Fanfic - Max/Liz
"The Seed"
Part 7
by Lady Victoria
Disclaimer: All of these characters except for Nell, Conroy, and the Bishop, belong to WB.
Summary: Max and Liz uncover a secret about her past.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: This may not be consistent with the show, but it can't be more confusing than Roswell's second season.
When Max arrived at Maria's, he found that she was not alone; Michael Guerin was with her. For some strange reason, Max was not surprised. Though Maria had wanted "out" to pursue a singing career, something told Max that somehow or other, the guitar-strummer would find her way back to his friend. Michael answered Max's knock.

"Maxwell!" he exclaimed. "Long time, little see! Come in." This did surprise Max. His friend wasn't usually so expressive and "bouncy."

"You and Maria are back in?" Max asked.

"How did you guess?" Michael gave him a wink. "You don't look so hot, though. Still missing Liz?"

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, you and Maria." They both walked into the living room. Maria was sitting on the sofa strumming her guitar softly. She greeted Max with a smile.

"Hi, head man. What's in the wind?"

"There always has to be something, doesn't there?" Max sat down in an armchair across from her, and Michael settled next to Maria who laid aside her guitar.

"I didn't mean it that way, Max. I'm always glad to see you. But most of the time when I do see you, something's in the wind . . .like . . ."

"Like FBI or Skins or Tess wreaking havoc. I know. But I need your help, Maria. I think Liz might be in danger." Both Maria and Michael listened wide-eyed as Max told them the story, begining with Jeff's heart attack and ending with Isabel's dreamwalking experience. When he finished, Maria swallowed hard. Max was silent a minute before asking, "Can you help me, Maria?"

"What do you want to know?"

"Well, next to her parents, you've known Liz longer than anyone else. Do you know anything about this godmother I met tonight, this Nell?"

"I know that Liz and I spent a day with her when we were both around seven or so. I don't remember seeing her anymore after that, but she would always write to Liz. Liz would talk to me about her."

"Where did she write from?" Max asked.

Maria looked a little nervous. "No idea. There was never a return address, and most of the letters seemed to be hand delivered." There was a long silence. Michael let out a low whistle.

"For a devoted godmother, she certainly keeps a low profile."

"No return address, Maria? You're sure?" Max asked.

"Well, it was a long time ago, but I always remember this Nell was really secretive. She'd told Liz never to tell her parents about her letters or her visits."

"Strange." Michael commented. "Like she was afraid they wouldn't approve. And they'd picked her to be the godmother."

"Well, it was really because of Nell's sister, Anna. She was Mr. Parker's first love. She would've married him probably . . ." She trailed off as they all looked at each other. "Those images, Max!"

"Yes, if she died in a car wreck, that's probably what I was seeing."

"Maybe this Anna was really Liz's mother!" said Michael.

Maria shook her head. "Oh, no, Michael. I don't think so. Mr. Parker would've told her if that was true. It wasn't like he was ashamed . . ." Once more she stopped.

"What's the matter?"Michael asked.

"He was drunk. Liz told me about it."

"That would be a good reason not to tell her." Max said. "But what about the scar?"

"The scar?" Maria asked.

"On Liz's arm. If she was the child that Isabel saw in her dreamwalk . . ."

"Dreamwalk?" The single word fell in the silence like a hammerblow. All three of them whirled to see Liz standing in the family room doorway.

Maria recovered her voice first. "Liz, I didn't hear you come in. I mean, I didn't hear you knock."

"I can see why. You were too busy gossiping!" Liz was clearly angry. "What is all this about dreamwalking?" Her gaze shifted to Max. "Max, did you get Isabel to dreamwalk me?"

"I was worried about you. All those changes! I thought . . ."

"Can't you trust me? Didn't you think I would tell you?"

"It wasn't just that."

No. You wanted to know about my family and about Nell too!" She whirled on Maria. "And you, Maria! You were telling him about my father!"

"Liz, please!"

"I told you that in the strictest confidence!"

"I'd already guessed it, Liz." Max said. "And since we're on the subject of Nell and your family, do you have the scar on your arm?"

Liz held up her right arm for them to see. There on her forearm was a faint, pink, J-shaped scar. "There! It's no big deal! I got it falling off a tricycle when I was five."

"Liz, you never rode a tricycle." Maria said gently. "You thought they were babyish. That's why you never rode mine."

Liz's eyes flashed. "I don't have to stay here and listen to all this! " She turned to go, but Max caught her arm.

"You're scared, aren't you? Scared of what that dream means! Why are you dreaming about Nell all of a sudden, now that you're changing?"

"Figure that out yourself!" Liz wrenched free and raced for the door. This exit was spoiled, however, by a scream and a thud. The others raced out to find Liz lying on the floor. Max touched her left side. It was bleeding.

"What happened?" Michael yelled. Max glanced at the area where Liz had fallen and found a kitchen knife. It must've fallen off the kitchen counter when Liz was storming out.

"She's hurt." Max told the others. "We have to get her to the hospital."

Maria hesitated. "Max, couldn't you . . ."

"Not this time! I may do more harm than good! We have to get her to the hospital now!"

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.