FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Letter"
Part 1
by Damon Moudry
Disclaimer: All of the characters in this story collectively belong to Jason Katmis, The WB, Melinda Mertz and all the entities who hold the respective copyrights to both the Roswell High books, and Roswell TV series. No copyright infrigement inferred.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: G
FADE IN:

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - NIGHT

The place is closed for the night as LIZ PARKER, dressed casually, sits in a booth writing a letter while MARIA De LUCA, still wearing her waitress uniform, finishes cleaning up behind the counter.

MARIA Are you like still working on that thing, Liz?

LIZ Yeah, I’m still revising it. I just want this to be perfect.

MARIA Why? It’s not like you need a letter to tell him how you feel you know?

Liz looks up and Maria stops.

LIZ No, that’s exactly why I need to write him a letter. Eventhough we’ve been through a lot together, I just think it’s time to square things away between us.

Maria continues to clean.

MARIA Square things away between you? Liz, you make it sound like your paying your credit card bill. I mean, this is Max Evans we’re talking about here. Mister brooding-alien-guy. Fire of your loins, purveyor of your heart’s passion...

LIZ Yeah, but we’ve never talked about any of that stuff. I mean, I know he saved my life, but we also made a pact to just stay...

MARIA Friends?

LIZ Yeah.

Maria shakes her head and smiles as she walks toward the back.

MARIA Liz, when in the history of the world have two people who were drawn together by intense circumstances and an undeniable attraction ever managed to stay just friends?

Liz thinks about this as Maria exits to the back.

EXT. THE EVAN’S HOME - NIGHT

A familiar jeep sits in the driveway as windows glow warmly.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - MAX’S BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

MAX Mulder and Scully. They are two people who were drawn to each other by unusual circumstances, but who managed to remain just friends.

MAX EVANS sits on bed trying to type a letter on a laptop as ISABELLE EVANS sits at his desk going through a photo album. She uses her power to turn the pages, not touching them.

ISABELLE They’re characters on a TV show, Max. Get real.

Isabelle takes a picture of MICHAEL GERRAND and holds it up.

ISABELLE Speaking of “The X-Files,” doesn’t Michael remind you of someone?

Max looks up and rolls his hand from side to side as if to say “so, so”. He then looks down at the computer and shakes his head.

MAX I can’t get this right.

ISABELLE Maybe you’re trying too hard.

MAX It just doesn’t sound right. Maybe you could help me with it?

Isabelle rolls her eyes, gets up, and sits down beside Max. The photo album floats along side Isabelle and rests on the bed as she looks at the latptop.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

Maria, now dressed in street clothes, sits opposite Liz reading the letter. After a moment, Maria hands it to Liz.

MARIA It’s good.

LIZ But?

MARIA But what?

LIZ I don’t know. You tell me.

MARIA What do you want me to say, Liz? It’s good. It’s really good.

Without hesitation, Liz pulls out another piece of paper and begins to write.

MARIA What are you doing? I said it was good.

LIZ Which means I’ve still got a long ways to go.

Maria rolls her eyes.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - MAX’S BEDROOM - SAME

Isabelle types on Max’s laptop while Max looks on.

MAX Wait a minute -- What are you doing?

ISABELLE Trust me. Girls love poetry. It’ll make her feel special.

MAX She is special.

ISABELLE Exactly.

MAX But --

Max stops Isabelle typing.

MAX I want this to be from me. Not from Shakespeare, or Thureau, or anybody else. Just me.

ISABELLE But you said you wanted my help, right?

MAX Yeah, but not if that means pretending to be something I’m not.

Isabelle rolls her eyes.

ISABELLE Look, Max, I don’t even know why you need to even write her a letter. Just walk right up to her and tell her how you feel. It’s pretty obvious you both have feelings for each other.

MAX I can’t do that.

ISABELLE Why not?

MAX It’s not that simple.

Isabelle shakes her head and walks out of the room. Max thinks a moment and then starts typing.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

MARIA It is that simple, Liz.

LIZ No, it’s not.

Maria now sits next to Liz and is writing the letter.

MARIA Yes it is. “Max, I know we’ve been through a lot and that eventhough you’re from another world and I have to tell you that this whole “let’s be just friends” things is really getting to me...”

Liz stops her.

LIZ What are you doing?

MARIA I’m trying to show you that you don’t need a letter to tell him what you want to say.

LIZ Yeah, but that’s just to...

MARIA To what?

LIZ ...To...

MARIA Easy?

Liz is at a loss for words.

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - MAX’S BEDROOM - SAME

Isabelle walks in with a cup of coffee. A spoon rotates in the cup without her touching it as she stands near the door.

ISABELLE Still at it, huh?

MAX Like I said, it’s just not that easy to write something like this.

ISABELLE Well, I’ve given you my take.

MAX Thanks.

A moment of silence as Max looks down at the laptop. Isabelle studies him for a moment.

ISABELLE You know what, Max? Sometimes it’s just better to say what you mean, than to try and mean what you say. I know that in our unique situation that we try to remain as anonymous as possible, but when it comes to stuff like this... Somtimes it’s better to take a risk and see what happens than to do nothing at all.

Max looks at Isabelle. Isabelle then walks out of the room. Max considers her words.

INT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - SAME

LIZ This is pointless!

Liz crumples up the letter. Maria sits opposite her in the booth with her head on the table. Maria slowly sits up.

MARIA You know what you’re problem is?

LIZ What?

MARIA I think you’re trying to hard.

LIZ Trying to hard to do what?

MARIA Tell him what you think you should say instead of what you want you really want to say.

LIZ What do you mean?

MARIA I mean, why don’t you just write what you want to tell him. Or better yet, just tell him in person? I mean, God, it’s no secret you two have the hots for each other.

LIZ Maria, it’s just not that simple. I mean, there are so many factors here that I can’t even begin to fathom the repercussions of what might happen if...

MARIA But at least you’re willing to take the risk and find out, or else you wouldn’t be writing him a letter now would you?

Liz considers Maria’s words. Maria checks her watch and yawns. Maria then gets up and puts her book bag over her shoulder.

MARIA I gotta get going. I hope your letter turns out the way you want it.

Maria takes a few steps and turns to face Liz.

MARIA And by the way, be glad you have someone you want to express all these emotions to. The only person I would ever consider writing a letter like that to would be my dad -- That is, if I could ever find him. And eventhough he ran out on me and my mom, I still think it would only be three words long.

Maria nods and then exits the cafe. Liz ponders Maria’s words. Liz then takes a out a fresh piece of paper and starts writing.

LIZ (O.C.) Dear Max...

INT. THE EVAN’S HOME - MAX’S BEDROOM - SAME

Max types on his laptop: DEAR LIZ...

MAX (O.C.) Dear Liz...

EXT. WEST ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL - DAY

Students walk about the campus.

INT. W ROSWELL HIGH - HALL - CONTINUOUS

Max walks down the hall with Isabelle and Michael and sees Liz and Maria coming the opposite direction. They meet in the center.

MAX Hi.

LIZ Hi.

There is a moment of awkward silence...

MICHAEL Hey, Maria. Wanna make out?

MARIA Not if you were the last al... Available guy on the face of the Earth.

MICHAEL Right back at ya.

Michael smiles deviously at her as Maria shakes her head.

ISABELLE Come on you two.

Michael, Isabelle and Maria leave.

MAX So.

LIZ So.

MAX How are you doing?

LIZ Fine, fine. And you?

MAX Fine.

LIZ Good, good.

Max opens his binder and pulls out an envelope.

LIZ What’s this?

MAX Um... It’s for you. It’s kind of a... Letter I’ve been meaning to give you.

LIZ A letter? For me? Oh, that’s... Nice.

Max smiles as Liz takes the letter.

MAX Don’t open it now.

LIZ Okay. When can I open it then?

MAX Just not here.

Liz nods.

LIZ Okay. I have something for you...

Liz pulls a white envelope from her binder and hands it to Max.

MAX A letter?

Liz appears embarrassed.

LIZ Yeah, funny, huh?

Max smiles.

MAX Yeah.

LIZ Don’t open it now.

MAX When can I open it then?

LIZ Just not here.

Max nods.

MAX All right.

Max and Liz stand there, not knowing what to do next, as students swirl around them.

LIZ Well, I’ve got get to Chem lab.

MAX Yeah, I’ve got to get to P.E.

LIZ See you around?

MAX Always, Liz.

Liz looks at him with a heart-felt gaze. Max and Liz then walk in opposite directions down the hall. Max and Liz both examine the envelopes they received.

EXT. THE CRASHDOWN CAFE - NIGHT

Liz sits on the roof of the Crashdown watching a meteor shower. She then looks down at the envelope on a table. She opens it and unfolds the note:

“Dear Liz... I LOVE YOU. Max”

She looks up and smiles as light streaks across a starry sky.

EXT. THE EVAN’S HOME - SAME

Max sits in the backyard watching the same meteor shower. He opens his envelope and reads the letter:

“Dear Max... I love you. Liz”

Max looks up at the stellar display and smiles.

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.