Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Can't Find a Better Man"
Part 4
by Ariana
Disclaimer: I don't own anything
Summary: Sequel to "Just Like Me"
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
"Um hm," Tess made her presence known. Maria broke away from Michael and looked at her. "I need to borrow my sister for a minute," Tess grabbed Maria by the hand and hauled her away from Michael. "What do you think you are doing?"

"Tess, Michael just got out of jail," Maria pointed out to her.

Tess rolled her eyes at her, "Hello! In case you forgot Nasedo is back in town and it is only a matter of time before he finds out."

"Finds out what?" Maria snapped. "That Michael wants to be with me or that Max doesn't want to be with you."

Tess blanched, "You are supposed to protect our destinies, but so far all you have done is destroy them."

Maria was quiet for a second before speaking, "God Tess what has happened to us. We never use to fight."

"Things just got too complicated I guess without realizing it we began to want different things," Tess said blinking tears away.

"I'm sorry if I haven't been there for you like I use to, but you're not the only one I have to look after anymore," Maria gave her a quick hug.

"I know," Tess understood. "Speaking of looking after, have you seen Max?"

"He was outside, I think," Maria said glancing out the window where she saw Max and Liz in deep conversation. "But he might have went home."

"Well here comes the reason," Tess told her as they saw Liz walk through the entrance.

Maria wished there was no resentment between Tess and Liz, "Tess we are all on the same side."

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean I have to like it," Tess walked over to join Isabel who was talking to Alex.

Michael got up and sat at the counter, "What was that all about?"

"Nothing just sister stuff," Maria told him trying not to look upset.

Isabel began playing more uptempo music by using her powers. "Come on Maria!" Isabel started dancing and Tess joined her. Liz was sitting on a stool at the counter.

Maria began to move to the music while Michael watched from his seat. "Come on," Maria said to Liz.

"Maria, no," Liz shook her head.

Maria continued to dance and talk, "You know you want to." Liz looked like she was contemplating on whether to dance or not, but then she saw Tess sit down. Liz got up and began to dance. "So, what's up with you and Max?"

"Nothing," Liz replied honestly.

Maria could tell that there was something more, "Oh, I saw the way you looked at him. Did you have a flash?"

Liz laughed because it was so uncanny how well Maria knew her and they only been friends for a short time. "I knew it." Maria took Liz's hand and spun her around which made them burst into giggles. They were all having a good time, but then Max came crashing through the entrance.

"Max!" Tess cried at the sight of blood across his chest.

Maria felt Michael come up from behind while Liz stood frozen next to her. "Nasedo's dead," Max spoke in heavy breaths.

"What?" Maria herself was in a state of shock.

Max managed to get an explanation out, "He came to me, injured. Said…said it was another alien and that we're all in danger. He died…in my arms. He…died in my arms."

"Oh my God," Isabel was in a state of disbelief.

Michael could see that Max was in no condition to make any decisions, "We have to get Nasedo to the pod chamber…use the healing stones to revive him. Max, where is he? Where's Nasedo?"

"In my room," Max uttered.

Isabel repeated in a panicked voice, "In your room!"

"Where's your car?" Michael asked Maria.

Maria replied, "Out back, I'll get the keys." She quickly got her purse and dug around for her keys.

"Oh, Max, you're hurt," Liz cried as she kneeled down in front of him. Tess came up behind her and waved her hand over the bruise on Max's cheek and all Liz could do was watch it disappear.

"What should we do?" Alex asked.

Michael told him, "Nothing, just go home."

"Wait," Alex continued. "What about this other alien? Shouldn't we at least try and go."

"It's too dangerous right now, because we don't know what we are up against," Maria said to Alex.

Michael added, "Besides I'll handle it."

"You're not in charge here, Michael," Tess spat out.

"Well somebody has to be," Michael helped Max to his feet. "Maxwell, let's go. Come on."

"Maria," Tess whined to her sister.

Maria told her firmly, "Tess, Michael's right we need to go to the pod chamber." Maria turned to Liz and Alex. "It's safer if you guys stay here. I'll call you when we get back."

"Be careful," Liz said as she watched her friends disappear into the night.

* * * "It's not working," Tess declared as she held a glowing healing stone like the rest of them in the sanctuary of the pod chamber. "Why isn't it working?"

"I think whatever happened to him…" Max's voice trailed off as he looked at the grief in Maria's face. "Something we can't reverse."

"But he can't die," Maria believed, but now she was not so sure.

Tess added, "We need him."

"I'm sorry Tess, Maria," Isabel reached out to the girls.

Michael kept on a serious face because he wanted to be strong for Maria, "You said he mentioned another alien. What exactly did he say?"

"He said that we were all in danger," Max relayed the information. "That the Skins were among us."

"The Skins," Maria repeated. "Michael?"

Max looked confused, "What?"

"I found this thing out by Pierce's grave site," Michael explained. "It looked like a snake skin. When I tried picking it up, it disintegrated."

They were all trying to absorb the situation but Isabel cried out, "Look!" Nasedo's body began to dramatically decompose and soon dissolved into dust.

"Oh my God," Maria muttered.

"What do we do now, Max?" Tess asked but no one knew the answer. Nasedo was their guide they relied on his experience to help them in their quest. Now their only link to an unknown world was gone and they are left with only each other.

"Well it looks like our enemies are one step ahead of us," Michael declared bitterly.

Maria was still bewildered, "How did they know he was back in Roswell unless they are watching us."

"Max," Tess said. "They could be anybody."

"So it's obvious then," Michael stated. "We trust no one outside the circle. What do you say Max?"

Max looked Michael in the eye, "I say we go home, but we have to be super careful because Tess is right, they could be anybody."

* * * "Hello," Alex said into the phone. A feeling of anxiousness trickled through his body in hope of good news.

"Alex," Maria muttered in a tired voice. "It's Maria. Are you awake?"

"Maria, yeah I'm awake, what's up? What happened?" Alex answered eagerly.

"Um, we couldn't do it. We couldn't save him. He's dead," Maria said as if she didn't believe the words she was saying.

Alex grew more concerned, "Are you going to be okay?"

Maria answered truthfully; "I don't know Alex. It is all happening so fast. All summer was nothing, then they find Pierce's body, Michael gets arrested and put in jail, and now Nasedo is killed by the Skins."

"Who are the Skins?" Alex asked when Maria finished.

"Our enemies have found us," Maria confessed. "They killed Nasedo and who knows what they are going to do next."

"You just need to calm down Maria," Alex consoled because Maria was about to lose it.

Maria exclaimed, "I don't know what to do Alex. Nasedo's gone and that leaves me to protect all of us and I don't know if I can do it."

"Maria, Nasedo wouldn't have trained you if he didn't believe you couldn't do it," Alex tried to convince her. "Liz and I have complete faith and trust in you."

Maria didn't know what to say because she never had real friends before, so all she could muster up was, "Thank you Alex."

* * * Michael didn't know how to approach their new problem, but the last thing he wanted was to go back to school. "Come back to school, what a great plan," Michael sarcastically told Isabel as they walked down the school hallway.

"I am so not having this conversation," Isabel said to him.

Michael said seriously, "You realize the killer could be here right now…walking the halls looking for us…and, gee where are we? Hey, we're right here, just waiting to be found."

Isabel became frustrated with him, "You know what? Stop OK? Stop putting me in the middle of this. If you have a problem take it to Max. He's the leader."

"If we're not careful, he's gonna get us all killed," Michael declared.

Isabel took a deep breath to hold back her anger, "I swear Michael I don't know how Maria can put up with you."

"She just understands me better," Michael confessed.

"Hey," Max walked up to them.

"Hi, gotta go. Bell rang," Michael walked away from them. He turned the corner and headed towards the door.

"Michael!" she called to him. Michael stopped and turned around. "Where are you going?"

"I can't be here right now," Michael told her.

Maria softly touched his cheek, "Please stay for me. I know you are having a hard time dealing with this." "Don't worry about me, what about you? How are you holding up?" Michael put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Maria said, "I'm fine, it's not like Nasedo was around a lot, but yet he was always there. He wasn't a father, but he was my teacher. I learned everything from him."

"How's Tess?" Michael asked.

Maria replied, "In denial, I think she is more determined to get home." Maria pointed her finger upwards. "Wherever that is."

"What are you doing tonight?" Michael asked.

Maria answered, "Um, I think I'm going to Alex's to hang out with Alex and Liz, but I can come over later if you like?"

"Yeah, okay," Michael kissed her on the forehead.

Maria gave him a small smile, "Now go to class."

* * * "It is just a matter of time before you weaken," Maria told Liz when she was driving her home. They spent the whole afternoon and part of the evening hanging out at Alex's house listening to Alex play the guitar while Maria sang funny songs.

"Thank you," Liz was tired of discussing Max.

Maria went on, "It's not a dig. It's just a fact. You are in love with him, you can't live without him, and you're going to get back together with him."

"No, that's not true," Liz protested while Maria drove. "I walked away from him and her and the entire situation. Besides what about sisterly loyalty."

Maria rolled her eyes, "First of all 'her'? There is no 'her'. As much as I love Tess, Max doesn't care about her. He's never gonna care about Tess, because he's interested in…" she couldn't finish because there walking on the sidewalk were Max and Tess. "Oh God."

"What?" Liz looked in the same direction.

"Liz," Maria started.

Liz cut her off before she said anything, "Maria, whatever you're about to say, just don't, OK?"

Maria felt terrible for Liz because she saw the pain in her eyes. She thought Tess understood why Max didn't want to be with her. Tess didn't know that Maria agreed to help Max get Liz back and if she found out Tess would be crushed. Maria couldn't help it because she knew that Liz and Max belonged together just like she and Michael belonged with each other.

Maria pulled up to the Crashdown and just as Liz was getting out Maria told her, "Liz, I'm really sorry I'm sure it wasn't what it looked like."

"Maria," Liz said in a serious tone. "You have to face it, Max and I are not getting back together. Maria you're my friend and I love you, but enough already."

Maria asked sweetly, "Are you still mad at me?"

Liz smiled weakly, "You're forgiven, see you tomorrow."

"Bye," Maria pulled away from the curb and drove away when Liz disappeared into the Crashdown."

"It's about time you got here," Michael said with a look of impatience when he answered the door.

Maria was a bit taken back, "Hello Maria, how are you? I really missed you."

"I called your house and you weren't home then I tried your cell phone and there was no answer. I was worried about you," Michael explained.

Maria's demeanor softened, "You were worried about me." Maria rummaged through her purse; "I must have left my phone my desk at home. I'm sorry I made you worry."

Michael took her in his arms; "We just have to be extra careful."

"I know," Maria said into his shoulder. "We're going to get through this Michael." Maria pulled away and slipped off her jacket. "We need to concentrate on improving our weaknesses and using our strengths."

"Strengths, I don't know if I have any," Michael looked away.

"I know of one special strength you have," Maria wrapped her arms around his waist. She tilted her head upward so her lips met his.

He always lost himself in her kisses and he could feel himself slowly heading towards the couch. He softly placed her on it as their kisses escalated. "Maria," Michael moaned breathlessly as she pulled him on top of her.

Maria ran her finger through his messy hair. "Michael, oh Michael…oh, Max."

"Max!" Michael was stunned.

With wide eyes Maria pointed, "Max."

Michael became aware that they were under the watchful eyes of Max and Tess. "What are you guys doing here?" Michael demanded easing off of Maria so she could sit up.

Tess sat down next to her, "Ria, they were in our house."

Just to make sure Maria asked, "Who?"

"The Skins, Max found one of their…shedded skins on the outside bushes," Tess explained.

"You two aren't safe there anymore," Max declared.

Maria was in a state of shock, "Then where do we go?"

Max looked at Michael first and then at the girls, "To the safest place I know."

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.