FanFic - Max/Liz
"Universal Harmony"
Part 4
by Jamie
Disclaimer: I don't own anything having to do with Roswell.
Summary: Max and Liz are confused about their relationship after the "Blind Date" episode. Michael and Maria are fighting again because of the Max/Liz situation. Isabel and Alex become closer.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
* * * *

Isabel knocked on Alex's door. She turned to Maria and Michael, saying, "Alex should know where one of them is."

"Yeah. Let's hope so, or else we're on a wild goose chase," Michael said, looking out to the dark street.

Maria wrapped her sweater tightly around her and sighed. "Maybe we should just leave them alone. They're more than likely together. What's the big news anyway?"

Michael and Isabel avoided her gaze. Maria was just about to repeat her question when Alex opened the door. His eyes popped open in disbelief when he saw Isabel standing on the porch. "Hey, guys. What's up?"

"Have you seen Liz or max since this afternoon?" Maria asked before Isabel could open her mouth.

Alex nooded, his eyebrows creasing. "Yeah, I saw Liz go upstairs after her shift and later, I went over to the UFO Center to check out any new info and I saw Max there. I guess he was setting up some new alien exhibits."

Isabel grinned with relief and looked at Maria and Michael. "See? I told you he would know."

"Well, at least he's good for something," Michael said, turning to leave. "Let's go."

"Can I come?" Alex asked.

"What? No!" Michael exclaimed as he reached theJetta.

"Michael!" Isabel said, glaring at him.

"Yes, Alex, you can come--if we can all fit in that tiny car."

Maria groaned. "I'm glad I'm playing taxi cab for all you guys when I don't even know what's going on."

Alex placed an arm around her as they walked out to the street. "You need to take a few tips from me--just be glad that they're actually acknowledging you and don't ask any questions."

Maria looked longingly at Michael. "Yeah, well, I'm not that basic. I need a few explanations."

"Suit yourself," Alex whispered to her as he got in beside Isabel and smile gratefully.

* * * *

Max finished putting the last picture on the wall and took a step back to examine his work. He shook his head and laughed inwardly at the obvious fake representations of UFO sightings. It was amazing how ALL the cameras couldn't focus long enough to take the picture. No wonder most people believed aliens weren't real--places like this made extraterrestrials a corny joke. He stared at it a moment longer, then shut off the exhibit light.

"Nice work," came a voice behind him. Startled, he turned around and saw Liz standing in the doorway. "Hi," Max greeted, happy to see her.

"Hi," Liz said as she stepped further into the room. "Are you almost done?"

Max looked back at his work. "Actually, I just finished. Want to walk with me while I lock up?"

"Sure." Liz followed him as he went through the maze of exhibits to the back door. "I half expected you to come by tonight," Liz admitted. "You know. . . so we could talk."

Max's hand froze on the lock for a moment, but he quickly masked it and turned the key. "Well, I figured you would be busy. Besides, I could use the extra hours here."

"Busy? Doing what?" Liz asked as he turned around.

"I thought you and Kyle would be--" Max began, but Liz didn't let him finish.

"Kyle? How did you know I was with Kyle today?"

"Well, I saw you guys at the Mini-Mart. I wanted to talk to you, but you were busy," Max said, trying to keep the jealousy out of his voice.

Liz shook her head and laughed softly. "Kyle was asking me about you while we were in the store. Then he came by the Crashdown during dinnertime to get a free milkshake. He left a little while later to go pick up Vicky Delaney."

Max suddenly felt like an idiot. Not knowing what to say, he moved past her to lock up the office doors. Liz was a few steps behind him, still chuckling. "Were you jealous, Max?"

"Of course not," Max blurted out, dropping the keys accidentally in his embarrassed state. He reached down to grab them and touched Liz's hand as she went to pick them up, also. Their eyes met and Max could see that he had caused her pain with his last remark.

"Of course you weren't jealous," Liz muttered. "Why would Max Evans admit to THAT?"

His heart sank as she got up from her kneeling position and began walking to the front door. "Liz!" he exclaimed, knowing that if they didn't clear things up this time, their whole relationship--if that's what it was--would be over.

She stopped at his desperate plea, but didn't turn around. "I can't keep doing this, Max. It's too confusing. you always say that you don't want to hurt me--but you do. I think you need to make up your mind about what's important to you."

Max stared at her still form, absorbing everything she had just revealed. Liz was right. He did have to make a decision. But could he give up the curiosity about his past to pursue a future with this special girl? He began walking toward her, still muddling through his thoughts. He reached out and touched her shoulder. Liz turned to face him, tears in her eyes.

Max saw her tortured expression and all the confusion melted from his mind. If only for a moment, Liz would seehow much he loved her.

Liz closed her eyes as Max's hands cupped her face, a single tear falling onto his wrist.

"You know I could never get through this without you, Liz," he whispered, his dark eyes showing every emotion that was running through his body.

Liz placed her arms around his neck and leaned closer. Their lips touched softly at first, then pressed harder and harder as they began to realize the magnitude of their decision.

* * * *

"Okay, we're here!" Maria said as she pulled up to the curb in front of the UFO Center. All the doors came open and the four of them got out.

Alex looked in the window. "I think I see them in there."

"Great," Isabel sighed with relief, finally knowing that her brother was okay.

Michael turned to Maria as she came up beside him. "Look, I'm sorry about being such a jerk lately."

Maria looked at him, surprised. "Was that an apology?"

Michael sniffed and kept his eyes focused on the door.

"I guess. I shouldn't have let out my frustrations about Max on you."

Maria allowed herself a tiny smile, but knew Michael would be embarrassed if he saw it. She shrugged, as if indifferent. "No problem. I kind of did the same thing with you when it came to Liz."

Alex and Isabel saw Maria and Michael's reflections in the glass and heard their nonchalant apologies. They looked at each other and grinned, knowing things would go back to normal after this.

"So, guys, let's go and see what the two lovebirds are up to," Michael said, pushing himself away from the car and heading toward the door.

* * * *

Max and Liz tightened their arms around each other, their kiss getting increasingly intense.

Liz's pulse was racing as Max trailed a hand into her hair and gripped the back of her neck. She ran her hands down his back, feeling his muscles tighten at every touch.

For a moment, the world was shut out--all the problems and confusion--and it was wonderful. It was just Max and Liz, two people who loved each other.

The moment was short-lived, however, when they heard the front door open. Pulling apart, they both looked toward the Center entrance with curiosity and apprehension. Michael, Maria, Isabel, and Alex appeared.

"What are you guys doing here?" Max asked, confused.

Michael went up to Max and put his hands on Max's shoulders. "I got a message from Nasedo. We need to talk."

Alex, Maria, and Liz looked at Michael with surprise.

"That was your news?" Maria spoke up.

While the group began to talk all at once, Liz stepped back from them and gazed at Max forlornly. He had that look in his eyes again--the curious, excited sparkle that always invaded when a portion of their past was discovered. She realized at that moment that Max would never be able to give up his search for information. She looked at Max's freshly finished exhibit and sighed with exasperation.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max-Liz
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.