FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Against All Odds"
"A music video"
Part 1
by Mnemosyne
Disclaimer: None of this is mine. The song belongs to Phil Collins and company, and the characters belong to Jason Katims, et al.
Summary: Maria sings, and we see the true pain of loss.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I'm sure a baZILLION people have done this, but I really wanted to write out my own take on the idea. Yes, it is kinda sappy, but I wrote it anyway! Ha-HA! LOL! Hope you enjoy! (words in parentheses are my "pictures")
(SETTING: The club from "Blind Date." The air is smoky, making outlines soft- no hard edges. It's a packed house, as everyone in Roswell wants to see the local band, the Whits.)

(Maria stands front and center on the stage, and she is where our focus is. The rear-curtain is royal blue, speckled with sequin stars-- an homage to Roswell's spacey reputation. The band seems to blend into the background, but not Maria. She is sparkling in a gold halter top and black leather pants. She stands behind a tall microphone, hands wrapped loosely around its stand)

(As the song begins, the camera is at the back of the club, but moves slowly forward over the heads of the crowd, some of whom are seated, others standing)

(Maria sings, eyes closed)

"How can I just let you walk away,
Just let you leave without a trace?
When I stand here taking every breath
With you, oo-ooh..."

(Her eyes open, as the camera moves in close)

"You're the only one who really knew me at all."

(Scene switches, and we know it's a flashback. A long, needle-shaped ship hovers in the background, shedding a bright blue light that illuminates the empty landscape. Three couples are gathered on the ground outside the ship: Max and Liz, Isabel and Alex, Michael and Maria. The camera switches between close-ups of each couple as the song continues)

(Isabel and Alex. Their foreheads touching)

"How can you just walk away from me,
When all I can do is watch you leave?"

(Max and Liz. He is cupping her cheek as they gaze into each others eyes)

"Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain.."

(his thumb strokes her cheekbone tenderly)

"..We've even shared the tears..."

(Michael and Maria. Her arms are wrapped around his neck, his around her waist, faces almost touching. Her eyes are closed)

"You're the only one who really knew me..."

(her eyes open, and she looks at him, almost crying)

"...at all."

(Maria in the club again. Camera circles her as she sings)

"So take a look at me now
Oh there's just an empty space.."

(Flashbacks: Michael and Maria arguing in the Crashdown before the first kiss in "River Dog.")

..And there's nothing left here to remind me.."

(Maria moving slowly up his body at the nookie motel in 285 South. "Not if you were the last alien on earth.")

"..Just the memory of your face.."

(Michael slipping through the door in the beginning of "Heat Wave")

"Ooh take a look at me now..."

(THE KISS and The Counter Scene from "Heat Wave")

"Well there's just an empty space And you coming back to me is against all odds.."

(Michael gazing at Maria in the end of "The Balance," as she tries not to cry)

"..And that's what I've got to face."

(Back to Maria singing. Close up of her left-side profile. Her eyes are closed again.)

"I wish I could just make you turn around.."

(Dissolves to front-view close-up)

"..Turn around and see me cry!"

(camera pans audience. Liz is in attendance. She is solemn)

"..There's so much I need to say to you.."

(Dissolve to band. Alex is methodically playing his bass. He, too, is solemn. The emotion in Maria's song has hit them all)

"..So many reasons why.."

(Back to Maria. Her hands have come up to cup the microphone, and we know if she opens her eyes, she will be crying)

"You're the only one who really knew me at all."

(Back to Goodbye flashback. One by one, the aliens draw away from their human counterparts, and move towards the ship)

(Isabel slips back from Alex, tears in her eyes.)

"So take a look at me now.."

(Max draws away from Liz. She looks like he's pulled away her breath as he leaves.)

"..Well there's just an empty space.."

(Michael slips Maria's arms from his neck, and walks slowly backward. He keeps hold of her hands, stretching their arms as far as they will reach.)

"..And there's nothing left here to remind me, Just the memory of.."

(Their fingers separate)

"..your face.."

(Panoramic view. We see the aliens walking towards the ship, where a shimmering blue ramp has extended itself towards them.)

"Now take a look at me now,
Cause there's just an empty space..."

(Close up of Maria. She can't take it. We see her mouth form the word, "NO!" and she runs after them)

"..But to wait for you is all I can do
And that's what I've got to face."

(Scene switches rapidly between Maria running to Michael..)

"Take a good look at me now!"

(...camera circling Maria in club...)

"..Cause I'll still be standing here.."

(..Michael turning as Maria flings herself into his arms, holding her tight, kissing her hard..)

"..And you coming back to me is against all odds.."

(..Maria singing..)

"..It's the chance I've gotta take."

(..Michael drawing back and pulling away, the pain in his eyes mirroring Maria's. He turns away and boards the ship.)

(Scene switches. Maria drops her hands, and opens her eyes. They are shining with tears)

"Take a look at me now."

(She steps back from the mic, and as the music ends, the image dissolves back to Maria watching the ship take off. The blue light grows brighter as the ship lifts off, and she sinks to the ground, eyes never leaving the craft, until it streaks off into the night)

(Fade to black)

The End

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.