FanFic - Max/Liz
"Timelines"
Part 2
by Anne
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Liz sat there silently for a moment. Could she really tell him everything that had happened to them: Topolsky, River Dog, Atherton? There was so much. He didn't even know that she knew about him yet.

"I guess I should start with what happened in the restaurant. I'm sorry about that. It got too weird and intense for me. It wasn't you, I want you to know that." Liz stammered. How could she tell him everything?

"Don't worry about it. It's over."

"You have to understand. In my world, um, well, you took me on our first date there."

"We dated in your world?" Max couldn't believe what he was hearing. In her world, he actually had the guts to ask her out? He wondered what kind of circumstances brought them together. Before she had died, Liz barely would have given him the time of day. He knew that he would have never moved forward with it. Not only was he just plain out too shy, and kind of embarrassed about his feelings for her, but he was also just different. No one, not even Liz, would have understood what his life was like.

"We went on one date. To the Chinese Restaurant. I was cool with it at first, 'cause our date there was nothing like the one in my world. My Max sucks at pool, for example. But the fortune cookie thing freaked me out. On our date, I told Max that my fortune cookie said, "Tonight is the best night of your life," because it was. It was true at that point in time."

"But something happened." Max stated as a fact. He could tell she was leaving something out.

"Our date got interrupted. Michael got really sick and needed you there with him, and anyway, Michael being sick set off a series of events, which led to my Max breaking up with me. That was last night. It was the last thing I remember before I woke up here."

"And that's where all that stuff about breaking your heart came from when I first saw you this morning." Max finished for her. Max couldn't believe this. HE broke up with his dream girl? Liz nodded slowly, trying to figure out what to say next. How was she supposed to explain her world to him? Do you just blurt stuff like that out? By the way, I know you're an alien. Or is there kind of a subtle way of saying it without freaking him out.

"I'm sorry. It must have really hurt." Liz looked up at him. Oh no! He was apologizing for her Max.

"Don't. It wasn't you who did it. My Max…well, our relationship is really complex. There's lots of things that are pushing us together, but twice as many trying to keep us apart." Max nodded. He could understand that. But what he couldn't understand was what brought them together. He had admired her from afar for, well, as long as he'd known her, but he always held himself back from expanding to even a friendship with her. His life was so complex, he didn't think she could ever really understand it.

Max and Liz both sat in silence for a few minutes, both of them trying to work up the courage to say what needed to be said. Finally Max worked up the courage to say it.

"Liz, I have to ask. How is it that you and I became so close, I mean, before you died we didn't even talk enough to classify us as a relationship, and now you're telling me that in your world we were a couple. Truthfully, I don't think that anything would have made me open up to you while you were alive. The fact that I've lived with your death these past few months is the only thing that's really given me the strength to do it now. So my guess is something had to have happened between us. What was it?"

Max felt a huge relief lift from his shoulders. He had gotten it out. He looked intently into Liz's eyes, and found her staring back into his. God she looked so beautiful, sitting there in the dark with the stars in the sky behind her, all cuddled up in his favorite jacket.

Liz stared back at Max, still trying to figure out how to say what she needed to say. She looked into the eyes of the man she loved, and found it hard to believe that he didn't already know what happened between them. As she had fallen in love with Max, she knew with certainty that there was no one else in the universe like him, and somehow, she had found him. Another Max. As she sat there with his arm around her, it felt so perfect, like it was where she belonged. But at the same time, it wasn't where she belonged, and they both knew it. Liz finally knew what to say to Max.

"Um, something did happen between us," Liz stammered trying to get it out right, "The shooting happened. In my world, you were in the Crashdown the day of the shooting, and you put your hand on my stomach, and you healed me, and when you healed me, it opened up my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities. You were the center of all those possibilities."

Max felt like he had been punched in the stomach. He had spent most of the day with Liz. They had laughed together, and cried together, and talked together. No one had ever made him feel so at home, so human. For a little while, he had almost forgotten how different from her he was, and now he finds out that she knew about him all along? It was completely unexpected, and unimaginable. Okay, so he had dreamed it a million times, but no one ever expects their dreams to come to life right in front of him.

Max stood up and paced around for a moment, before kicking a rock down the edge of the rocky cliff. He had no idea how to react to this. Liz watched him from where she was sitting and tried to figure out what to say. She stood up, walked over to where Max was standing, and took his hands into hers.

"Max, talk to me. Don't bundle it all up inside. I know that's what you've always done your entire life, but you can let it all out. It's okay."

"Do you.." Max stammered, "Do you know the truth. About me I mean?" Max looked down at her, trying to see through her eyes, and figure out what she was thinking.

"Yeah." Max nodded. It didn't look like there was any fear in her eyes when she said that. Then again, she had treated him normally all day. Suddenly a thought occurred to Max.

"Liz, you dated me even though you know I'm an alien?"

"I fell in love with you even though you're an alien. And I wouldn't change anything about you." Max couldn't believe what he was hearing. Liz Parker loved him. He felt like he was in a dream. Any moment now he would probably start flying. Max looked deeply into Liz's eyes. There was something he had always wanted to do. This would be the perfect moment. Slowly, hesitantly, Max brought his lips to Liz's, and they met in a deep, passionate kiss. Their lips broke, and Max's broke out in a grin.

"What?" Liz asked.

"That just proved it for me. This isn't a dream. I know that for certain, because in my dreams, whenever I try to kiss you I wake up. We're still here though."

Liz nodded. "Yes, we are here."

Pt 4 Liz woke up the next morning as the light shined through the big windows in Max's bedroom. She breathed a sigh of contentment, and snuggled a little closer to Max, as he lay beside her with his arms wrapped tightly around her.

"What a perfect ending to a less then perfect day," Liz thought. After they kissed on top of the desert rocks, she and Max had loaded themselves back into the jeep, and returned to the Evan's house, where he lent her some of Isabel's sweats, and she had crawled into his bed. Max, being the perfect gentleman of course, had begun to roll a sleeping bag out on the floor, before Liz asked him to keep her warm. And for the first time in her life, Liz had the pleasure of falling asleep in the arms of the love of her life. Liz felt Max begin to stir. He stretched, and then returned his arms around Liz, softly kissing her on the forehead. Liz beamed. It was amazing to her how in that small gesture from Max she felt more love from him than she had ever felt from Kyle, or anyone else she had ever dated.

It was Saturday, so Max had no need to get up early. He lay there, holding her tightly, never wanting the moment to end.

It ended with a bang, as Isabel burst into Max's room, causing them both to sit up in a hurry. Isabel stared at them in shock, her brain trying to register the scene before her. Max was in bed with Liz Parker! But Liz was dead. They had attended the funeral. At least they were both dressed…

"What the hell is going on here," Isabel stammered. Michael's face appeared behind hers, equally in shock.

"Good morning," Max said calmly.

"Good Morning? That's all you have to say Maxwell?" Michael spit out.

"How can she be here? She's dead!" Isabel exclaimed.

"It's kind of a long, weird story," Liz muttered, obviously embarrassed at being caught there.

"Remember yesterday when I ran off on the way to school? Well I saw Liz walking down the side of the road, and I needed to see what's up. All we know is that this Liz isn't the Liz from our world."

"But what's she doing here?" Isabel demanded to know.

"We don't know." Max responded.

"Max and I have been trying to figure that out, but we're not coming up with any explanations. It was like, one minute I was at home in my Roswell, and then next moment I woke up here."

"This is great. This is just great." Michael muttered. "So what are you going to do with her. If we're seen walking around with a dead girl it's going to draw eyes."

"Michael, I'm not going to leave her alone. She needs help. She has no one in this world except me. She's staying here with me, because she has no where else to go. Now if you guys wouldn't mind, Liz and I want to get dressed and stuff. We can talk about this more later."

"Fine Max, but this isn't over yet." Michael threatened. Isabel and Michael retreated from the room, leaving Max and Liz alone. Max sat down on the bed and put his arm around Liz. She was sitting there silently, staring at her feet.

"You okay Liz?" Max asked her worriedly.

"Max, thank you for everything you're doing for me, but I can't expect you to take care of me constantly. I mean, who knows how long I'm going to be here. I know that it's only been one day, but what if it becomes a week, and then a month. I could be here for years, and I know I can't stay here with you for that long. I need to find a way that I can have a life here if it is necessary. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to talk to Maria and Alex. They deserve to know that I'm here."

"Of course." Max said, "Why don't you take a shower and get dressed, and I'll call them."

"I can't believe this is happening." Isabel shrieked.

"Seriously," Michael commented, "Did you see the look on Max's face when he looked at her. His reasoning is completely impaired when it comes to her."

"They slept together Michael. Max slept with her. He knows how dangerous that is, I mean, he was the one who came up with the rules."

"But the rules don't seem to matter to Max when Liz Parker is involved." Michael muttered. This was all too much.

"What are we going to do about this Michael?"

"What are we supposed to do, Izzy? We can't do anything until something happens to get Max's head screwed on straight."

"Ding, dong." The doorbell rang, and Max went to answer it. Maria and Alex stood there staring at him.

"What's going on Max?" Maria asked, "It's not every day that I get weird phone calls from a guy I barely know telling me that I have to come over and talk to him about something regarding my dead best friend."

"So what is this all about, Ma-?" Alex cut himself off in shock, when Liz walked into the room behind him.

"Hey guys, it's me." Liz greeted them easily. Her two best friends stared at her in shock. Alex was rubbing his eyes, as if trying to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. Nope, she was still there.

"How is this possible. You're dead." Alex stammered.

"I felt you die, Liz. I was holding you in my arms, watching the life drain out of you from that bullet." Maria cried, tears dripping down her face.

"I helped them bury you. And there was definitely a body in that casket." Alex replied.

"I'll explain everything," Liz told them, "Well, as best I can. Come on, let's go back to Max's room."

"So you're A Liz, but you're not OUR Liz" Maria mused after hearing Liz's story. Alex sat there silently, obviously trying to process everything.

"This is so unreal." Maria exclaimed.

"Yeah, you're telling me. I absolutely lost it when Max told me I was dead." Liz squeezed Max's hand. Having him there beside her made everything so much easier.

"So what are you going to do? Are you going to try to get back?" Alex asked her.

"Well, we don't know how I got here, so we don't know how to get me back." Liz explained, "So for now I just have to stick it out, until we know more about what's happening to me."

"Well, we're here for you, babe, as long as you need us," Maria told her.

"Thanks. I knew I could count on you guys." Liz turned to Max, "What about Michael and Isabel? Can we get them to help too?"

"I dunno. We freaked them out pretty badly this morning. They're probably really mad at me."

"I think I have something that might help. I mean, to get them to help me."

"What's that? Is there something else that you're not telling me, Liz?" Max was curious.

"There's lots of stuff that I haven't told you, Max, but let me just put it this way. Our relationship isn't the only thing that came out of the Crashdown shooting. The answers to some of your questions came out of it as well, and if I give you guys those answers, maybe I can get Isabel and Michael to help me too."

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.