FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Fugitive"
Part 4
by Karen
Disclaimer: None of it is mine.
Summary: Max commits a crime, he and Michael go into hiding, the others plot to clear Max.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Authors Note: Feedback is appreciated, just don't flame me for letting Tess do a good deed - she's still creepy and not to be trusted.
Alex stared in disbelief into the darkness of the cave. He hadn't understood the impact of it all until he'd heard the details. Now he understood why Max looked so devastated - he'd killed someone. With his bare hands. Finally Alex drew in a deep breath.

"Okay, so now I have the facts," he started. "Let's look at this from a standpoint of evidence." He looked at Michael. "What do they have?"

Michael thought for a minute. "The gun, the tape from the security camera, the handprint on the gunman's chest, Max's fingerprints all over the place."

"Okay. Witnesses?"

"Only Liz," Max confirmed sadly. It hurt him more than the other two could imagine knowing that Liz had seen him commit such a horrible act.

"She's not going to tell them anything," Alex said in reassurance. He thought he understood the pain Max was going through over Liz. And the uncertainty. Even if he could get out of this, would Liz ever trust him again? "So, they have a gun, the tape, a handprint, and some fingerprints." Alex put his hands together, matching fingertip to fingertip and flexing his fingers. He could feel Max and Michael looking at him. "Okay, we'll do the easy ones first. The handprint on Liz's stomach faded after a while, right?"

Max nodded. "Yeah, but I'm sure they took pictures during the autopsy."

"Okay, so the handprint fades, but now we have pictures. So, we really have pictures, a gun, a tape and fingerprints."

Alex's slow calculation was staring to wear on Michael's patience. He couldn't tell what Alex was getting at so he wished he'd just hurry up.

Finally Alex stopped flexing his fingers. "What if there were no pictures or a gun or tape?"

"Huh?" Michael said. "All of those things really exist, Alex."

"I know, but just hear me out. What if they didn't exist? What does that leave you with?"

"Fingerprints," Max answered.

"And what does that prove? That Max was in the carryout that day? That's all circumstantial, gentlemen." Alex smiled. "Can't build a case on that."

Michael almost smiled, then realized the catch. "How are you going to make all of that stuff disappear?"

Alex shrugged. "Steal it, probably."

"Oh, what - you're just going to walk into the evidence vault and take it? They guard that stuff, you know. It's not like you can just go pick up whatever evidence you'd like to destroy."

Alex sipped from the bottle of water he'd been holding. "Oh, no. Not me, a mere human. But there is somebody that could do it and get away with it...."

Max stiffened. "Alex, not Tess."

Michael glanced quickly at Max at the mention of her name.

"Why not?" Alex asked. "She can do that mind-manipulation thing and walk right past everyone. She's the best bet."

"Alex, I'm the last person she'd want to help."

"How do you know? Maybe she wants a chance to set things right. She's not evil, Max. Just misguided."

Max thought about the implications of asking Tess for help. What would Liz think? Would this be yet another wedge to be driven between them? Liz couldn't help but Tess could. How would that make her feel?

"What's the harm in asking?" Alex questioned both of them. "It's not like she's going to go running to the police if I tell her the details - she doesn't want to draw attention to herself either. She either says yes or no. Period."

Max exchanged a long look with Michael. There was no doubt that Michael wanted to try it. Max felt that familiar pressure in his head, and finally relented. If Isabel wanted in, he'd let her in this time. While she was in there, he'd ask her opinion.

He was nearly bowled over by her relief in finally being able to contact him. Just by connecting, she knew where they were, that Alex had found them safely, what had really happened. Then Max got a rush of typical Isabel anger because she'd been blocked out and worrying for so many days. He sent her an apology, which she eventually accepted. He asked her about Tess. Max could feel her confusion, then she settled on a decision - he should do whatever it took to get him home.

Max blinked as Isabel left his subconscious. Only a few seconds had passed. "Isabel's coming," he said to Michael. "Let her in." He turned to Alex while Michael zoned into his connection with Isabel. "Isabel agrees we should include Tess."

Alex looked dumbfounded.

"Sorry. Isabel can connect with us telepathically. You know, kind of like dream walking, but she can do it to us when we are awake."

"Oh, right. I forgot about that." Alex felt a pang because he knew he couldn't communicate with her that way. "So she agrees with me?"

"Yeah, she does," Michael said as he broke free of his and Isabel's connection. "In fact, she is on her way over there to see Tess right now. Is thought maybe she could ask her since they are still on speaking terms."

"Good idea," Alex agreed. He glanced at his watch. "I should be going before my parents file me as missing." He stood and accepted Max's hand when he offered it.

"Thank you for everything, Alex," Max said.

Alex clapped him on the back. "Don't give up on her, man," he replied, referring of course to Liz. "She's just a little spooked. You've gotta give her that for a while."

Max nodded his understanding. Michael extended his hand and thanked Alex as well.

"Be careful," Michael warned. "And stay away from my woman."

Alex shook his head and laughed as he slung his backpack over his shoulder and left the cave.

____________________________________________________________________

Tess heard Isabel out. She sat with her arms crossed over her chest and a blank expression on her face. Isabel tried to not act too desperate, which of course she was.

"Okay," Tess said finally. "I'll do it."

"You will?" Isabel asked, her excitement showing.

"Yes, of course." Tess paused, studying her friend. "I never meant for any of that other stuff to happen, Isabel. I don't want to hurt Max, or Liz, or any of you."

"I know."

"Okay, then let's go."

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.