FanFic - Michael/Maria
"And the Stitches Become Undone "
Part 6
by Calie
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: This is the final part. But I don't want to ruin it for you. Just read. That way I can run and hide.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: In part 2 I had said that they where in college. I changed my mind though in like part 3. They are in high school. I'll be starting a new fic as soon as I come up with a good enough plot. Also last time when I sent this out I got a lot of emails with people needing previous parts. So if you do there here: http://www.angelfire.com/tv/myficcalie/index.html
"Max." Michael called out unsurely as Maria clutched her stomach. Scully pushed through the kids and checked Maria's pulse.

"Michael didn't you give her power?" Max asked as he tried to get to them.

"It happened the same way before. It was taken. Max, what the hell is wrong with her?!?" Michael yelled and looked at him.

"Bring her back here." Scully said and jumped up and moved towards the room she and Maria had been in just earlier. "Lay her on the table."

Michael did as she said and stepped back watching with pain as Maria continued to moan and grip at her stomach. "Max." Michael said hoping his friend would come up with an idea.

I don't know Michael, sorry." Max said and watched with worry at the scene unfolding before them.

"Get out. All of you." Scully ordered to Mulder.

"Scully...." Mulder began.

"Now!" she yelled.

Mulder nodded and began to pull the kids out.

"No, I am not leaving her." Michael said and pushed away.

"Michael, you can't help her." Max told him. "Come on."

Michael allowed Max to pull him out. The last thing he saw was Agent Scully putting on latex gloves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scully slumped down into a chair and watched the sleeping girl. She just couldn't understand what had happened. She was to shocked to even move. She reached into her pocked and pulled out her cell phone. With a push of a button the speed dial did the work.

"Hello?"

"Get in here. Only you." Scully said and clicked end. She sighed and waited patiently. A moment later the door opened then closed.

"Scully, is she-" Mulder began hesitantly.

"No. She's alive and healthy, but different." Scully told him. Of course it made no sense. "The baby is gone."

"Gone?" Mulder asked confused.

"It was there after you all left. But moments later it was gone. She began screaming and shaking, then it all halted. Mulder I don't know." Scully said and sighed.

"Scully we don't know anything about there race. We aren't supposed to know what could happen. It wasn't your fault." he said and walked over to her kneeling down in front of her.

"I know. It just isn't right." she let out another sigh. "Lets go. They need to know."

Mulder nodded and stood up, waiting while Scully prepared herself to deliver the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scully stepped out of the office and had numerous sets of eyes on her. She looked at Mulder and saw his support in his own eyes. She turned and against her will, met Michael eyes. They where anxious, and worried. She walked over and took a seat slowly. "Maria is okay." She heard a relieved sigh come from the group. "But-" she paused for a moment. "But the baby isn't."

"What do you mean the baby isn't?" Michael asked as if he could hardly believe it.

"The baby is gone. I don't know what happened. It was there when you left. Then later she began to scream and shake and then it was gone." Scully said and shook her head.

"How can the baby just be gone!" Michael exclaimed angrily.

Mulder jumped up. "Look Scully did all she could for something she knew nothing about."

"We know that." Max said coming to Michael defense. "We didn't expect this to happen. But you did." Max said pointedly. Scully shook her head sadly. "There hadn't been time to tell you."

"Tell us what?" Isabelle asked confused.

"Humans cannot be mixed with your species." Scully said.

"You never mentioned this. And how are you so sure?" Michael asked watching the couple cautiously.

Scully sighed and looked around uncomfortably. This wasn't her she was usually brave, not taking anything from anyone. But how do reveal something as painful as this? "A while back I disappeared. For three months. We're not to sure what happened. Some time after I was returned we discovered that ovaries had been taken from my body, and that they had been used to make hybrids." Scully pushed the words out of her mouth.

"Wh-what happened?" Liz asked softly.

Scully looked at the girl pointedly. "They hadn't been that old. They where young little girls. But they died. Most likely they weren't made right. My ovaries couldn't support them." "I'm sorry." Liz said genuinely.

"It was a while ago." Scully said trying to regain herself. "Not that long ago." Mulder said softly.

Scully didn't respond. She sighed and pushed up the strong facade although she was still hurting. "Something happened to Maria. Something inside her changed. It became stronger. I don't think the baby could get enough energy, so it gave out. Maybe in your race when a baby can't survive that is how a miscarriage takes place. But it disappeared. But I think the energy it was getting from either one of you three also was used to strengthen herself."

"Can she still have babies?" Liz asked worried for her friend. Scully nodded. "Not only that she would most likely be able to support another baby that was a hybrid. That's if it happened again." "Can we see her?" Liz asked hopefully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a moment all the pain and fear was gone and Maria felt the blankness. She couldn't see it in a physical sense, but she felt it. She couldn't talk either. She opened her mouth to cry out but no words escaped for the simple fact that her body was not there. But she could feel and she could think. It seemed like it all only took place in a second. But the time continued to pass in an agonizing way. And in her mind she cried out at the sudden loss.

"No." Maria sobbed softly. "Maria calm down." Scully said trying to soothe the just awakened girl. "It's gone. It was just taken from me." Maria cried. "And I couldn't stop it. I tried to." Maria looked around at the people standing around her. When she caught site of Michael she did nothing but stare at him. "The baby is gone, isn't it?" Maria asked softly. "I'm sorry." Scully said sadly.

Maria ground her jaw together in a vain attempt to keep herself in control. Her face was determined, but her eyes told a different story. She blinked quickly, trying to rid herself of the tears forming in her eyes, but to no avail they fell. Maria looked down at the ground and let them flow quietly. Soon she found herself enveloped in her crying friends arms. Maria quickly wrapped her arms around Liz as if she was the only thing standing between life and death. And at this point it was true. She opened her eyes, that she had just recently squeezed shut. But the object that she sought had disappeared. Again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was right. He did run. All to often. And it was turning in a bad habit that allowed him to escape from any painful situation. Even if that meant leaving someone else to deal with it. Someone that he didn't want to hurt. Okay he was scared. So what. No, he admitted it. But what good would it do him. Now he wouldn't accomplish anything. At least before he was able to convince himself that he needed to stay away from her. Of course now he wasn't sure what he was telling himself. He should have been there, for her. Michael had taken a part in this whole situation, and he left her alone, leaving her to deal with all the pain. He wasn't worthy of anyone. Yes, she still wanted him. Although he was sure she didn't want to want him at this point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria admitted painfully to herself that although what happened tonight tore her apart, a part of her felt relieved. And everything else besides that part took shame at those thoughts. But even as she didn't want to, she admitted to herself, now that her and Michael's baby was gone, there would be know fear of FBI agents finding out, or the embarrassment and pain at being pregnant at her age. Then there was the other side. The side that just lost a child. And it tore her insides into shreds. It brought her to an agonizing place that she never knew existed. She had been carrying something inside of her. Something hers. And now, less then five days after finding out, it is gone. And it had been her fault, she hadn't been able to give the baby enough energy. So the baby suffered and then died in the end. Why someone should be allowed to feel that much agonizing pain she couldn't understand. But as she laid on her bed crying she realized that you could feel that way.

Through some miracle after hours of fussing over, she had been allowed to be alone and on her own, in her own room. Maria held back the tears that wanted to escape her, reassuring Liz and the others that she would be okay and that this was for the best. And maybe it was, but it still hurt. So now here she was crying on her bed. Balled up kleenex lay thrown in a pile on side of her bed, she continuously heaved in deep breaths as she sobbed wildly. After over an hour of her endless cries her stomach felt like it had been literally twisted in knots and she felt as if she would throw up.

Maria looked in the mirror, and a hideous site stared back. It couldn't be her, it looked nothing like her. The image in the mirror had taken on her form but not fully. It had puffy, blood shot eyes. The face was wet from tears, and the nose was red. The lips seemed more full then usual to. But it was her. The worst image of herself. One that had been broken repeatedly until left limp and dying. But that would have been to good for her. Death. It would have been a relief. Because now HER baby was dead, and she was left here alone, with no one to share her pain. Which brought on more distressing thoughts. Because there should have been someone with her, hurting, the same way she was. Someone that would hold onto her to comfort her and himself. But he had escaped the situation. Could she blame him for wanting to? Yes, Very easily. Michael claimed that he wouldn't have been able to leave because of what had been inside of her. But he ran didn't he? Or maybe he ran because he didn't have to stay now. The baby was gone. She had known him to be a little rough around the edges. But she never thought him bad enough that he would leave her like that. Broken.

Why this had happened she couldn't understand. If she couldn't support the baby why had she been able to get pregnant in the first place. She had thought about it over the past couple of days. But then she thought she might be able to support it with Max, Isabelle, and Michael help. But that wasn't true. Maybe it was a cruel tactic of fate. Or maybe it was just one of those things. Or maybe their species are so similar to humans that it allowed her to get pregnant. Who cares. But something shouldn't have happened. Either she shouldn't have gotten pregnant, or she shouldn't have lost the baby. Or maybe that one kiss at the Crashdown should never have happened. But they did. They did share a kiss, and she did get pregnant, and she did lose the baby. This is how it was before though. She didn't have Michael and she hadn't been pregnant. So she was safe. But the only problem now was that before she hadn't had a baby and lost it. This time she had. And now she was still alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael eased open the window slowly. The air of the room smelled neglected. Or rather seemed neglected. And to another person it might sound ridiculous. But the scents that Maria used and adored where lost to the room. It was a subtle sign that the Maria from over a week ago was not the same one curled up on the edge of her bed. Would he ever get her back? But he never really had her in the first place. At this point he didn't want her back. That was to much to ask. He just wanted her happy and free of worry and pain. He shut the window, blocking out the chilly night air, and walked slowly across the room. When he stood in front of her he kneeled down slowly. Her image resembled one of a tortured soul. She was wrapped tightly around one of her pillows, her face was red and her eyes where puffy. Her hair, that was usually fixed up neatly, sometimes with clips, and sometimes fixed in ways he couldn't imagine with short hair, was now stringy and a mess. If him, Max, and Isabelle could heal, why couldn't he heal this. Heal her pain. Or at least transfer it to himself. He had learned to live with pain and loss, she shouldn't have to.

Why this loss of the baby brought him less pain then it did her he couldn't understand. It almost made him feel worthless. Like he didn't care. But he had, about her. Maybe that was it. He had cared more about her safety. But that had been his child to. One of his flesh in blood. Or maybe it was just this motherly bond everyone always talks about. But right now he concern was about her. He didn't want to leave her. He was scared he would lose her all over again. So he sat on the floor and positioned himself against her bedstand. Maybe Maria thought she was alone, but he wasn't going to leave her tonight. Even if she didn't know it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even as Maria began to wake up she knew what had happened. And she wished beyond all odds that she could sleep, and not have to deal with any of it. She opened her eyes quickly as she heard a sound. Only a little over a feet away from her she found Michael sitting on her floor. He had his legs bent and his arms crossed on his knees, and his head laying on top of them. He was asleep. A thought occurred to her to hit him. But it was quickly left. It was instead replaced by a feeling of relief. Relief that she had been wrong and that he really didn't leave her. She reached out slowly with her hand, until she reached his head, and began slowly running her fingers through is spiky, brown hair. She wanted to wrap her arms around him a revel in the thought that he was there with her. Maybe she should be mad at him for the fact that he left her when she needed him. But he didn't want to leave her alone. He had been scared. And Michael never really dealt well with intense situations. Either he became angry or he ran.

Michael was slowly pulled away from sleep and became aware of something running softly through his hair. He opened his eyes but didn't lift his head but his eyes did open. And through the corner of his eyes he could see Maria's face. And it was almost peaceful. Content. Everything it should be. Could he do that to her? Actually help her feel better? Then why did he continue to hurt her? He turned his head slowly with the side of his face resting on his arms. As he did her hand stilled, and with the movement of his head her hand slid to the side of his face.

Her eyes met his, and unfortunately hers held fear. So he didn't move. Because she seemed like a scared kitten. And any movement at this point would send her running. So he sat there, still. Her eyes softened and she ran her thumb softly over his cheek. The look on her face became pained as she tried to hold back her emotions. He pushed himself off the ground onto his knees and she quickly snatched her hand away. He grabbed it though gently. Her face showed genuine fear, but he tried to push the look out of his mind. He brought his hands down to her sides and released her wrist only to slide his hands around her waist and slide her towards him. Once he pulled her against him he sat back on the floor, holding her to him. Her arms wrapped around his neck tightly and she cried softly.

Her thoughts where some jumbled. Even as more of the pain leaked from her body, her tears didn't only express that. They expressed relief. Relief at knowing he was there for her. And happiness for the simple fact that he was there holding her.

"I won't leave you." he said softly into her shoulder. Even though she had her arms wrapped around him tightly, he found that his grip around her waist was firm. He didn't want to let her go.

Her cries came harder now, and she felt his arms tighten. Of course that didn't help either. It only made her realize even more how much he meant it, and how much he really cared for her. Because now he was holding her, like he should have been in the first place.

The End.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Michaeal - Maria
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.