Fanfic - Max/Liz
"The Seed"
Part 10
by Lady Victoria
Disclaimer: All of these characters except for Nell, Conroy, and the Bishop, belong to WB.
Summary: Max and Liz uncover a secret about her past.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This may not be consistent with the show, but it can't be more confusing than Roswell's second season.
All the way along the road, Max couldn't shake the feeling that they were being followed. He kept thinking of that orderly that he'd barely glimpsed back at the hospital. Was he FBI or what? He wondered if he should mention anything to the others but thought the better of it. They all were so freaked out at the moment, the least little thing could start a panic. He glanced at Liz in the seat next to him. She hadn't said a word since they'd left the hospital. She just sat with her face in the shadows, looking out the window. In the back seat, Michael and Maria were also quiet. Not a happy party. Max thought. He suddenly hit the brakes. In the back seat there was a cry from Maria.

"Max, what's going on? I thought I'd go flying!" she shrieked. Max didn't seem to hear her. His eyes went to Liz sitting next to him and then back to Michael. He could feel a tension coming from both of them, slightly from Liz, strongly from Michael, the same tension that he had just felt, the tension any of them felt when the power was being used. They all three looked at each other significantly. Maria, however, was bewildered. "What in the world is going on? What are you doing?" Max had turned the car around and was heading back the way they had come.

"Going to Isabel's." Max told her. "She should be in on this."

Maria started to protest, but then Liz spoke up. He's right, Maria. And I'd like to talk to Isabel about the dreamwalk." Maria was silent, but her mind was working overtime. The three in the car with her had just experienced something that she herself had not, and one of those three was Liz Parker, her best friend. How did Liz see her after all these changes? Would she grow just as suspicious and cautious as Max and Michael were now? Would she be so very different? Maria felt a sudden wave of loneliness creep over her. At this rate she would be the only human left in their group, except for Kyle, and she really didn't have much use for Kyle! Just then she felt a hand on her shoulder, and Michael pulled her close to him. The look in his eyes said "Don't worry." She placed her head on his shoulder, and they all kept silent in the ride to Isabel's house. When they pulled in at Isabel's, there was an ominous silence.

"Something's happened." Max said as they all climbed from the car. They went up to the porch, and Max rang the bell. The door was opened by Isabel who seemed both disappointed and relieved to see them.

"I was hoping that you were Jesse. I know that he wouldn't ring, but I thought maybe he'd forgotton his key."

"What's happened, Izzy?" Max asked. "Someone used the power." He stopped as he saw his sister's shoulders begin to shake. "Iz, what is it?"

"I tried to walk him tonight, and he woke up." She covered her face with her hands and began to cry. "Oh, Max, the way he looked at me!"

"You told him?" Michael was incredulous.

"I thought it was time that I did. After what I saw in Kyle's dream . . ."

"Kyle?" Liz questioned sharply. "You dreamwalked him too?"

Isabel nodded and told them about Kyle's dream sequence.

"Kyle and you? What a day of surprises this is turning into!" said Maria. Max put an arm around his sister and drew her to the sofa.

"I'm sorry, Isabel. I never should have asked you to do it." He sat down on one side of her, and Liz sat down on the other.

"I wouldn't worry, Isabel. Jesse loves you. He's just a little . . .surprised, that's all. I mean, I know the feeling. I did the same thing when Max told me, but I came back." she said. Isabel reached out and took Liz's hand. Liz was surprised. She had never seen the Ice Princess get so intimate with her." Isabel gripped her hand for a long moment before she spoke. "We knew you'd used your powers . . ." Max began but Isabel cut him short.

"I know something's up." Her eyes went around the group. "The clan is all gathered. Except for Kyle." Her voice faltered on his name. Max brought her up to date and told where they were going.

Liz looked nervous. "I had wanted to ask you about the dreamwalk, Isabel. I'm sorry. I know it's a bad time . . ." Isabel suddenly rose, pulling Liz to her feet as she did.

"Let's go." she said. "I'll tell you about the dreamwalk on the way."

"What about Jesse?" asked Max. Isabel tried to give him a "devil may care" look and preceded them all out to the car. They resumned their journed to Nell's with Isabel going over Liz's dream sequence in detail. When she got to the part about Liz's arm, Liz ran a hand over her arm and showed the mark to Isabel.

"Did you see this in the dream?" she asked her.

Isabel considered. "I don't remember. The girl was covering the baby's arm, and the baby was crying. They were both afraid of something or someone, and it wasn't me."

"And you think that this who or what scarred up Liz's arm." said Michael. "But who or what was it?"

"Fire." Max said the word abruptly, and Michael stared at him.

"What makes you think it was a fire?" asked Michael.

"I'm talking about that." Max stopped the car and pointed. A little ways ahead of them they could see smoke, and the sky was streaked crimson. Liz was staring straight head, her eyes fixed on the smoke. "You all right, Liz?" Max asked.

Liz replied without turning her head. She gave a little nod toward the fire. "That's Nell's apartment."

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.