FanFic - Max/Liz
"Timelines"
Part 1
by Anne
Disclaimer: They're not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I'm just borrowing them!
Summary: What would the world have been like if Liz had died in the shooting? After an accident, Liz finds herself experiencing that world.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
"How is it possible that I could be that I could be the happiest I've ever been, you know, and now the saddest all at one time?"

"I think that's what being in love is."

"I think so too."

"So we'll just take a step back. For a while."

"Yeah, well. You know if that's what you want."

"It's what I need Liz, because I'm just as scared as you are."

"No, wait Max!" Liz kisses him. Max just stands there like a stone, refusing to allow himself to kiss her back."

"I just wanted to remember."

"Goodbye Liz."

"Bye Max."

Liz had never felt so cold in all her life, as she stood there on the rooftop hugging herself tightly. The tears ran freely down her face as she tried to comprehend what has just happened to her. She stared up at the stars, her eyes catching the constellation, the one she now knew lead to his home. Suddenly the universe seemed a lot bigger, and a lot lonelier.

Liz turned and looked at her diary, where she kept all her most personal thoughts and feelings. Just a minute before Liz had been sitting there thinking about Max, and how much she loved him, and how she'd do anything for him. When he came, Liz was so happy to see him, until she realized why he was there. Just the other day he'd said that it would be worth it no matter what they went through, 'cause they'd be together, and then he ran at the first sign of trouble.

Suddenly Liz was angry. Angry with Max for being so afraid. Angry with herself for giving him a reason to run. She needed to vent it all out. She turned to stalk over to her diary, but as she reached the chair, her foot slipped on the wax that had dripped down off of one of the candles she constantly burned up there. All Liz could see in her mind was Max's face before the blackness that came when her head cracked against the wall.

Liz slowly opened her eyes and looked at her bedroom ceiling. There was a moment of confusion. The last thing she remembered was Max and her on the roof. At that memory the pain of what he had said burst up inside her. Then she remembered him leaving, and her standing alone up there, and that was it. Then there was nothing. She had no idea how she ended up sleeping in her bed. Oh well. It wasn't important. What was important now was getting to school and dealing with Max. Liz wanted to cry at the thought of him, but she couldn't let herself. Today she needed to be strong. No emotions. She had to suppress them while she was at school, otherwise she would totally break down when she saw him.

Liz quickly showered and dressed, and ran down the stairway into the alley. She didn't want to have to deal with her parents this morning. She looked at her watch. Maria should be pulling up front any moment. Liz waited..and waited. This was weird. Maria was usually here by now. What the hell was going on? Finally after another 5 minutes, Liz gave up and turned down the street to walk to school.

Max drove through the streets of Roswell only half paying attention to the heated discussion that Isabel and Michael were having beside him. It was going to be tough to get through today. It was the six month anniversary of the Crashdown shooting. The day that Liz Parker had died. He felt a pain inside him just at the thought of it. He was going to go to the cemetery again today. More flowers. As if flowers could bring her back to him. Max hadn't told Isabel or Michael why it bothered him so much. They would be so mad at him if he told them that his biggest wish was to have been in the café that day, so that he could have saved her, brought her back to them. He had daydreamed about what it would have been like, to connect with her, heal her, and then tell her the truth about him. She had been so beautiful and caring. She probably would have accepted the truth about him with open arms. Max snorted. Yeah, that's it. Next thing you'll know he'll be daydreaming about how she would have fallen in love with him after finding out the truth. Yeah right. No one would fall in love with an alien.

He pulled the car around a corner, and as they passed the Crashdown Café, Max pulled his eyes off the road and stared at the restaurant. He did it every time he drove passed there. He didn't even mean to, it just always happened. He always imagined he could see Liz walk out the doors of the café again. Suddenly Max blinked. Wait a sec, this time he didn't imagine it. He could have sworn that as he drove past, he saw Liz walking out of the alley next to her home. It's impossible though. She's dead. Max slammed on the brakes.

"What the hell are you doing Max!" Michael shouted out.

"Um, I need to go do something. You guys go ahead to school. I'll catch you later." Max jumped out of the jeep and ran back towards Liz's.

As Michael and Isabel watched him go, only one thought was running through their heads. What was that about?

Michael jumped up into the driver seat, and they sped off.

Liz sighed as she saw Max's jeep drive by. Of course he was the first person she'd see this morning. It took all the strength in her not to cry, as he completely ignored her presence. About halfway down the next block though, she saw the jeep screech to a halt.

"No! I can't deal with him right now!" Liz thought to herself. "Looks like he's not giving me much of a choice though." Max had jumped out of the jeep and was walking directly towards her. He had a really weird look on his face.

"What do you want Max."

"Liz? Is that really you? What are you doing here."

"Walking to school? What does it look like I'm doing? Taking a step back doesn't mean I'm going to disappear off the planet or something."

"What are you talking about?"

Liz stared at Max. Why was he doing this to her. "Max. Why are you pretending like nothing happened last night? God, as if shattering my heart into a million pieces wasn't enough, now you're just going to play dumb? This isn't like you. I never thought that you would sink so low. I mean, it's bad enough that you ran at the first sign of trouble, but now you're just going to pretend like nothing happened between us?"

Max stared at Liz. "Happened between us? In my dreams maybe, but I have no idea what you're talking about Liz. I just want to know how it's possible that you're standing here. But I'm getting the impression that you have no idea what I'm talking about to the same extent that I don't know what you're talking about. I'll show you what I mean. Trust me."

"How can I trust you Max? I trusted you with my heart, and you shattered it."

"Please Liz?" Max was confused. Shattered her heart? What was she talking about?

He held out his hand to her, and she took it. At his touch there were sparks between them, but they both tried to ignore it, as he led her off.

"So we're going to cut school again. Let's be careful this time, okay? I don't want you ending up in another hospital bed." Liz told him.

Max just ignored her, and he led her towards the Roswell Cemetery.

"What are we doing here Max."

"I want you to see a grave. It's probably going to be really upsetting for you, so I'm sorry before hand, but I think it's the only way for you to understand…" Max's voice trailed off. "Here we are."

Liz looked down at the gravestone. It read "Elizabeth Parker. Died September 18th, 1999."

Liz gasped. "What? Are you trying to tell me that I'm dead? That's the day of the shooting. What's going on here?"

Liz slumped to her knees and started crying. Max watched her. All he wanted to do was gather her up in his arms and hold her until she was all better, but he didn't have the right. He was still confused though. How was it possible that she could be here?

"Liz. I'm sorry. I know this must be really hard for you." Max reached out and took her hand. He just couldn't resist touching her again. Liz looked up, her tear stained eyes meeting his. Suddenly she was in his arms. Neither of them was sure which one reached for the other first, but they sat there holding one another.

It felt so right, him holding her like this, but it made Liz cry even harder. She loved the feel of his arms holding her tightly against him, but it confused her. Just last night he had broken her heart, and now all of this. Liz couldn't deal with it anymore. She pushed herself away from him, and they just stared at each other.

"I can't do this. Not now." Liz told him. "I need to go." She turned and ran off. Max just stood there and watched her go. He tried to comprehend everything that had just happened, but he just couldn't figure it out. He turned and walked home. He couldn't go to school. He just couldn't deal with it today.

Pt 2 Liz walked for hours. She went everywhere she could possibly think to go. She walked past her home, and past her school. She went to Maria's house, and then to Alex, but she didn't go in anywhere. If what was happening was real, then she was dead to all these people. For the first time she couldn't go to any of the people that she usually turned to in a crisis. Finally Liz realized that there was only one place that she could go to, and like that she found herself knocking on Max's bedroom window.

"Liz. Hi."

"Listen, Max. I've had a lot of time to think today, and well, it all led me back to you. I don't have anyone else I can turn to, especially since everyone thinks I'm dead. And, anyway, can I come in? I need to talk to you."

"Of course you can."

"So I have a theory on what's going on here, but I have no idea how to fix it or anything. I think I've somehow jumped realities."

"Jumped realities?"

"You know, timelines. I don't know how it's possible, but somehow it happened because I'm here, and I shouldn't be."

"What's the last thing you remember from your world? Do you know when it happened?"

"I'm not sure. In my reality I was on my roof talking to you, and then you left, and the next thing I knew, I woke up on my bed in this reality. It's all so weird."

"You were talking to me?" Max was surprised. In this world he and Liz almost never talked before she died. He thought about her constantly, wishing he had the guts to talk to her, about anything, but in reality she barely knew him.

Suddenly a thought occurred to Max. "Could I have done this?" he thought. Maybe in Liz's reality he has more powers than he does in this one. Max felt horribly guilty. He knew that if another Max did this, it really wasn't his fault, but he still felt bad. Maybe he could find some way to fix what was happening to Liz. But did he really want to fix it? He finally had the girl of his dreams standing there with him. Was he really that selfish that he would try to keep her there if he could?

"Max, are you okay?" Oops. He had zoned out.

"Yeah, sorry, what were you saying?"

"I asked if it's okay if I stay here tonight. I don't exactly have anywhere else I can go."

"Stay here tonight?" Max thought to himself, "Like in his room? With him?" Michael did it all the time, but he wasn't horribly attracted to Michael. He couldn't put her in with Isabel. God, it was like all his Liz-dreams were coming true at once.

"Of course you can stay here Liz. I wouldn't leave you out there alone."

"Thank you Max." Liz sat down on his bed, and looked up into the eyes of the alien that she'd been dreaming about for months. "But it's not really him is it" she thought to herself. "It's A Max, but not MY Max." But was he even her Max anymore? He ended it with her. Took a step back. He said it was just for a while, but any time without Max seemed like an eternity to her. Her world was going to feel so empty without him in it. At least here she had him.

A single tear dripped down Liz's face. Max reached his finger out and caught it on her cheek.

"Don't do that Liz. Don't cry. I know that it must be tough, all that you're going through, but I'm going to help you through it, okay? I'll do anything in my power to help you find your way home."

"I know you will Max. I believe in you." Max looked down at her and felt all his affection for this woman pouring out of him. Those four words spoken by her, "I believe in you," gave him such strength. He felt like he could do anything, as long as Liz Parker believed in him."

Liz looked up at him, and then smiled. She was here with him, she might as well make the most of it. "Hey Max, let's go do something."

"Do something?"

"Yeah Max, something fun. I mean, don't you want to? You've wanted to be with me for so long Max, and now I'm here. Let's take advantage of it and have some fun while we can." Max grinned.

"Okay. I'll admit, I never expected this, but why not? Do you like Chinese? I know this great place across town." Now it was Liz's turn to smile.

"Sure. Let's go."

Max and Liz go to the Chinese place, and play pool. As they play, Liz begins to realize again that this Max isn't really her Max, as he's much better at playing pool.

"Do you come here a lot?" Liz asked him as they sat down to eat.

"Yeah." Max replied quietly. "Um, after you died, it hurt too much to go to the Crashdown, so I found a new place to hang out."

"Oh," Liz replied quietly, "I'm sorry."

"I never thought I'd ever eat with you here," Max laughed. "I used to imagine what it would be like to bring you on a date here."

"Well, now you know," Liz smiled and squeezed his hand. They finished their food and moved on to their fortune cookies.

"What does yours say," Liz asked Max. He broke his open.

"It says, this is the best night of your life." Max smiled and looked up at Liz. The blood had drained from her face.

"What?" she asked.

"This is the best night of your life, see?" Max showed her his fortune cookie. It really said that.

"Excuse me. I need some air." Liz jumped up and ran out of the restaurant.

Max sat there shocked for a moment, before paying the bill and following her outside. He found her sitting on the ground leaning against the jeep.

"Are you okay Liz?" Max stared down at her with a worried gaze.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't being fair to you. I thought I would be okay, since it was you, but that fortune cookie thing freaked me out."

"Liz, what are you talking about. Tell me what's wrong."

"Let's go somewhere quieter to talk."

"Okay." Max and Liz jumped into the jeep, and they drove out into the desert. Max veered the jeep off the highway, and drove them towards some rock formations. He parked the jeep, and they got out.

"Come on. I come out here sometimes to stargaze, or to think. It's really quiet and peaceful here." Max led Liz up to the top of the rocks, and they sat down and gazed up at the sky. The stars were shining brightly tonight, and in an instant Liz found the constellation she'd been looking for. The "v" shaped one, which was going to lead Max home.

"See that constellation up there, the radish shaped one?" Max looked at where she was pointing.

"Yeah I see it."

"That's the one I always look for when I go stargazing. I keep a telescope up on my roof. I love studying the stars." Liz shivered and hugged herself. She didn't know what she would do if she ever lost Max to the stars. At least she'd always know where to look for him.

"Tell me about your Roswell, Liz." Max asked. He wanted to know everything about her. What she liked, what she didn't like. What she loved, what she hated. What made her break down crying in the Chinese restaurant.

"My Roswell?" Liz asked. She shivered again.

"Here," Max said, as her took off his jacked and draped it around her shoulders. He left his arm around her and pulled her closer to him. "I want to hear everything."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.