FanFic - Max/Liz
"Epiphanies 2: The Anasazi Road"
Part 6
by Carol
Disclaimer: I would be the happiest woman on Earth if I owned any of these people, but sadly, only Josh, the Holbrooks, and Paul Hernandez are mine.
Summary: This is the sequel to EPIPHANIES 1: The Ties That Bind. It picks up the evening of the Evans barbeque that ended the first story. Here, Max and Liz must come to terms with a shocking revelation about Liz and her Grandma Claudia. They search the past among Native American ruins and history to find the truth and each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I have done extensive research on the Anasazi for this fic. Most of what you will read is either factual or widely accepted speculation. I have, on occasion, filled in a gap or made an assumption that suits my purposes. The alien connection, of course, is my own Roswell-loving imagination.
"Liz, it's the symbol from the cave and the pendant! What do they say the symbol means?"

"They aren't really sure. They think it might be linked to the passage of time or a ritual calendar based on the sun and solstices. They're just guessing, though. Max, what if your people were there, even back 800 years!"

"Let's copy some of these pages and get out of here. I need some air," suggested Max. They selected some pictures and historical timelines to copy and thanked the librarian.

Max drove out on the old highway, his mind spinning with the possibilities connected with that symbol's existence 800 years ago. He pulled up under some trees, killed the engine, and sighed. Liz touched his arm lightly.

"We'll figure this out, Max. Remember, we have help."

He turned toward Liz. "Liz, we don't know where this will lead. Are you sure you want to go through with this? We may learn things we didn't want to know. Sometimes I can't believe I've gotten you into all this."

"Don't sell me short, Max," Liz warned. Then she brightened. "Let's make a pact. You quit asking me if I'm sure about seeing this through with you, and I'll make sure you're "at peace" whenever possible. Deal?"

Max gave her one of his half-smiles. "That's a deal."

"Well, then, we'd better head back. We've got to pack up our stuff. You know, we're leaving around 4:00 a.m."

"Terrific," groaned Max, and they headed back to the Crashdown.

***************

As Liz hopped out of the Jeep, she came around to give Max a kiss. At first, she leaned in to kiss him gently, but as soon as Max responded, they found themselves clinging to each other. They were about to embark on a journey to the unknown, literally, and all they were sure of was each other. Their kiss turned urgent and Max turned in his seat to pull Liz closer.

"Liz!" yelled Jeff Parker from the restaurant doorway. Max and Liz jumped apart, breathing heavily and embarrassed by Mr. Parker's unceremonious interruption. "Kids, sorry to break up the fun." He looked at Max pointedly, causing Max to turn a vibrant shade of pink. Liz bit her lip to keep from giggling. "But we need to get our plan straight. I've talked to your dad, Max, and since we are leaving so early, we thought it would be easier for you to bunk here tonight. In the guest room." Another pointed look. "That way, we won't disturb so many people getting out in the morning. That okay with you?"

"Uh, sure, Mr. Parker. I'll just go pack up my gear and be back later."

"Good. See you then. Liz, let's go." He steered Liz toward the door. She turned and gave Max a small wave. Dads are so unsubtle, she thought.

*****************

Late that night, Max heard someone open the door to the Parker's guest room. He pretended to be asleep. He didn't want to talk to either of Liz's parents right now. He'd been thinking of Liz and since he couldn't have the real thing, at the very least he didn't want his daydreaming disturbed.

"Max," came Liz's whisper.

"Liz!" came Max's stage-whispered retort. "Are you crazy? Get out of here! Do you want to get busted for good?"

"My folks are sound asleep, and this room is as far from theirs as you can get on this floor. I just wanted to spend a little time alone with you before I tried to sleep. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time." Liz lifted the corner of Max's covers and slid in easily, cuddling up to Max as closely as she could.

Having Liz in his arms was always salve for Max's soul. The way she felt, the way she smelled, the way he could feel the love radiate off of her. She was perfect. Perfect for him, at least, and holding her truly did give his soul peace. It had quite a different effect on his body, however. There was nothing peaceful about the way his body reacted to her closeness. He pulled her tightly to him and searched for her mouth. She opened it to him immediately, and he eagerly entered, tasting her, exploring her, losing himself in her. Soon his hands began to explore, sliding up under her short-cropped PJs to stroke the milky smooth skin underneath. He pressed her to him, letting his hips move against hers.

Liz was receptive to his every touch. She moved against him, bringing her hands up between them to lift his t-shirt and caress his powerful chest.

"God, Liz. I love you so much! This is heaven and hell all at once."

"This is not hell. Trust me," Liz breathed in his ear.

"It is when I have to send you away. Which I do." He pushed her firmly from him, a harsh growl escaping his lips.

"Why must you always push me away?" complained Liz. "This is what we want. What we need. I wish you would accept it."

"We've had this conversation before, Liz. Don't do this to me." His eyes and voice were pleading with her now. "One of these times, I won't be able to stop and I will hate myself for the rest of my life if it turns out badly. This will happen when I know you are safe." He kissed her gently. "There's no way we will just sleep together tonight. Besides, this is your parents' house and I think we've created enough distraction to discourage your grandmother from coming, so you'd better get back to your room."

"You're frustrating me, Evans. You know that, don't you?"

"I define frustration, Parker. You'll find no sympathy here."

Liz pouted as she moved reluctantly out of the room. "You'll be sorry, Max Evans."

He grimaced. "I already am."

**************** Over the course of the nine-hour drive from Roswell to Chaco Canyon, they speculated about what could be in this will that included Max and Liz. The two teens avoided any mention of the Anasazi, knowing that Liz's dad had no reason to think there was a link with the ancient tribe. However, he looked uncomfortable, anxious, and he found it hard to act natural around Max. He wished they could have made this trip without him. There were some things that were just meant for family.

They took two-hour shifts driving. As they crossed from Roswell, in the southeastern part of New Mexico, and proceeded toward Chaco Canyon in the northwestern part of the state, the topography changed from flat to rolling. However, it was still a desert environment, with few trees and plenty of rock. It didn't look like a place where a relatively advanced and sophisticated culture had thrived.

It was Liz who was at the wheel as they pulled up in front of Greg Austin's law office. "Max, Dad, we're here." Liz nudged the two sleeping men, her dad snoozing against the passenger window, Max sprawled on the back seat. As they awoke, Mr. Austin emerged from his office to greet them.

"Right on time. Come on in!" He showed them into a modest but beautifully appointed office with leather furniture, plush carpeting, and tasteful artwork. They moved through the waiting area to his private office. Bookshelves lined the walls and green plants gave it a feeling of warmth. It was the quintessential office for a successful lawyer.

Jeff introduced Liz and Max and noticed Greg studying both of them.

"I must apologize again, Jeff. I can't understand how I could forget about a thing like this. I swear, when that law student brought me this file and asked why a sealed document was still in it, I felt like a damn fool."

He offered them seats and drinks, and then began. "Claudia Parker was one of the most interesting women I've ever known. There wasn't a time when she wasn't tackling some new adventure or excited about a new find. She was always grabbing life by the tail. You must have had an interesting childhood, Jeff," laughed Mr. Austin.

Jeff Parker was looking pale.

"Are you okay, Dad?"

"Sure, sure. I'm fine. Just tired from the drive. Could we just read the codicil?"

"Well, of course," apologized Mr. Austin. "Let's get to it."

Greg Austin began to read and the three faces in front of him turned from curious to amazed and confused. They left the office somewhat dazed.

"I don't understand," muttered Jeff. "She leaves the contents of a safe-deposit box to Liz, and the key to the box to Max? I just don't understand."

Liz and Max held hands tightly as they climbed into the back seat together. Jeff Parker didn't even notice. He prayed that they weren't going to find in that box what he feared might be hidden there.

Part 5 | Index | Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.