FanFic - Max/Liz
"It Was Supposed to Be You"
Part 10
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story is based upon the idea that Max knew Liz in his previous life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: For those of you who read this on message boards as I was writing it. I have changed the names of the podsters in their past lives to match the names we learned during Meet the Dupes. I've also changed past life events to match up better with what we know. The rest of this story is post “The End of the World” only I’m not going to deal with Michael discovering Courtney being a Skin. I’m going to focus on Max and Liz.
Max walked into the Crashdown. It was pretty full. The dinner rush was starting. He glanced around the restaurant but didn't see Maria. He looked at his watch, which read 5:10pm. Maria was probably around somewhere. Stephanie was waiting on a table near the entrance. He smiled at her when she looked up to see who had come in the door. He nodded in the direction of an empty booth and she returned his smile and nodded before turning back to her customers. Max walked over to the booth and slid into it, reaching for a menu. He hadn't eaten since lunch yesterday and he was starving. Max glanced at the menu even though he had it memorized and he knew exactly what he wanted. He didn't see Liz working, but she could be in the back. He didn't want to chance seeing her, not yet. He knew he would have to see her sooner or later, but he could put it off as long as possible.

Max read through the alien theme entrees on the Crashdown menu and laughed lightly. It was kind of ironic that an alien's favorite restaurant would have an alien theme. The Crashdown was definitely Max's hang out. Not only did his friends work here, but it was also across the street from where he worked so he came here on breaks. He usually came in here at least 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes to eat, sometimes just to study, always to see Liz. Of course, he hadn't been here in almost a week, not since he saw Liz with Kyle. He didn't want to chance seeing them together.

Even before Max healed Liz last year, he had been a regular at the Crashdown. He used to tell Michael that he thought the food was good and it was only fitting that aliens go to an alien theme restaurant, but the truth was that the service is what kept him coming back, not the food. He would always try to sit in Liz's station so she would wait on them. Max had had a crush on Liz Parker, almost from the first moment he saw her. He was getting off the bus with Isabel for their first day of school in Roswell and there Liz was, playing in the schoolyard. His eyes were drawn to her immediately. There was something special about her and he saw it immediately. When Max was paired with Liz for biology lab last year, it was like a dream come true for him. He finally had a legitimate opportunity to talk to her. They had been acquaintances for years, but never really friends. Of course, he and Liz only talked biology in lab and hardly talked at all outside of lab, but for him that was enough. He had a secret that kept him from getting close to her or anyone, so it had to be enough.

But everything changed the day Liz was shot here in the Crashdown. He couldn't let her die, not his Liz. It didn't matter what happened to him, he had no thought of himself or anyone else when Liz was shot. All he thought about was her. She wouldn't die, not when it was within his power to save her. The day he saved her was the day his life really began. Before Liz knew the truth, Max felt like he was going through the motions of living, without really living. After he saved Liz, Max was forced to tell her everything, and after he did, he felt really alive for the first time in his life. It was amazing to finally tell someone, to finally let someone in, to let Liz in. He knew in his heart he could trust her. There was just something about her, something very special. Something he couldn't explain to Isabel or Michael, because he didn't understand it himself.

But once Liz knew the truth, everything changed. Healing her also set up a sequence of events which would forever change him and the world he lived in. He didn't regret saving her, not even for an instant. He knew Liz wasn't meant to die that day. He knew that in his heart. But he wished things were different. He wished he could be with Liz and that he had never learned his destiny. Of course none of that could be changed. His life was beyond his control. His destiny is what drove Liz away for the summer, and it's probably what drove her to Kyle. But none of that matters now. Liz’s has made her choice and his choice was made for him over 50 years ago.

"Max, are you ready to order?"

Max looked up to see Liz standing by his table. Her order book was in her left hand and a pencil in her right, ready to write down his order. Her hair was pulled back loosely in a ponytail with wisps of hair falling into her face. It took a minute for Max to realize what was going on. He was just thinking about Liz and then all of a sudden here she was right in front of him.

“Are you okay?” Liz asked after Max didn’t answer.

“Y-Yeah,” Max stuttered then made himself look down at his menu. He felt like he was staring at Liz. “Could I get a Will Smith burger and a cherry coke with lime?”

“Sure,” Liz said and scratched it into her order book. She hesitated before leaving and Max could feel her staring at him, but he couldn’t look up at her. “Max,” Liz said finally, “is everything alright? I was worried about you. You missed a test yesterday and then you weren’t in school at all today.”

Max finally looked up. His gazed was immediately drawn to her eyes, her beautiful eyes. He could easily loose himself in those eyes. “I’m fine,” Max said finally, “I just…I haven’t been sleeping much.”

Liz nodded slightly. “Max,” Liz started, but stopped, obviously unsure what to say. “I’m sorry about yesterday. I don’t know what to say...I’m just sorry.” Liz turned quickly and walked away. Max watched her leave. He wished he could understand what was going through her mind.

“Well, if isn’t Mr. Evans.”

Max turned to see Maria glaring at him. “Hey Maria,” Max said lightly.

Maria slid into the booth across from him. “So explain.”

“Explain what?” Max said pretending he was confused even though he knew exactly what she wanted to know.

Maria glared at him. Max sighed. “I’m sorry,” Max said finally. “I saw Liz minutes after I talked to you and the conversation didn’t go so well so I just had to leave.”

Maria’s expression softened for an instant and then she glared at him again. “What’s going on Max? Liz won’t talk to me, you won’t talk to me, and today I heard a rumor that Liz slept with Kyle.”

Max felt his breath catch in his throat. There was a rumor in school about Liz and Kyle. Could it get any worse?

“Max?” Maria reached over and grabbed his arm. “Talk to me. Please,” Maria pleaded. “Last week you were so determined to get back together with Liz. You were determined to make her see that the two of you could be together. What has happened to change this?”

Max took a deep breath. He didn’t know what to do. Maria was Liz’s best friend. Was it really his place to tell her what happened? Before Max had a chance to say anything, Liz arrived at the table with his cherry coke.

“Hey Maria, you’re working today, right?”

“Not till 6,” Maria said simply letting go of Max’s arm and looking from Liz to Max, obviously trying to make sense of the tension between them.

“Do you want anything?” Liz asked.

“Just a glass of water,” Maria said then turned back to Max as Liz walked away. “You think she slept with Kyle don’t you?” Maria whispered.

“I thought you told my mother you started work at 5:30,” Max said to try to change the subject.

“I lied so I would have a chance to talk to you before my shift started. Now tell me the truth Max,” Maria said giving Max a look which said he better explain or face her wrath.

Max looked down at the table. He reached for his cherry coke and took a sip. He looked up at Maria and saw she was waiting for him to talk. It was no use, Max had to tell her the truth. “I saw them together, Maria. I went up to Liz’s room and I saw Liz and Kyle in bed together.”

“No,” Maria gasped. “There has to be some explanation. If Liz had slept with Kyle, she would have told me and anyway, Liz would never have slept with Kyle. She’s in love with you Max. I don’t believe it.”

Max sighed. If only there could be some explanation. “I know what I saw. There can be no mistake.” After Maria didn’t say anything, Max finally said, “Anyway, she didn’t deny it when I asked her yesterday.”

“Oh, Max,” Maria said, unsure what to say. “I can’t believe it. I don’t doubt what you saw, I just can’t believe Liz would do that.”

“Do what?”

Max and Maria looked up. Liz was standing next to the table, holding a glass of water in her right hand and Max’s food in her left. Her hands were shaking as she looked from Maria to Max. Max closed his eyes. He couldn’t believe this was happening.

“Do what?” Liz asked again deliberately. She was obviously upset.

Max opened his eyes and looked at her. She knew what they were talking about. How could she not know? Did she really want him to say it out loud?

“Never mind,” Liz said finally and placed the water and plate food on the edge table and turned quickly to leave. Before she could go though, Max tried to stand up to stop her, knocking over the plate of food in the process.

Liz turned when she heard the crash and kneeled down to pick up the mess. Max also kneeled down to help, feeling like an idiot for knocking it over in the first place. As Liz reached for the plate, so did Max. When their hands touched Max had a flash of Liz and himself dancing on her balcony rooftop. Only it wasn’t him, it looked like him, only older with longer hair. Max quickly let go of the plate. He had no idea what he just saw, but somehow it seemed important. Liz looked at Max briefly when he let go of the plate and then continued to pick up the mess. Max leaned back against the seat, still crouched down and watched Liz, recalling what he just saw. It didn’t make any sense. That couldn’t be him, but it looked like him, only different.

Maria leaned down to help Liz. “Liz,” she said as they finished cleaning up.

“I can’t talk Maria, I just have to go,” Liz said quietly, and then quickly wiped up the mess. She stood up, not looking at Max and turned toward the back of the restaurant.

Maria watched Liz leave and then turned to Max who was still crouched down leaning up against the seat. “Can you explain to me what just happened?” Maria asked.

Max stood up, trying to figure it out himself. He looked to where Liz had gone, wanting to follow, but afraid to at the same time. What did he see? Max finally looked at Maria. “I gotta go.”

Max turned and started toward the exit. “Max,” Maria called and reached for his arm, making him turn back toward her. “What exactly just happened between you and Liz?”

“Nothing, Maria. Arya made her choice. She obviously doesn’t want to be with me. I really have to get out of here.”

“Max? Who’s Arya?”

Max stopped and stared at Maria. Had he said Arya? Why would he say that name now? Max shook his head and turned to leave. He ignored Maria as she called after him. He had to get away from here. He had to figure things out. So much wasn’t making sense.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.