FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Return"
Part 2
by Anunaki
Disclaimer: I did not create or own any part of Roswell.
Summary: Sequel to August and Everything After. Five years later the aliens return to pick up the pieces.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: I would welcome critique or commentary.
Liz was glad that the lab today had been rather complicated. Organizing the equipment and answering all the students questions had kept her mind occupied so that she didn't have time to think too much about Max's reappearance. But it also made the afternoon go quick and before she knew it the last of her students were walking out the door. She looked at the clock. It was already 5:15.

She hurried over to the diner. She waded through the dinnertime crowd of college students, searching the tables for Max. She was beginning to think that she was probably too late and Max had returned to whatever ends of the universe he had come from when she spotted him sitting in booth in a less occupied area of the restaurant. She suddenly felt nervous and nauseous. She almost turned around and ran out of the diner, but just then Max looked up and waved her over.

"Hey, I'm glad your here. I was afraid that you might not show up." Liz just smiled at him weakly as she slipped into the seat across from him. "I already ordered. Just some burgers and fries. I hope you don't mind, I was pretty hungry. If you want something else I can go get the waitress."

"No, that's okay, I'm not really hungry."

Max looked thoughtfully at his half eaten burger. "It's been so long since I've had normal human food, I'd almost forgotten how good it is. The last time I had a burger was at the Crashdown. " He looked into Liz's eyes. "I remember because that's also the last time I saw you. All the time I've been gone I would replay that day over and over in my mind, trying to remember every detail, to remind myself that someday I would come back and find you again."

"But where have you been? Why are you here now? What about the war and your destiny?"

"The war is over. All the questions I had about myself have been answered and my destiny now is what ever I want it to be."

Their conversation was interrupted when a man appeared out of the crowd behind Liz, put his arms around her shoulders and kissed her neck.

"Hey, babe. I didn't expect to see you here, I thought you'd be home by now." He stopped and looked at Max. "I'm sorry, am I interrupting a tutoring session?"

"No. We were just talking. This is Max Evans, an old friend. Max, this is Scott, my boyfriend."

"Geez, Liz. I hate it when you say that, it makes me feel about fifteen years old." He leaned over and stretched his hand out towards Max. Max was confused for a minute until he remembered that the human custom was to shake hands when meeting somebody. "Max Evans, huh? Liz has mentioned you before. The old flame. Should I be worried?"

Max looked Scott square in the eye. "I would be if I were you."

Max was very pleased as Scott's teasing smile faltered. Liz looked mortified, then forced a smile and reassuringly stroked Scott's arm. "I guess I forgot to mention Max's rather weird sense of humor. He's just kidding, honey. Right, Max?"

Max could see the pleading look on Liz's face. "Yeah, just a joke."

Scott looked at him like he was not at all sure. "Okay. I would really love to stick around, but I've got to go meet my advisor. Liz, don't forget that were supposed to meet Jim and Rachel at seven for the movie." He looked at Liz for confirmation that she hadn't had a sudden change of plans. She gave him a quick kiss.

"I remember."

"So, I'll see you at home in a little while." Scott glanced again at Max, the distrust still showing in his eyes. "Max, it was interesting meeting you."

Liz watched as Scott fought his way out through the crowd, then turned and shot a hard look at Max. "How could you do that?" Liz gathered her things and stood up. "Why did you have to come back here? My life is going so good right now. If you came here to screw things up, you can just go back to where ever you came from."

Max jumped up, grabbed Liz by the arms and pulled her so that her face was inches away from his. She turned her head so that she wouldn't have to look into his eyes. He could smell the warm, clean fragrance of her hair and he realized that his memory had failed him. He had forgotten how it really felt to be near her. How soft her skin was, how the pale curve of her throat was accented by her thick, dark hair. She could feel the warmth of his breath on her skin as he spoke quietly. "I have spent five years fighting for my life and for the destiny that was planned for me. That battle is over, I'm fighting for myself and for what I want now. I told you once that I would come for you. Now I have."

There was sadness and anger in Liz's dark eyes. "It's been a long time, Max. A lot has changed since you've been gone. I've changed, I'm not the same person you once knew."

Max loosed his grip. "I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push you. I would really like the chance to get to know you again. Will you let me?"

Liz pulled away from him and stood motionless. He could sense the struggle going on within her. He barely moved, afraid that anything he did might banish him from her life forever. Liz had thought she would never see Max again. She was unprepared for the feelings seeing him again had awakened in her. She kept telling herself that the best thing to do was to walk out of here and go back to the life that had seemed so simple and perfect this morning. But she knew she couldn't. Max was back, and no matter what might happen or who it might hurt she knew that she couldn't just walk away from him. She took out a piece of paper and handed it to him. "This is my class syllabus, the number on top is the phone in my office. You can call me there." She looked uncertainly at Max a moment more, then turned and walked out of the restaurant before she could change her mind.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.