FanFic - Michael/Maria
"And the Stitches Become Undone "
Part 4
by Calie
Disclaimer: I do not own Michael and Maria or any of the characters from Roswell that I have borrowed for this fic.
Summary: Maria gets pregnant by a certain alien. But the pregnancy brings along lots of physical and emotional problems.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
""Michael, calm down." Isabelle told him, her voice a little edgy. His insistent pacing and running his hand through his hair was driving her insane.

"Calm down!" Michael exclaimed and stooped in mid pace. His eyes blazed angrily. "Lets review the facts here Isabelle. Maria is now pregnant. Not only that I am the one who got her pregnant! But shes not pregnant from a human guy like she deserved to be years from now? No! She got pregnant by an alien while she is still in high school! And along with that comes a baby that is sucking the life out of her! So Isabelle, tell me again, why should I calm down?" Michael asked her angrily.

"All right, look it's obvious everyone is on edge, especially you." Max said to Michael. "But we need to decide on some things here."

"That's easy. No one finds out." Isabelle said decidedly. "But of course things aren't that easy when Maria is going to be carrying something the size of a bowling ball in her stomach!" Isabelle yelled to Michael.

"Okay so we can't hide it. But one thing is for certain. No one can know it is Michael's. Agreed?" Max asked in a tone that forced them to nod.

"What about Maria's Mother. She'll find out at some point and will insist on knowing who." Isabelle brought up.

Michael cringed. He was more afraid of Maria's Mother right now then any FBI agent in the world.

"I don't know. We'll deal with that when we have to. Right now though we have to agree that this situation has to be kept as secretive as possible." Because if it wasn't who knew what could happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 days later.

"Where is she?" Michael asked as he walked into the diner.

"I-I." Liz stuttered trying to think of an excuse. But she had used them all up over the past couple of days.

"Liz I want to see her now. She cannot do this to me. I have been waiting across the street for the most part of the day. I saw you two come in. Where is she?" Michael asked forcefully.

Liz expelled a surrendering sigh. "She is upstairs, laying down."

Michael didn't even glance at Liz as she revealed the information. He took off through the door and up the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael walked into Liz's room and found Maria laying on the bed on her side, facing away from the door. "Maria."

Maria jumped up off the bed and stood facing him. "Michael, um what are you doing here?" Maria asked casually. But how casual where you supposed to ask in a situation like this.

"You have avoided me for two days and all you can ask is how I am doing?" Michael asked her through gritted teeth as he stalked towards her.

Maria moved towards the end of the bed and backed up slowly trying to avoid him. "I just needed time to be alone. To you know figure out things?" Maria asked him hoping he would understand. But he didn't look like he was in an understanding mood.

"Are you listening to yourself Maria? Because the last time I checked I was the father here. Meaning that this baby is half mine. Next time you'd like to avoid me for two whole days and 'figure out things' I'd like to know about it." As the last words left his mouth he had Maria backed up into a wall and he was standing a few inches away.

Through all the jumbled thoughts running through her head one stuck out. Why did his height continue to scare her? He had this towering figure. Maybe if he wasn't so tall he wouldn't seem so bold. "Look you can't watch me ever minute of the day. I'm the one carrying it. If I need to be alone then I need to be alone. And since the baby is in me I guess we go together."

"For two whole days! I could not find you! You weren't at school, I went to your house you weren't home. I waited at the Crashdown, you never came. I had know idea what was going on here! I would at least like to know something!" Michael let out an angry sigh but is voice quieted. "Maria, we don't know what could happen. And when you are gone for that long I-I...."

Maria's eyebrows raised as she waited patiently.

"I began to worry." Michael finished.

Maria's face twisted in confusion. "I um, I didn't really know what to say. As many times as I tell my self what really is going on it still doesn't sink in. I mean yea the whole I'm pregnant part has um gotten to me. Numerous times. But the other part. Your part. I don't think that has set in yet. I didn't mean to worry you Michael. I really didn't. But being around you, seeing you, talking to you, that reminds me. That makes me know what is going on. And I don't like that." She hadn't just wanted to come out and tell him that she was avoiding him because she couldn't stand to be near him. But that was the truth.

"So you don't want to be around me then?" Michael asked her reproachfully. "No wait, you can't stand to be around me."

"Michael." Maria said sadly. "It isn't like that."

"Isn't it? I remind you over and over again what is inside you. And you can't handle it. Here I thought you had finally come to except what we where. I thought you didn't fear us. But you do." Michael backed up away from her. He was angry but being near her hurt him more then anything. To know that she felt that way tore at him.

Maria's eyes widened with worry as he backed up. That one movement expressed so much. Almost as if he was unconsciously drawing himself away from her. Pulling away. She stepped forward and grabbed his arms. "Michael no." she cried softly. "Just listen to me."

"Maria I've heard enough for now." He pulled away and began walking towards the door.

"Michael!" Maria yelled at him. But even as she did she didn't run to stop him. He didn't even turn around. And as the door shut loudly, the realization that she was alone hit her. He was gone. He had left her. Again. Shouldn't she be used to it by now? But she wasn't. Instead it hurt worse. Maria dropped her head and looked down to her stomach. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to push him way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria continued to cry as she walked down the street. "Okay maybe I shouldn't be walking home. But it's only about a mile. We'll be okay. Right?" Maria nodded. "Right." Maria let out a small groan. "Not right now. I'm about a half a mile from help and a half a mile from home." Maria quickened her pace, but as she did she felt herself become weak. She should have known better. The last time this happened had been when they had all found out. It was bound to happen again. She had gotten no sleep and had been feeling so stressed, the baby was going to need more life. Maria stopped and lifted up her shirt. "Oh god." she groaned as her stomach shown brightly. She wouldn't make it home alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mulder, I swear." Scully mumbled. Once they both had entered the car and closed the doors she turned to him. "Just a week ago you couldn't wait to leave this place. Now you think there is something, and we are stalking a 16 year old girl."

"Look I know I thought there was nothing before. But after finding out about Maria DeLuca and observing the rest of them, the whole situation has taken a drastic turn." He said excitedly.

"Of course it has. The girl got pregnant and she is only 16. I'm sure that is bound to create a little chaos between there small group." Scully sighed. She knew it wouldn't do any good.

"Look Scully, I have a-" Mulder began.

"Feeling." she finished for him. "Yea I know."

Mulder turned to her and smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria stumbled and fell to the ground. She groaned loudly and curled up on her side.

"Please." Maria begged. "Not to much." She began to become unaware of her surroundings. They just didn't seem to matter anymore. She forced her eyes open as she heard a loud screech and voices. Somewhere in the back of her mind she knew who it was. But she couldn't really remember. She felt herself being picked up off the ground and carried.

Scully jumped back into the passenger seat. "Hurry up Mulder, we need to get her to a hospital."

The words pulled Maria out of the haziness. "No!" she yelled and pushed herself up. She couldn't hold herself up though and she slowly fell back down onto the seat.

"No." she told them.

"Your in physical danger, and so is the baby. You need help." Scully told her.

"No." Maria pleaded. "You can't." Maria whined. "They'll know."

"What will they know Maria? We can help you as long as you tell us." Mulder told her.

Maria conflicting thoughts shown on her face and she winced. "They'll know about them."

"What about them, Maria?" Mulder pushed.

"I need to go see them." Maria watched the hesitant looks coming from the two agents. She grabbed the hem of her shirt and pushed it up revealing the silverish glow. "Only they can help me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mulder carried the petite girl in the backdoor and followed her instruction of where to go. Scully ran quickly to the front to find one of her friends. He placed her on the sofa and sat on the table. "Maria."

"Hmmmm?"

"Wake up. You need to stay awake. Scully went to go get your friends. They'll help you." he reassured her.

"Maria!" Liz exclaimed and ran in.

"Liz?" Maria whispered and her eyes opened.

Liz ran over and kneeled down in front of Maria. "Do you need help?"

Maria nodded. "Hurry."

Liz raised her hand to Maria's stomach and slowly lifted up her shirt. The silverish glow was shining brightly. To brightly. And her stomach felt warm. "Okay." Liz said and hurried to the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello?" Max answered.

"Max. Maria is in trouble." Liz said fearfully.

"What kind of trouble?" Max asked her worriedly.

"You know what kind." Liz told me.

"Okay I'll be over there as fast as I can." Max said and hung up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What's wrong with her?" Scully asked as Liz wiped a cold cloth over Maria's stomach. She had expected it to wipe off. But it didn't. It continued to glow.

"I can't tell you that." Liz said but her eyes remained on Maria.

"We know something is going on Ms. Parker." Mulder told her.

"It isn't for me to tell. Right now my concern is Maria. Not the truth you are searching for." Liz said evenly.

"What is wrong with Maria then? How do you know we can't help her?" Scully asked concerned.

"Because I know." Liz told her.

"Liz."

Liz turned to the door to where Max and Isabelle where standing. She jumped up and ran to him. "Help her."

"Max, they'll know." Isabelle said softly to him.

"So what?!?" Liz exclaimed. "You'd let Maria die?!?!"

"No, but I wouldn't willingly put ourselves in danger." Isabelle shot back.

"Look Isabelle we don't have time for this. This is two lives that are in danger. And this time it does have to do with us." Max lowered his voice. "Besides I think we can trust them."

"You say that about everyone." Isabelle said.

Max walked over to Maria and knelt down. "Maria?"

"Hmmmm?" Maria said and forced her eyes open.

Max turned to Isabelle. He pulled the keys out of his pocket. "Go find Michael."

Isabelle nodded and took off through the door.

Max sighed and looked at the two agents. "Isabelle doesn't trust you. And neither does Michael."

"They don't know us." Scully told him.

"And you don't know us." Max told her and glanced at the other agent. Max turned back to Maria. "You know something now. But you don't know what. I could tell you. But that would all depend on how you choose to use the information." Max brought his hand up to Maria stomach. "This is nothing you know about."

"I just want to know the truth. I'm not interested in exposing anyone or getting anyone hurt. I just want to know." Mulder said with emotion.

For some reason Max believed him. He turned to the women.

"I don't share Mulder's search for the truth. But I'm not here to put anyone's lives in danger." Scully told him. She knew how the other side of the FBI worked. She would not put them in that danger.

Max nodded and turned back to Maria. "She needs life. It's being taken from her." Max told them and placed his hand on Maria's stomach and closed his eyes.

"By the baby?" Mulder asked confused.

Max nodded.

"But why?" Scully asked, equally as confused. But she go no answer. She walked towards the boy. He was still, to still. Her eyes turned to the girls stomach. The silver glow had begun to fade, and shrink. She glanced at Maria, her eyes where beginning to open and focus. But she did not move. She waited patiently as if she knew what was happening.

Max pulled his hand away from Maria and stood up swaying slightly.

Liz reached out and steadied him. "Max sit down." Liz told him softly and brought him towards the couch.

Maria curled her feet against her and allowed Max to sit down. "Thanks." she told him.

Max sighed. "Anytime."

"What did you do?" Scully asked and moved forward surveying Maria's now lightly tanned stomach.

"I gave her life." Max said simply.

"I don't understand." Scully admitted.

"You will. But not till the others get back. This isn't just my choice." Max turned to Maria. "How do you feel?"

"Still a little weak." she admitted.

"I couldn't give you anymore. When they get back we can do it again." he told her. Either Isabelle or Michael could. But most likely Michael would. He would insist on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael ran ahead of Isabelle to the back. When he walked in he stopped as the two agents looked up at him. Conflicting emotions flew over his face until finally he ignored them and walked over to Maria. "Are you okay?"

Maria nodded. "I'm still weak. Max didn't have enough to give." Maria whispered.

Michael nodded and placed his hand under her stomach. Once again the power was pulled from him and then it suddenly ended. When he opened his eyes, stronger ones where staring back at him. "Better."

"Yea." Maria said her voice stronger.

"Okay." Michael said and stood up. "What is going on here?"

"We found Maria." Scully told him. She was passed out on the ground. "We where going to take her to the hospital but she insisted that we couldn't. Then she showed us her stomach and had us bring her here."

"And what did you tell them?" Michael asked Max.

"Nothing." Max told them.

"Then that's all they need to know." Michael said decidedly.

"No." Maria exclaimed and sat up. "They saved my life. They deserve an explanation."

"It isn't your choice make." Isabelle said angrily. "Your not in the danger that we are."

Maria jumped up, her eyes blazing. "I am not in the same danger?!?! How do you figure? As I recall, this," Maria pointed to her stomach. "is in danger, and so am I. So if your secret gets out I go down to. Right now we have no idea what to do. Maybe they could help. And if they can, neither you or Michael will stop me from revealing anything. Because I am not going to just stand by and have the life sucked out of me or have this baby die because I can't support it."

"Look just because we're from the FBI doesn't make us the bad guys here." Mulder said and stood up.

"Doesn't make you the good guys either. We've had enough run ins with the FBI lately to make us aware of the fact they are out to get us." Isabelle told him. "You're here watching us. That gives us reason to doubt your sincerity."

"We didn't want to be here. Especially Mulder. But we where assigned here. You think the whole FBI is out to get you, but they aren't. In fact this assignment isn't taken seriously to the higher ups. That is why we where send here. Because they don't take us seriously. Or more precisely they don't take Mulder seriously." she glanced at Mulder.

They both knew it was true. But she felt pained to say it. "Mulder believes against all odds that there is more then we knows about. And even as much as I argue against him, I want him to know the truth"

Max looked at the others. "I promised them the truth."

Michael sighed and looked at Isabelle. Her face was set in stone. She obviously was not happy about the situation. He looked at Maria who was standing next to him. Of course she wanted to tell them. "If they can help Maria, fine."

Max turned to Isabelle.

"Fine. But when I'm strapped to a white table I'll know who to blame." Isabelle said and dropped onto a chair.

Max sighed. "Okay."

Liz walked over to Maria and pulled her down to the sofa with her.

Maria allowed Liz to pull her down to the sofa. She crossed her legs and looked up at Michael who was watching her.

Michael turned as Maria sat down. She looked back up at him, her face expressionless. He frowned and sat down on the floor in front of Maria. He wasn't doing it unconsciously either. He knew he was protecting her.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.