

Max wrapped his arms around Liz more firmly, holding her tightly to him. She clung to him as though her life depended on it. She could hardly believe what had transpired. The nightmare of separation was over; Max had come back. Liz didn’t want to speak, for fear that this moment would just vanish, like a broken silence. The feeling of Max’s arms surrounding her, her hands in his hair, his tear-stained cheek against her midriff…it was almost more than Liz could bear. She could feel their love growing stronger, so strong that at this moment it was almost a tangible thing. Liz did not know what she would do about the Tess situation, but surely she and Max would think of something. She could not let him go.

Max turned his face towards Liz and kissed her stomach reverently, reveling in the sensation of her skin against his lips. His breath brushed past her belly, and he felt her shiver in his arms. Max looked up at Liz, and was overcome by her gentle beauty. He rose from his knees and stood beside her, gazing into her solemn brown eyes. Liz smiled shyly and looked down, embarrassed for her tears. Max brought his hand to her cheek, wiping her tears away with his thumb. He took his time, gently tracing her cheekbone with his fingertip. Liz lifted her eyes to his, and Max felt a strange stirring within him. He did not know how it was that Liz affected him the way she did, but he did have the will to fight it anymore. He needed her by his side, always.

Max put his hands on Liz’s face and lifted her chin towards his. His lips grazed hers softly, and he could feel the tingling in his toes. It was crazy what she did to him, how completely she unmade him with a single kiss. He kissed her again, cradling her body against his. He felt her arms move up and around his neck, pulling him in closer. It had been too long since Max had touched her. He grew more insistent, wanting to taste all of her at once. He kissed her lips, her cheeks, her temples, her hair. Liz drew Max to her, tilting her head back to allow him access to her mouth. Max kissed her deeply, tenderly, wanting to make up for every lost moment in a solitary embrace. She responded, arching her back to be closer to him. Liz played with the hair at the base of his neck, kissing his lower lip softly. Max wanted to feel everything all at once, to explore every inch of her. But it was too soon. He would have to wait.

Max’s hands moved slowly over her sides, coming to rest at her waist. He wrapped his arms around her and held her to him, nestling her head against his shoulder. The two of them took a moment to compose themselves, breathing deeply as they rested against each other.

“I missed you,” Max said tenderly, kissing Liz’s forehead. Liz tightened her embrace, hugging Max to her intimately. She closed her eyes, praying that this would not be the last time that she would hold Max in her arms. She hoped that she and Max had already sacrificed enough, that perhaps fate would be satisfied and leave them alone for a while. She could not lose him now.

“I missed you, too,” she whispered, holding him close.

* * * * * * * * *

They lay together on her bed, holding each other with a certainty they had not felt before. Liz’s head rested on Max’s chest, his arm around her, her hair cascading over his shoulder. Her parents were out of town, and she was grateful for the opportunity to be with Max without having to answer her parents’ questioning looks. To have the chance to touch him, kiss him, feel him against her…it was almost more than she had hoped for. No matter how she tried to stay away, she knew that Max was her center. It was his spirit that kept drawing her back again, back to their love, back to the connection that they shared. She was home wherever he was.

Max smoothed Liz’s hair away from her face and kissed her forehead gently. She felt so small beside him; he tightened his arms around her, wanting to protect her, to keep her safe. It amazed him that this tiny woman could have such a strong hold upon his heart. Sometimes he forgot how delicate she really was. Thinking of it now gave him a moment’s pause. What she had said to him those many months ago was true. As long as she was with him, her life would be dangerous. And she did not have any powers that she could call upon to protect herself. If his enemies wanted to use her to get to him, she would be easy prey. The mere thought scared Max to death; he involuntarily shuddered and pulled her to him. Max heard Liz groan, and turned to look at her.

“Max,” Liz said lightly. “You’re crushing me.”

He released his grip on her, positioning his arms around her more comfortably. “Sorry,” he replied.

“It’s OK,” she said, removing herself from his arms so that she could sit up and look at him. She reached over and caressed his cheek tenderly. Max took her hand, brought it to his lips, and kissed her fingers gently. Liz sighed.

“We need to talk,” she said softly, her eyes traveling over Max’s face. He nodded and looked down, still holding her hand in his.

“I know.”

“This thing with Tess,” Liz began, watching Max uncertainly. “It’s important.”

“I know,” he repeated, observing her steadily. “I’ll take care of it.”

“What do you plan to do?” she asked. “Tess is crucial to your survival, Max. You won’t make it without her.”

Max sat up, eyeing Liz carefully. “What exactly did he…the future version of me…what did he tell you, Liz?”

Liz swallowed. Remembering that day was painful for her. “Each of you has special powers, Max, powers that the other three don’t have. Together, you form a complete unit. If one of you falls…if one link breaks, it weakens the whole chain. That’s why your mother sent the four of you, to protect each other. That’s why you belong with Tess,” Liz finished, looking to Max helplessly.

“And you’ve known this since the day…since the day I sang to you?” he asked. She nodded.

“Liz, why didn’t you just come to me in the beginning?” he asked. “You could have told me. You could have told me everything.”

Liz bit her lip, feeling the tears start to well up again. “I wanted to, but he…he told me that people were dying…Michael, and Isabel…I just, I couldn’t do that to you,” Liz sighed, troubled in her soul. “I couldn’t stand in the way of everything. I couldn’t stand by and watch people get killed just because you allowed me to be a part of your life.”

Max put his hands on Liz’s shoulders. “Liz, you are my life,” he said, looking into her face earnestly. “Do you understand? I love you. I don’t ever want you to feel that there’s something you can’t tell me. Whatever it is, whatever comes up, we’ll deal with it. I just need you to be honest with me. We have to believe in each other, and have faith that we can make it through this.”

“What about Tess?” Liz said quietly.

Max ran his hand through his hair. “She believes in our mission, Liz. She knows that our responsibility to our planet comes before our personal issues. Tess has a duty to do, and she’ll do it. She just needs someone to put it in perspective for her.”

Without warning, Liz began to cry. Max was stunned. He took her hands in his. “Liz, what is it?” he asked, willing her to look at him. “Tell me.”

Liz tried to compose herself, wiping the tears from beneath her eyes. She took a deep breath. “I’m sorry. It’s just…I love you, Max, but I’m not good for you. We’re not supposed to be together. We keep trying to find a way, trying to ignore everything around us, but it’s no use. No matter what we feel, no matter where we go, it’s always gonna be there…this barrier between us.” Liz looked down, evading Max’s gaze. She would never get through this if she made eye contact with him. “You deserve someone who knows what you’re going through, someone who can help you get home again. You can’t do what you need to do if you’re worried about keeping me safe. I will only end up dragging you down. You have a responsibility to your people, Max. I won’t let you give up everything just for me.”

Max knew that Liz had said these things to discourage him, but her words had the opposite effect of the one she intended. It was at this moment, when everything seemed stacked against them, that Max realized he had never needed anyone as much as he needed Liz Parker. All of his hopes and dreams for the future were wrapped up in this woman, who was not even supposed to be part of his life. But whatever had been planned for him, whatever his destiny was, everything had been irrevocably changed the minute that he placed his hand upon Liz and healed her. Max could not alter the future, but neither could he change the way he felt inside. He needed her council, her wisdom, her love. He knew it was selfish to ask her do this, to enter this life that was sure to be fraught with danger and chaos, but he had no choice. He couldn’t help himself. He needed her in his life.

Max had been thinking something from the moment he’d seen Liz through her window, but now the thought crystallized in his mind and would not leave him alone. He saw it more clearly than he had ever seen anything in his entire life. There was no logical explanation, but he was finished trying to find a reason to explain him and Liz. It was something that he felt in his heart. It was the right thing to do. Max stood next to the bed and offered his hand to her. “Liz,” he said gently, “take my hand.” Liz put her hand in his, and Max pulled her to her feet. She came and stood beside him, observing the love she saw shining in his dark eyes. Max took her hand and pressed it against his chest. She could feel his heart beating, and it made her shiver. How would she ever tear herself away from someone she loved so much?

“Can you feel what you do to me?” he said huskily, his eyes drifting over her face. Liz looked up at him, meeting his dusky gaze. “You make me crazy,” he continued. “I can’t think, I can’t breathe without you.”

“Max—“

“No,” Max said. “Listen. I know that you think we shouldn’t be together, but you’re wrong. You help me. You make me a better leader, a better person. And I…I don’t care what anyone else thinks. You belong to me, and I belong to you. We are one soul, Liz.” She bit her lower lip, trying to suppress the smile that was forming on her tear-streaked face. She couldn’t help it. His words were like sunshine upon her heart.

“I just…I can’t do this without you,” Max continued, encouraged by the happiness he saw in her eyes. “We’re stronger together than we are apart. I’m not saying it’s going to be easy. It’s going to be really hard. But, I can’t…I can’t ever risk losing you again. That’s why…that’s why I’m asking you to marry me.”

Liz’s mouth dropped open, and she looked at Max in wide-eyed disbelief. “Max, are you insane?” Liz said. “This is crazy. It doesn’t make any sense.”

“I know,” he said simply, tears coming to his eyes. “That’s how I know it’s the right thing to do.”

Liz sighed, watching Max solemnly. “What about our parents, Max? What about Michael and Isabel…and Tess, and—“

“Forget them,” he interrupted, putting his hands on her arms. “Forget everything else except you and me.” Max hesitated a moment, allowing Liz to block out every other part of their frenzied existence. “Do you love me?” he asked, taking her hands in his own.

Liz looked at him, a tear sliding down her cheek. The very sight of him made her ache inside. “With all my heart,” she replied.

“Then marry me,” he said. “Marry me tomorrow.” Max knew he was being rash. There were so many things that she deserved, so many things that he should do before he proposed to her. He should have asked for her father’s consent, he should have given her a ring. But Max had been cautious all of his life, and he could not be sensible any longer. He could not be without her.

As Max kneeled down before her, Liz started to lose it. She tried to stifle a cry as the tears flowed down her cheeks. Was this really happening? It seemed that every dream she had been harboring for the past two years was becoming reality before her very eyes.

“Liz Parker,” he said, “would you be my wife?”

Liz looked down at the man who would soon become her husband. She did not pretend to know why it was that this leader, this king, had chosen her to share his life with. Liz did not understand what twist of fate was now allowing her a way to be with him. She only knew that he was a part of her, and that she loved him with all her mind and soul. They had each other. Nothing else mattered.

“Yes,” she said, laughing at the happiness that she felt and saw reflected on Max’s face. He rose from his knees and kissed her, wrapping his arms around her, relieved.

“Nothing will ever come between us again,” he said, holding her to him.

Part 4 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.