FanFic - Max/Liz
"It Was Supposed to Be You"
Part 7
by Faile
Disclaimer: Roswell and the characters, and situations are owned by the WB and Melinda Metz. No infringement intended.
Summary: This story is based upon the idea that Max knew Liz in his previous life.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: For those of you who read this on message boards as I was writing it. I have changed the names of the podsters in their past lives to match the names we learned during Meet the Dupes. I've also changed past life events to match up better with what we know. The rest of this story is post “The End of the World” only I’m not going to deal with Michael discovering Courtney being a Skin. I’m going to focus on Max and Liz.
He stumbled down the corridor. Everything around him was on fire and the smoke was beginning to suffocate him. He had to find her. He looked around hoping to see someone who could help him, but there was no one. He fell down hard. When he caught his breath, he looked down at the wound in his side. He could see the strength draining from him. Did his mother and sister get out? Oh God he hoped so. The attack was so sudden, so unexpected. Now he was dying and all he could think about was his beloved. He had to get to Arya.

“Arya,” Max whispered pulling himself out of the trance. "Arya," he said a little louder. Who was Arya? Was that who he was looking for in his memories? Max opened his eyes and looked at the Granolith. It was glowing with energy. It was the first time he ever saw it do that. He looked to his left and saw Tess meditating nearby. He assumed that she was causing the Granolith to glow. He also must have caused it to glow to when he was meditating.

It was possible that Tess was Arya, but Max couldn’t be sure. He would have to ask her when she was done. Max stood up and quietly walked around the Granolith looking at it closely. He wondered if he would ever know what it was intended for. It was obviously connected to him in some way. Max reached out and touched it. It felt cold like glass, but he felt an energy coming from it. An energy that was so familiar, yet so alien to him. After a few seconds, Max reluctantly pulled his hand back. He could easily lose himself in that energy, but he couldn't let that happen, not yet. First, he needed to find out what this was and what it did. The only question was how was he going to do that? Tess said Nasedo never mentioned the Granolith to her. Nasedo had to know about it. But why would he keep it from them?

Suddenly the Granolith stopped glowing. “Max,” Tess said quietly. Max walked around to the other side of the Granolith. Tess was still sitting. She looked to him and smiled. “I remember our wedding day. It was so beautiful, but…”

Max sat down on the floor next to Tess. “What is it?”

Tess frowned. “It was right before we were attacked, Max. I remember being so scared when the attacks started, and then you instructed Rath to take me to the catacombs and I never saw you again.”

“Rath?” Max asked. The name was somehow familiar, but he couldn’t quite place it.

“Your second in command,” Tess explained. “Michael.”

Max nodded. “How is it you have such clear memories?” Max asked, frustrated. “I’ve come here several times, but I never remember anything detailed.”

“I wish I could help you Max, but I don’t know anything more than what Nasedo taught me,” Tess said quietly. "Maybe you are trying too hard. I've been doing this for a few years. You just learned a few days ago."

Max nodded. He knew she wanted to help. He’d grown to trust her more over the last few of days. He felt with time, she could become a good friend, but he didn’t think he could ever love her, not in the way he loved Liz. “I did remember a name this time,” Max started, but stopped himself from continuing. He was afraid that Tess was Arya. He remembered that he loved Arya. It was an intense love that seemed to have no limits, very much like the love he felt for Liz. Max didn’t want to face that he could have loved Tess that way, even in a previous life.

“What is it, Max?” Tess asked probably wishing that it were her name he remembered.

“Arya,” Max said then watched Tess closely. She didn’t have a reaction. She just shrugged and stood up.

“I don’t recognize, but my memories still have a lot of holes,” Tess said and then walked over to the Granolith. She reached out and touched it, and it began to glow like it did earlier. “I remember my name was Avadia,” Tess said slowly. She then removed her hand and looked at it. She must have felt the energy as well. She then turned to Max and continued, “You were called Zan, Isabel was Vilandra, and Michael was, of course, Rath.”

"So you remember our wedding?" Max asked and stood up, hoping to get Tess to reveal more.

Tess nodded. "I was so scared and very young too. I think you were much older than me. You had been King for several years. I remember you were so kind to me. I want to thank you for that."

"I'm sorry I don't remember Tess," Max replied. He did feel bad. Not only because he didn't remember, but because he now knew he didn't love her even in his previous life. There was someone else and her name was Arya. Max had no idea who Arya was and he probably would never know, but he had to find out more about his previous life. He couldn't give up yet. He had to recover his memories, because that was the only way he knew to find out what the Granolith was. It was sent to Earth for a reason and he was obviously responsible for it. He just didn't know why. Besides, concentrating on recovering his memories was also the only thing Max could think of that would keep his mind off Liz.

"It's okay Max, don't worry about it. Maybe with time you'll remember more," Tess said as she walked to where Max was now standing.

Max nodded and asked, "Do you remember anything about the Granolith?"

Tess shook her head no. "I feel a connection to it, but I don't know why." Tess turned back toward the Granolith. "It's obviously important why else would they have sent it here."

Max nodded and stared at the Granolith. He had to find answers and soon. "I better get home. Are you ready?"

Tess nodded and Max led her out of the chamber that housed the Granolith and into the pod chamber. When they got into the pod chamber, Isabel was waiting for them.

"I thought you might be here," Isabel said intently looking at Max. She was obviously upset with Max about something. "Hey Tess."

"Hey?" Tess said hesitantly, looking from Max to Isabel.

"What are you doing here?" Max asked.

"I might ask you the same question. Mom and Dad are worried sick. The school called. You skipped a test Max. That's not like you. And do you realize what time it is?"

"Look, Iz," Max started unsure what to say. Isabel knew what happened between him and Liz, but Tess had no idea and he didn't want Tess to know.

Isabel gave him a look to shut him up and turned to Tess. "Tess, I really need to talk to Max alone," Isabel said. She then reached into her coat pocket and pulled out her keys. "Why don't you drive my car home and I'll get it from you tomorrow."

Tess looked at Isabel's outstretched hand and then to Max. Max nodded indicating it was okay, so Tess grabbed the keys and turned to Max. "Call me if you want to try again."

Max nodded and watched as Tess waved her hand over the device that opened up the door to the outside and left the pod chamber. "So the school called," Max said quietly as the door appeared again.

"Yeah, and Mom is really upset, Max. She's beside herself with worry. You know how she can be."

Max nodded. "I just couldn't go to class. I had to get away."

"Are you going to tell me what happened willingly? Or am I going to have to drag it out of you?"

Max sighed. "I saw Liz."

Isabel's expression softened. "I guess it didn't go the way you were hoping."

Max nodded his head in agreement. He of course had no idea what to expect when he confronted Liz. He knew what he saw. He saw Liz and Kyle in bed together. Neither of them had any clothes on and moments before he saw them, he heard Liz laughing. Could there be any explanation besides the obvious?

"I'm sorry Max," Isabel said finally. Looking at her brother with a worried expression. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Not about Liz," Max started, "You could help me another way though."

"Sure, anything."

"You could let me teach you the memory recovery techniques and help me discover what the Granolith is," Max explained, looking at Isabel. He could see her tense up at the suggestion.

"I can't Max," Isabel said, then turned toward where the entrance of the pod chamber was. "Look, we better get back. If Mom finds out I'm gone too she'll probably call the cops."

Isabel started toward the entrance of the pod chamber, but Max reached out and grabbed her arm to stop her. "Isabel, why are you so against this?"

Isabel pulled her arm away from Max and explained, "I told you, the memories from my previous life have nothing to do with who I am now."

“That doesn’t answer my question Isabel,” Max said looking at his sister as she started pacing in front of him. She always paced when she was upset about something. He just had no idea what she could be upset about. “Isabel, please,” Max said finally. He knew she was hiding something from him.

Isabel stopped pacing and turned to face her brother. “There’s something I need to tell you Max. I should have told you sooner, but I was afraid.”

Max watched as Isabel struggled with the words. “Isabel, you know you can tell me anything. There’s no reason for you to be afraid.”

Isabel nodded and looked down at the ground. When she looked up, Max could see that tears had started forming in her eyes. “I learned something from the Congresswoman on the night that I killed her. Something that scared me,” Isabel started, “and because it scared me, I kept it from you.”

Max waited. He didn’t want to push her.

Isabel looked down again and turned away from her brother. “It scared me, because I’m afraid it might be true.”

“What are talking about Isabel? What might be true?”

Isabel looked up at Max. “She said I betrayed you, you and everyone else on our planet. She said it was my fault that you died. She said she killed Nasedo to protect me because he knew about me.”

“Isabel…” Max couldn’t believe what he was hearing. No, it couldn’t be true.

Isabel looked at her brother and tears started streaming down her cheeks. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner Max. I was just afraid. I still am. I mean, what if it’s true? What if I really betrayed you?”

Max walked toward his sister and took her into his arms. He hated that she had been keeping this inside for so long. It didn’t matter what she did in her previous life. “Isabel, it’s okay. It will be okay.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I was just…”

“It’s okay, Isabel. It doesn’t even matter,” Max said pulling away from Isabel slightly so he can look at her. “You were right when you said that the memories from our previous lives have nothing to do with who we are now. It doesn’t matter what happened then. I know you would never betray me. I know that in my heart.”

Isabel smiled through her tears. “It was silly not to tell you.”

Max smiled. “Yeah, it was.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I understand. Our lives are complicated. I’m afraid to learn who I used to be too,” Max said, not sure if he should mention what he learned only a few moments earlier. “The only reason I’m doing it is because I feel so lost right now.” Max stepped away from Isabel and walked over to the pods, which were hanging on the wall. “We know so little about why we are here and what we should be doing. I thought if I recovered some of my memories, I would begin to figure things out. I can’t stand just sitting and waiting for something else to happen.”

“And it’s helping you keep you mind off Liz,” Isabel concluded.

Max turned to Isabel and nodded. “Look, we better get home. I’ll talk to Mom and Dad in the morning and fix everything.”

Isabel nodded in agreement and started walking toward the door of the pod chamber. She stopped just before waving her hand over the device that opened the door and turned back to Max. “By the way, Maria called earlier,” Isabel started and then started to smile. “She was ranting about the eraser room and that she was going to kill you. The girl needs to take Prozac or something.”

Max laughed slightly, but the laughter didn’t reach his eyes. He then followed Isabel out of the pod chamber trying unsuccessfully not to think of whom he was supposed to meet in the eraser room earlier.

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.