FanFic - Max/Liz
"When Dreams Become Reality"
Part 8
by Selena Santiago
Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN ROSWELL OR ANY OF ITS CHARACTERS. I ONLY USE THIS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Max sat at his desk with his books open to the pages but his eyes were set on his picture of Liz. Life is so strange. Why does it have to be so hard to love someone? I mean, why did Tess have to come along? Just then, he heard a tapping at his window.

"What Michael?" He opened the window and instead caught a copper haired girl in his arms.

"What the heck!"

"Wait Max! Before you go crazy! I need to talk to you."

"Who are you?! I don't even know you!"

"I'm a friend of Liz's. There's a couple of things I think you should know."

"And you think you can tell me? There's nothing you can tell me about Liz I don't already know. OK?"

"Max just give me a second of your time, please, I really need to talk to you. I can't tell Liz!"

"Look I don't know you and if you don't leave I'm gonna have to call the cops...."

"The cops? What for? You can just zap the heck out of me." She looked at him right in the eyes and saw his look get stern.

"She didn't say anything. I just know. See, you're gonna find this hard to believe, but I'm here to warn you about some things that are going to mess up the rest of your life unless you fix them soon."

"Mess up my life? May I ask exactly how you know this?"

"My name is Serena. I came through the Granolith from the future. I followed you when you came. I've been here ever since."

"Me? When I came? I didn't even know what the Granolith can do! Time travel? I thought that was impossible?" They finally closed the window and she took a seat on the bed as he sat on his chair at his desk.

"The future was horrible Max. Tess went crazy and joined the enemy. Michael and Isabel were killed moments before you came back. You and Liz were married and you had to leave her in order to save the world. It was literally the end of the world."

"The end of the world? Me and Liz married? Right." Max faced the floor and got quiet for a second. "Well, you don't have to worry about that happening. We're only friends, and she seems to want to keep it that way."

"I know that. That's what you came back to the future to make her do. You see, your purpose in coming back was to make the younger you fall out of love with Liz. They worked together and got you to believe that she didn't want to be with you. So she pretended to sleep with Kyle."

Max's eyes watered up and he looked at Serena amazed. It sounded logical, yet almost impossible. But it would explain a lot of things, with Liz's visions and his dreams.

"How do I know you're not making this up?" Serena walked over to Max.

"Hold my hand."

Max looked at her, slightly untrusting, but eventually put his hand in hers. Immediately he felt a rush of energy from her and was involved in her thoughts.

³ Flash ³ ³ There was a loud noise as Serena walked into the Granolith chamber.

"Liz! Liz! What happened?" Future Liz stood with her hand on the Granolith staring off into the empty space as tears fell down her face.

"He's gone. That's it. We'll never exist this way. What if he convinces himself not to love me? What am I going to do?" Liz leaned on her friend's shoulder and cried. "I mean I don't regret him leaving. He needs to save all of us, but, why this way?"

Serena took the quartz crystal out of the Granolith.

"Look Liz, we still have some time before he carries out the plan. Now we're not even sure if a different life will be worse or better. We simply don't know. But if it's worse I'll make sure I'm there to change things. Don't worry about it... his destiny will be fulfilled one way or the other."

Days Later:

Serena ran back into the Granolith chamber. She was panicking as the world around her began to disappear. Concentrate Serena. Come on, you can do this. Do it for Max and Liz. She breathed hard and put the quartz into the Granolith. The machine began to glow and she closed her eyes. Suddenly time froze. The feeling was like that of having spun around too many times and being too dizzy to even stand up straight. Then there was another world. The future after the future Max changed the past. It was a dark planet. Max had become an insensitive, crazed leader. His love had driven him mad and although he was married to Tess there was absolutely no connection between them or their powers. Isabel had again betrayed her people, and Max's next plan was to have her killed. Before she could get too involved in the scene, Serena finished her trip and landed back in Roswell. Right where she wanted to be. That's when she met up with Liz. But her meeting was much different than the one they would have had. This time, Liz seemed uncomfortable, because she knew who Serena was. They met up one night at the Crashdown with Maria and Serena told them everything. Everything except the reason she was there. ³

Max opened his eyes and breathed hard. Serena fell to the floor.

"Serena!?" He bent over her and placed his hand on her head. He concentrated hard and tried to wake her up. Finally, she slowly arose. A little weak from the extensive flash.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I need to leave now. But we'll talk more tomorrow. There's one last plan on changing the future. I just really hope this one works. You may want to talk to Liz. Try a different way, I think she'll respond to a different method. Goodnight Max." Serena stumbled a bit as she got up, but found her way to the window and jumped out. Immediately, Max walked into his sister's room.

"Isabel wake up! Can I talk to you?"

"Huh? What Max? It's like 1A.M."

"I know, but I need to talk to you." She sat up on her bed and invited him to sit. She was still slightly surprised he wanted to talk to her. Lately they hadn't been as close as she would have liked because of everything that had happened between them.

"Isabel, I'm your brother. And I love you. Regardless of your past, or Vilandra's past. You and me have been close since we stepped out of our pods."

"Yeah, and you woke me up to tell me this Max?" Isabel glared at her brother strangely.

"A lot of things have happened since the end of this summer. Like you said, things that tend to take away from our humanity. And I feel, strong in a sense I've never felt strong before. But I also feel empty. I don't know if you'll be able to understand how I feel, or what I'm about to tell you, but I need to get this out. Ok? So just listen to me for a second." Isabel's eyes widened with curiosity.

"I have tried to be a leader. I have tried to care for everyone equally. To be strong and fearless. To do everything right. With Michael pestering me at first and criticizing me, it hasn't been easy, although we have gotten better around each other. Then, when Lonnie and Rath showed up, and I found out about Vilandra the way I did, well... it was really hard for me because I felt more alone than I ever have. I felt like even you, the person who I love and trust so much, had just stabbed me in the back. Then Tess... well, we have been getting along. I am much more used to her, and I care a lot about her, but not like a wife. I don't love her Isabel. I love Liz. Then something happened that I never expected. She slept with Kyle. I never thought I could feel so sad. We're friends now... but I miss her. Everything about who she used to be. I feel like she's hiding something from me. Lately, I just feel like letting go. Of everything."

Isabel's tears fell as she hugged her brother. My God, all this time I thought he didn't care. He's simply cared too much. She pulled away and looked at Max, unbelieving that he told her all of that.

"I think Mom and Dad have noticed that you're having a hard time. But I don't think you need therapy. I think you never have. You've just been missing Liz all this time haven't you?"

"Basically. I mean, with her, I felt so strong. But in a different sense. I had a great system of support, you, Michael, Maria, Alex, and Liz. You guys were all I ever needed. Then the whole thing with Tess really threw me off. I just feel like I can't think. And lately, I've been having these dreams. Then today, I spoke to someone who opened my eyes to some things. They seem impossible, but with all that's happened, I think they're real."

"Who? And what?"

"There's this new girl in town. Her name is Serena. She and Liz are friends. She's really smart, she's in my Physics class. She's worse than Liz when it comes to that science stuff. Then today she shows up at my window. I obviously freaked big time, but she said things. Then she held my hand, and I saw things. Things from the future. About the Granolith, about our planet, about me. I believe her."

"What did she say?" Isabel was mesmerized by Max's words.

"She gave me an insight to the future and I married Liz."

"Really?"

"But the world went crazy. You... betrayed me...again. Michael died, minutes before I left..."

"Left? Where?"

"The Granolith... it seems to be capable of time travel. Serena and Liz formulated a quartz crystal that sets it off somehow. Then I came back to our present time. But I don't know what I did here. Or what happened, if I ever made it. All I know is what she showed me. And that was Liz, crying after I left, saying we would never exist that way again. Then the world around them disappeared somehow. And she held herself in a time warp, that's her power."

"Who's?

"Serena's." Isabel looked at Max. She lowered her eyes for an instant, as if to think, and looked at him again.

"She has powers? Max what if she's... well a skin. Or an evil enemy of some other species we don't even know about."

"Because she wouldn't be warning me if she was."

"Warning you of what?"

"Another possible end of the world."

"So what do we do? I mean, Maria's still missing. Do you think that may have something to do with Serena showing up mysteriously? What if... what if I mess up again? Like I did in the other life?" She held her knees into her chest and pulled up her blanket like a scared child.

"I won't let that happen. You shouldn't either. Now I think, we can do something if we're pre-warned. I just need to find out if Liz has anything to do with the whole scenario. I need to find out what she's hiding. Can you help me?" He looked at his sister pleadingly.

"Yea. You know what? I have an idea."

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.