Fanfic - Max/Liz
"True North"
"Beyond Destiny"
Part 2
by Isabelle
Disclaimer: "Roswell" and all its characters are the copyright properties of the owners. I have no affiliation with the show whatsover; this story was written for purposes of entertainment only. At this point all my twisted desires and passions are just that – dreams, for now!
Summary: The story continues from The Departure, save for one difference: Alex does not die. (I hate the writers who did that!!!) Liz and Max never rekindle the relationship they had, although they never stop loving each other. After Tess and his son go home in the Granolith, life goes on… Max and Liz renew their friendship, but are too afraid to cross the line again. Eventually Max’ son begins to communicate with him, and they realize it is imperative that they return home. Heartbroken that Max will never escape the destiny that keeps them apart, Liz moves away.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: The poems used, apart from the excerpt mentioned, are copyrighted by me. Thanks!
The same wind snuffs candles yet kindles flames; so, where absence kills a little love, it fans a great one. -- Francois de la Rochefoucauld

----------------------------------------------------------------o----------------------------------------------------------------

Max watches from the shadows as Liz idly pushes her swing with one foot, the pen in her mouth as she contemplates the next thought to write down. His luminous eyes devour her face hungrily, like a starving man. It pains him unbearably to see the hollows in her cheeks, the shadows under her eyes, the weary droop of her head… His fingers burn to reach out and touch her, to erase all traces of the suffering that has left his love a pale shadow of the vibrant young girl she used to be.

He has come to make his last farewell. Tomorrow, after twelve long years of waiting and working and hiding, they are finally going home. It took Max, Michael and Isabel twelve years to find another way of returning. Alex proved to be invaluable with his help. Maria’s flashes with Michael had also hastened things. And now everything was in order, and it seemed that the very stars were working in their favor – in more than just the necessary conjunctions. The timing was perfect; and as it turns out, also extraordinarily critical – the rebel colony at the home planet has been growing stronger over the last decade; and it is absolutely necessary that Max, Michael and Isabel arrive there to lead the final great effort toward overthrowing the Skins. Michael’s military expertise and Isabel’s shrewd cunning and strategy are now in vital need. Max’ son, Credo, is growing up quickly, and his life is increasingly in danger. It has taken all of Tess’ power to conceal their son from Kivar. For, ironically enough – Tess loves her son and is willing to die for him, even though she had tried to help Nasedo with the treasonable deal he had made so long ago. Max needs to be there, to protect his son, to fire the rebels’ passion for a last mighty revolt, to inspire and to guide and to stand as a steady beacon. Everything hangs in the balance. And however it turns out, Max intends to be there, to sink or swim, or to ride out the victory… the lone captain of his wounded vessel.

There is one other factor that makes it utterly necessary that the remaining three of the Royal Four should leave Earth now. They are dying. Their life cycle as alien-human hybrids is coming to a close. Although they look normal physically, inside they are crumbling. Even at this very moment Max can feel more of his essence fading. If they are going to save the home planet and themselves, they have just one chance. They would have to leave tomorrow.

But… How do you even begin to take your leave of the only person who gives meaning to your existence? Always, he has loved her. Again and again she breaks his heart, and still he loves her. The only thought that has given him strength to go on for the past twelve years has been the knowledge that she is out there, and that she believes in him completely. Always she had that amazing faith in him; that total confidence and trust. Always she saw in him the best part of himself, and she mirrored it back to him in those soulful eyes, giving him the gift of the finest and purest aspect of his being… So how do you say goodbye to the other half of yourself, to the best part of who you are? How do you leave behind a girl you have silently and passionately loved from afar, the first moment you laid eyes on her? How do you walk away from the one in whose eyes you find your only hope, your sole deliverance, your greatest strength, your purest joy, your one true thing… your reason for living?

Max puts his hand over his eyes, and stands for a while, jaws clenched, breathing deep gasps as he tries to compose himself. Be strong, Max. You can’t afford to lose it. Too much is at stake. Too many lives depend on you. You are King, and your people’s only hope, your planet’s last salvation. You have to be strong. Max shudders, then throws his head back to the stars, fists balled tightly, while inside him another voice screams silently. And what about me??? Am I doomed to live a fearless leader… a revered king… a glorified Father… with forever a broken spirit, a shattered heart, a soul as empty as the vast reaches of the cosmos? Am I not entitled to some measure of happiness? Some degree of simple togetherness with the one that I love?

Max jerks to attention as Liz sighs, then blows out the candles and steps inside. My only love… He steps out of the shadows resolutely, with renewed courage. Just get it over with. He is about to close his hand on the door handle, when the flapping of the journal’s pages catches his eye. He walks over to the porch swing, carrying a silent debate with himself as to whether or not he has the right. He sits down slowly, feeling the warmth of Liz’ body from where she had sat just moments ago. He glances down at the last page, and recognizes the poem. A stanza from "Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood." He reads with bottomless pain in his eloquent eyes.

What thought the radiance which was once so bright Be now forever taken from my sight, Though nothing can bring back the hour Of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower; We will grieve not, rather find Strength in what remains behind; In the primal sympathy Which having been must ever be; In the soothing thoughts that spring Out of human suffering; In the faith that looks through death, In years that bring the philosophic mind.

The aptness of the lines Liz has chosen brings a sharp ache to his heart. He closes his eyes and leans his head back, breathing in her scent. A single tear traces a path down his chiseled cheek from his closed eyes, as he abandons himself to the overwhelming grief, allows it to engulf him, and soon the lone tear is joined by another, and another, and another… They wash over his soul, and soothe and quiet him, and suddenly he knows the perfect way to bid his Liz goodbye.

~*~*~*~*~

It’s Just Goodbye

Lea Salonga

The sweetest song

Fades to echoes in the wind

The best of times must end

So a new day can begin

I know the truth of us

Can’t be bound by time or space

And the dreams we shared

The memories that we’ve known

Is something that we own

Though we may be alone

It’s just goodbye, remember

Time was never our friend

We walked a road together

And we came to the end

It’s just goodbye

It doesn’t really matter why

I know what we had can never die

Coz I’ll always love you…

Yes I’ll always love you

So it’s just… goodbye

~*~*~*~*~

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.