FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Catch Me If You Can"
Part 1
by Jennie
Disclaimer: Roswell is like a Mustang GT Convertible... it's never gonna be owned by me.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
FORCES ARE GATHERING

The tall, oppressive building in front of Alex looked more like a prison than a school. But that was how most students saw it anyway so it was deemed appropriate.

The lanky boy slipped around the side of the main building and to the back courtyard, chain dangling noisily at his side. Up ahead he saw his girlfriend and her brother arguing once again.

He approached in time to hear their parting words.

“Max, I’m not going to go and that’s final. Now scurry off to your preppy-ass friends,” Isabel icily said, her darkly outlined eyes piercing.

Max sighed and turned to Alex, giving him a half-hearted wave that Alex returned. Max wasn’t that bad of a guy. All he wanted was a normal, human life with good grades, a cheerleader girl friend, football games, and pep rallies. Too bad he wasn’t human.

Nope. Max was an alien along with his sister, Isabel, and their friend Michael. Alex was the only human entrusted with their secret. But Max didn’t know that.

“Another pep rally?” Alex asked, referring to Max and Isabel’s conversation.

“Worse. Winter formal.” Isabel scrunched her nose in disgust.

“You never know, it might be fun.”

She didn’t need to say a word, her glare said it all. Alex raised his hands in defeat until she redirected her gaze to a group on the other side of the quad.

“What are we staring at today?” Michael asked, plopping himself next to Isabel on the picnic table, his arm dangling loosely around her shoulders.

“The brainwashed sheep,” she stoically replied.

“Oh, come on Izzy. Some are okay,” Alex attempted again, rubbing his hands through his short black hair.

“Name one that isn’t egotistical, snobbish, or pep oriented.”

“Maria DeLuca.”

Michael snorted. “She’s like the leader of them all. They flock after her. Next.”

Alex refused to back down. “No, seriously. Maria DeLuca is the nicest person in this school and you know it. Do you know how many hours she volunteers?”

“It’s all a show,” Michael said. “A front. No one can be that nice.”

“I heard Liz and Max talking the other day about her. Apparently the perfect Miss DeLuca is a prude. She just had her first kiss last month with Kyle Valenti.”

“Figures.”

***

Maria sat on the bench, trying desperately not to dirty the pristine white and yellow cheerleader tank and skirt that she wore.

“Max, why do you bother?” Liz was saying to her boyfriend. “She obviously wants to be a reject so stop trying to stop her.”

“Liz,” Maria said lightly to her friend. “They are not rejects. Just because they are different from us, doesn’t mean they’re wrong. Maybe we’re wrong.”

Liz simply smiled uncomfortable, afraid to disagree. Maria hated that. No one dared to talk back to her.

The bell rang and the uniform clad students made their way to class. Maria smoothed her skirt and then her hair before picking up her book and folder for first period. She was on a mission. She had a test she was going to ace.

***

Five black vans pulled up outside of Stanley Private School.

***

Maria entered the main building and slowly ascended the stairs saying hi to people along the way. As soon as she turned the corner her smile faded.

Kyle Valenti stood head to head with Michael Guerin, resident bad boy.

“I said get out of the way!” Kyle growled.

“Yeah, well who’s gonna make me? You?” Michael smirked, looking down on the football jock.

“Kyle, can I speak to you a sec?” Maria asked sweetly, breaking through some of the tension.

“Sure.” He trotted over, occasionally glancing over his shoulder at Michael.

“You know that if you’re late to Mr. Jenkins’ class, he won’t let you play in tonight’s game.”

Kyle hung his head. “Yeah, I know.”

“Well go. I want to win tonight.” Kyle nodded, kissed her on the cheek and then tore down the hall. Maria waited until he was out of sight before turning to the tall teen leaning against the lockers amused. “You must excuse Kyle for his behavior. He’s going through a tough time at home right now. BUT if you weren’t so hostile, you wouldn’t have many confrontations, Michael.”

“How do you know my name?” he asked.

“How could I not? We’ve only been going to school together for nine years now.”

“But you’ve never talked to me or anything.”

“It’s not like you’ve said anything to me either,” she pointed out.

“Point taken.” And then he did something rare. He smiled.

The bell rang.

***

The men piled out of the vans methodically and took their positions.

***

“Oh no! I’m late! What do I do?” Maria asked, frantically looking around.

“What do you mean, what do you do? Haven’t you ever been late before?”

Maria shook her head sending her blonde curls bouncing. She looked up at Michael for help but he wasn’t even paying attention. He had his head cocked as if he were listening to something, but Maria didn’t hear a thing.

Suddenly, he grabbed her wrist and yanked her into a room. The words ‘Eraser Room’ flittered by causing Maria’s eyes to bulge. He closed the door and locked it.

“What are you—“ She was cut off by his hand clamping down over her mouth.

“Shh…” he whispered in her ear with one arm around her waist and the other still covering her mouth.

Then Maria heard it. The click-click of Ms. Martin’s shoes. Ms. Martin was known for her daily suspensions and expulsions.

The clicks slowed to a stop directly before the Eraser Room door. Michael instinctively tightened his arms around her pressing his hard chest against her back. Maria closed her eyes and held her breath.

Bang! Both teens jumped at the loud sound and then something hit the floor on the other side of the door.

Maria tilted her head to Michael questioningly. He looked as shaken as she felt. She watched as his eyes grew wide and he backed away, pulling her with him.

Maria turned to see what was wrong.

Blood. Blood was seeping under the door.

Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.