FanFic - Michael/Maria
"As Long As I'm With You"
Part 6
by Nikki
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing. Okay, maybe Dr. L & Rayna. But that's it.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: To my best pal, Ali (IndieRockGrl25@aol.com) who suggested that I write a Roswell fanfic (actually, more like demanded it!). Notes: Spoilers for up to Destiny. I made up Drest Bay. At least I think I did, LOL. I didn't want to use a real location for some reason. Also, we are going to assume Tess is around, but she's not in this story. And yeah, I made Michael and Maria pretty sappy. Sorry!
Michael woke up after his visit from Isabel. He automatically looked down at Maria, who was tossing and turning in her sleep. He took the glass of water Rayna had left them and sat Maria up, bringing it to her still-soft lips. She sipped it a little, without opening her eyes, and settled back down. Then Michael ripped a little of his shirt and poured some of the cool water over it, making it a cold compress like Isabel had said. He wiped away the sweat on her forehead and pressed it on her head. He wiped the cold rag over her rosy colored cheeks and around her neck. Then he left it on her forehead and watched her sleep.

"They're coming," Michael whispered to the girl. "And I'm going to get you out of here."

Max, Alex, Isabel, and Liz made it on the plane just in time. They settled back in their chairs. Alex was with Max and Isabel was with Liz, both the girls and the boys directly across the small aisle from each other.

"I just remembered I hate flying," Liz said.

Isabel giggled at her friend, glad that she was steering her thoughts away from her sick best friend.

"How long is this flight, anyway?" Alex called from across the aisle.

"I don't know, like three hours?" Isabel figured.

"Ugh," Alex replied and turned back to the flight manual he was browsing through. Liz groaned, too, and stared out the small window next to her.

"Maybe it's better that I can't see anything," Liz told Isabel, referring to how it was too dark to really see anything outside.

"Yeah," Isabel agreed, smoothing out her skirt and tank top.

They were up in the air ten minutes later.

Michael watched Maria mumbling something in her sleep. He bent down, his ear to her lips, to hear what he was saying. He smiled a bit to himself when he heard she was mumbling his name. "I'm right here, Maria," he told her, wrapping his arms around her. She clutched his head to her chest and Michael fell back to sleep with her, listening to her heartbeat.

He woke up to the sound of the door opening and pulled out of Maria's embrace. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that it was only Rayna.

"How is she?" the redhead asked, gesturing towards Maria.

"The same," Michael replied, looking down at his blond fireball that laid almost lifelessly in front of him.

"That's too bad," Rayna said and handed Michael a pitcher of water. "I thought you could use this."

"Thanks," Michael replied in monotone. He looked up at the slightly ajar door, knowing that it was now or never. "We have to go."

"Who?"

"Maria and me, we have to leave now," Michael said.

"You can't! They'll catch you in no time at all, especially with the state of your little girlfriend!" Rayna pointed out, eyes wide and head moving left to right rapidly.

"We have to," Michael said and pulled Maria gently into his open arms, lifting her up.

"No," Rayna moved to block the door. "You can't!"

"Move out of the way," Michael said calmly, annoyed with the redhead.

Rayna saw the determination in his eyes and reluctantly stepped away. "When they catch you, don't tell them I did this."

"They won't catch me," he said. With that, he walked away.

He walked down the hall as quickly and quietly as he could. Maria started to stir and then opened her eyes. "Michael?" she croaked. "Where are we going?"

"We're busting out," Michael whispered to her, still walking. "I promised you we would, didn't I?"

Maria didn't answer, just brought her arm tightly around his neck and rested up against him.

Michael kept on walking, not sure where he was going. He heard footsteps, and hid in the corner. A guard walked right by them without noticing the two. Michael watched him go by, holding his breath. Maria silently prayed to God that they wouldn't get caught. She trusted Michael, though, and knew somehow that they'd be all right just as long as they were together.

She muffled a cough with her hand and looked behind Michael, making sure nobody was coming. Michael looked forward more and saw some moonlight shining through. There was a door, slightly opened, leading outside. The only bad thing was that two buff looking guards were guarding that exit. Michael kneeled down and gently put Maria on the floor. "I have a plan," he told the half-awake, half-asleep blond. He looked back at the guards and then at her. "You see how that guard on the left is moved up a little?"

Maria squinted and slowly nodded.

"Well, when the guard on the right isn't looking, we can crawl behind the guard on the left and make it past them. Then we're home free. Get it?" he looked at the confused girl next to him and sighed. "Just follow me and don't make a sound."

He kissed her lips quickly, hoping it wouldn't be the last time, and made his way toward the two men who were talking. Maria followed behind them, trying hard not to sneeze and blow their cover. As soon as they were behind the left guard, a loud ringing noise boomed down the corridor, causing both Maria and Michael to jump.

"This is an alert!" a mechanical voice sounded. "A prisoner has escaped!"

During all the commotion, Michael grabbed Maria's hand and yanked the two of them out the door before it automatically shut, which it did exactly two seconds after Maria went through. Michael then grasped her hand more tightly and they both ran as fast as they could, away from the building.

The plane landed exactly three hours after it took off.

Isabel sat up and stretched while the color on Liz's face started to return. Alex looked out the window, seeing pretty much nothing, and Max picked up the bag, which he had been stuck with to hold.

"Are you okay, Liz?" he asked.

"Yeah," Liz breathed. "I'm okay." She stood up and they all walked off the plane with the crowd.

"Now where are we supposed to go?" Max asked, looking around the airport.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Isabel told him.

"Great," Max muttered.

"I think we should stay here," Alex piped up and they all looked at him curiously. "I mean, Michael knows we're coming, right? I'm sure he thinks we're coming by plane. He might be meeting us here."

Isabel nodded in agreement. "Alex is right, I think we should stay here. Maybe wait out at the entrance to the airport."

"Yeah," Liz agreed and they walked off to the entrance.

Michael stopped running as Maria noticeably slowed down. "You okay?" he asked her.

She shook her head right before she fainted. Michael caught her just in time, pulling her up to him.

"Maria? Maria?" he called, sounding nervous. He never saw anybody faint before and didn't know what to do. He made sure she was still breathing, and picked her up into his arms. He had to find Max and the others so they could help her.

He trudged on with Maria, walking until he found himself in a town. He saw the Drest Airport about a mile down and nodded to himself. They would probably be there.

Liz sat down next to Max on the floor just outside of the entrance. "You're really worried about them, too, aren't you?" she asked, gently taking his hand.

Max nodded. "Michael's like a brother to me."

"As Maria's like a sister to me," Liz added, understanding.

Max hugged Liz then, and warmth filled her body. She knew he was her other half. The moment was over with a shriek from Isabel.

"Oh my God!" Liz exclaimed when she saw what Isabel was looking at. She rushed over to see a scruffy-looking Michael carrying an unconscious Maria. "Maria!" Liz exclaimed and took her hand. She paled. "What happened?!"

"She's sick . . . she fainted," Michael looked worried. Then he looked up at Max. "You gotta help her!"

Max nodded. "I'll do my best. Let's get her inside."

They walked into the airport, getting a few stares here and there, but not minding. Michael sat down in the nearest empty chair, pulling Maria closer to him as if someone was going to take her away from him again.

"When did she faint?" Alex asked.

Liz scooted over next to Michael, still holding Maria's hand in shock.

"About fifteen minutes ago, I guess," Michael said, loving pushing some of Maria's hair off of her face.

The others saw this in surprise, but didn't say anything.

Maria's eyes suddenly fluttered open. She looked directly up at Michael, at first not noticing the others. "Michael?" she asked weakly. "Did we make it?"

Michael smiled at her softly, getting more strange looks from the four others. "We're okay. Liz and the others are here."

Maria's head turned to see Liz. "Liz?"

A tear spilled down Liz's cheek. "Maria, we were so worried. Are you okay?"

Maria nodded, still out of it. "I think I just need some more sleep," she murmured and settled back in Michael's arms.

Michael smiled down at the sleepy girl as she drifted back off to La-La Land again. He felt her head again and breathed a sigh of relief to see she had cooled down considerably.

Max noticed this. "She just needs rest, Michael. She'll be fine."

Michael nodded to his brother.

"Are you okay, Michael?" Isabel asked.

"Yeah," Michael said. "Just glad we made it out."

"We need some more tickets to get back to Roswell," Alex piped up.

Liz groaned. "Flying again?"

Alex, Max, and Isabel laughed and Liz and Alex walked off to get tickets. Isabel and Max sat down next to Michael.

"So what do you know about this Dr. L?" Max spoke up.

Michael shook his head. "Nothing really."

"FBI?" Isabel wondered.

"I don't think so," Michael answered, unconsciously rubbing Maria's back.

Isabel saw this and smiled, happy for her almost-brother. "So is everything okay with you and Maria?"

Michael smiled down at the peaceful looking Maria. "I think so."

Liz came back, holding six tickets. "Flight leaves in two hours."

"Ugh," Isabel groaned. She then looked over at Michael. "We brought you some clothes."

"And food," Alex added. "Why don't you go change? We'll take Maria."

Michael looked hesitant at first, but then handed Maria to Alex. Max then gave the bag to Michael.

"Thanks," Michael said and went into the bathroom to change. He came back fifteen minutes later, with his hair more spiked and his normal jeans-and-a T-shirt combo. Maria looked up at him from Alex's lap and smiled.

"She was looking for you," Liz told him.

Michael scooped her up off of Alex and plopped down on a chair, kissing her soundly.

"Are you okay?" he asked her when their lips broke apart.

"Yeah," Maria said, smiling and breathing heavily. "Max fixed my arm and helped my headache go away."

"Good," Michael grinned down at her.

"I hate to break this Kodak moment here, but I just wanted to let Maria know that Isabel brought her some clothes, too," Alex jokingly pretended to be on a loudspeaker.

Michael and Maria laughed and she reluctantly let go of Michael.

"I'm gonna go change," she told him, looking down at her raggedy brown clothes. "I don't think this color is me."

Michael nodded and she took off for the bathroom with the bag in her hand.

"Are you hungry, Michael?" Isabel asked, holding some oranges and a bag of potato chips.

"Nah, I'm fine," Michael told him.

Liz eyed Michael. "Why didn't you just heal Maria?"

Michael's happy mood wore off and he lowered his voice. "They took my powers."

Isabel gasped and Max looked up at Michael. "What?"

"They're gone. They gave me something," Michael said angrily.

"Maybe it will wear off sooner of later," Alex said optimistically.

"Maybe," Michael looked down at the ground.

"You look much better, Maria," Liz suddenly said.

Michael looked up to see his cheery blond once again. She was wearing Isabel's light pink sweater and jeans, and her hair was now brushed and more lively.

"Thanks," Maria bounced over to them and handed the bag back to Max and Isabel. Maria sat down next to Michael, who was sitting across from the others. He instinctively took her hand, needing to be touching her. Maria flashed a smiled at him and then looked back at the others. "So what time's the flight?"

Max looked at his watch. "In an hour. They should be boarding in about half an hour."

"Maybe we should go look for the gate," Alex suggested.

"Yeah," Liz stood up and the others followed.

They walked down some more and sat back down in seats. A teenage guy looked at Maria with a grin and Michael growled at him, pulling Maria closer to him. He wondered if other guys had been looking at her like that when he wasn't around the past few months. That thought annoyed him. Didn't they know she was his?

Maria, oblivious to the little display of jealousy Michael had just performed, looked over at Liz. "Is my mother worried?"

Liz nodded. "She and the Sheriff have been looking you ever since she found out you disappeared."

Maria groaned. "She and the Sheriff are too good of friends." She shuddered. "Stalker boy is coming dangerously close to being my stepbrother."

Liz laughed. "Don't worry, Maria."

Maria settled back next to Michael and comfortably listened to Alex and Isabel engage in a conversation. Max and Liz started about talking about some boring educational stuff. She looked up at Michael and caught his eye. He had been watching her. She smiled and lightly kissed him. All though she loved to talk, she enjoyed the occasional silent moments she spent with Michael.

Soon they were on the plane.

"I really hate planes," Maria heard Liz exclaim to Max in the seats behind them.

"Don't worry, chica," Maria turned in her seat to face Liz. "Just think about something else."

Liz smiled at her best friend in response and Maria turned back in her seat to find Michael laughing at her. "What?" she asked.

"You," he said.

"What?" she repeated.

Michael shook his head and turned around. Maria rolled her eyes and looked out the window.

The plane took off and Max watched Liz whispering prayers next to him, her eyes tightly shut and her hands gripping the arms of her chair. Maria turned around and looked at her friend in sympathy. She mouthed "She always does this" to Max. Max nodded in reply and rubbed Liz's hand with his own. She noticeably relaxed.

They were level in the air after about five minutes.

Maria babbled to Michael for the next three hours and Michael listened to her every word, just glad that she was alive. She could have very easily been dead. And it would have been all his fault.

"I'm sorry," Michael said as they landed in New Mexico.

"For what?" Maria looked at him, searching his eyes.

"For putting you in so much danger, for almost getting you killed," Michael listed off.

Maria shook her head. "It wasn't your fault."

Michael nodded. "Yeah it was. I put you in this situation."

Maria grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "No, Michael, I put myself in this situation. And I'm fine, aren't I?"

"Thanks to Max," Michael looked away.

Maria climbed onto his lap, in her favorite position. "I don't regret falling in love with an alien," she whispered into his ear and kissed him.

"Okay, you two," Alex laughed. "It's time to get off before you're stuck on this plane and find yourself in Alaska."

Maria laughed and scooted off of Michael. She took his arm and pulled him off of the plane, anxious to get home. She wanted to see her mother, take a long, hot shower, and sniff some oils. They walked over to the parking lot and took about twenty minutes to find Liz's car. They had been in such a hurry, they forgot to write where they had parked it.

"How are we supposed to fit, Liz?" Alex peered into the small car.

Liz got into the driver's seat and Max climbed into the passenger seat.

"I'll sit on Michael's lap," Maria volunteered.

Alex and Isabel squished in together and left as much room as possible for Michael. He climbed in and Maria sat on top of him.

"Who's house first?" Liz asked as she paid the guy at the gate and drove onto the main street. Alex looked over at the clock and cringed.

"At least it's light outside," he exclaimed, noting the rising sun.

Isabel laughed.

"My house! My house!" Maria exclaimed desperately.

Michael laughed at the impatient girl in his lap and wrapped his arms around her small waist, hugging her to him.

They all hobbled out of the car when they pulled up into the Deluca driveway. Maria sped to the door, with Michael trailing right behind her, attached to her hand. She knocked on the door quickly.

Amy Deluca opened the door and started crying when she saw her daughter. "Maria!" she exclaimed and threw her arms around her. Maria grinned and finally let go of Michael's hand to hug her mother.

"Oh my God, Maria, honey, where were you?" Amy asked, kissing her daughter's forehead and looking at her.

"Um, I don't really remember, mom. I was kidnapped. Michael saved me, though," Maria smiled over at Michael. Amy smiled at Michael appreciatively. "Thank you, Michael."

"Yeah, thanks, Michael," Maria gave him another soft kiss on the lips.

Michael smiled at the Delucas. "No problem. I'll see you later, Maria,"

"Bye, Michael," Maria said to him.

"Goodbye, Michael," Amy echoed and brought her daughter inside as Michael walked back to the car where the others were looking at him, all smiles.

Liz scanned the Crashdown, looking for Maria. She smiled when she found her and Michael huddled up in the corner, quietly talking and kissing. Ever since they found each other again, last week when they were kidnapped, they could never be found alone. Alex jokingly asked one time if it was physically possible for them to be without each other for more than five minutes.

"So where does this leave us?" Maria asked as Michael's lips went after hers again. He stopped short and looked at her. "Do you think Dr. L will come looking for us?"

Michael shook his head. "Not as long I'm with you."

Part 5 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.