Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Chasing Hope"
Part 10
by Candy Doris
Disclaimer: The characters are not ours, just the creative circumstances in this particular fanfic came from our minds.
Summary: All our favorite characters are chasing hope...in every sense of the word. When the aliens leave to follow destiny, their earthling counterparts are forced to follow a destiny of their own with Hope being their only guidance. But what happens when the past and future, destiny and hope blend together and the future becomes past and the hope becomes destiny?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Author's Note: There are two imaginations behind this fanfic. One in California, one in Florida. A chance meeting empowered us to work together, each using our individual talents of editing and writing, respectively, and ultimately taking the first steps in achieving our dreams. Please let us know what you think. (Your conscious will eat you alive until you do!) Please copy both of us at the following email address: alienaddict4ros@hotmail.com & mdomingjr@aol.com
Holding Hope's hand, Alex walked into the spa. He stopped just inside the door and half-heartedly scanned the room for tall, blonde girls.

"May I help you, Sir?" a lady asked from behind the counter.

"Uh, yeah." Alex said approaching the counter. "Do you have a client here named..." Alex paused. He chuckled to himself at the thought of actually asking for her. He smiled and slightly rolled his eyes before continuing. "...Isabel Evans?"

The lady continued looking at Alex. She then looked down at Hope and answered. "Ms. Evans is not to be disturbed during her treatment."

Alex's smile dropped immediately. He shook his head doubtfully. "No, you...Isabel Evans...blond hair, about this tall," Alex said raising his arm into the air to demonstrate.

The lady asked, "Are you a friend of Ms. Evans?"

"Uh," Alex began. He fought not to laugh at the ridiculousness of the idea that Isabel was in the spa and that Maria had been right. "Well, you could say that."

"Just a moment," the lady replied and stepped away from the counter and down a hallway marked private.

Alex stood frozen waiting for the lady to return. A million thoughts ran through his head. If indeed Isabel was back and was in L.A., then why hadn't Liz told him? He figured that if Isabel was truly back from Antar, then perhaps she was the only one of the Czechs to return. That certainly would explain why Liz would not be bubbling over with the news of an alien return. Unless...Michael came back, too and Liz was trying to protect Maria.

"Uncle Alex," Hope began. Alex looked down at the 5 year old girl with bouncing blond hair and Maria's expressive eyes. "Who is Isabel?" Hope asked.

Alex considered how he should answer the question. Should he call Isabel the love of his life when they were hardly more than friends? Should he call Isabel her father's sister or wife? Should he call Isabel an alien...but the good kind? Finally he answered the truth. "Someone I haven't seen in a very long time."

The lady reappeared from the hallway. She approached the counter and asked. "Are you Michael?"

Alex's jaw dropped. The lady merely asked a simple question, but she communicated everything Alex needed to know. "Yeah," Alex lied.

"But Uncle..." Hope objected.

"Hope," Alex said looking at her sternly in the eyes as if to tell her, "Say another word and no T.V." Alex returned his eyes to the lady. "Will she see me?"

"Tonight," the lady answered flipping through a large appointment book.

"Excuse me?" Alex asked not understanding the lady's remark.

"She said whatever it is can wait and she will see you tonight," the lady answered sounding a bit fed up with playing messenger service.

"Thanks," Alex said and headed for the door. Once outside the spa, he decided he needed more proof to be certain the girl was indeed Isabel Evans from Roswell, New Mexico. Alex led Hope into FAO Schwartz across the street from the spa. He let Hope play nearby while he kept watch from the window waiting for Isabel to leave the spa.

Nearly an hour later, a blond girl emerged from the spa. She wore large, dark sunglasses, but Alex recognized her right away. "Isabel," he murmured. The girl turned the corner and began walking up the street.

"Hope!" Alex called fearing he would lose her if he took his off the girl. "Let's go!"

Alex and Hope followed her until she stopped outside a small café and took a seat at a table beneath a yellow umbrella. Alex grabbed Hope and the pair hid behind an unused wait station.

"Uncle Alex," Hope began.

"Sshhh!" Alex demanded holding a finger over his mouth.

"Uncle Alex," Hope whispered. "Isn't that your friend?"

"Yeah," Alex whispered.

"Then why are we hiding?" Hope asked.

Alex thought about her innocent question and had no answer. "I don't know," Alex answered standing up. "I guess we should just go say 'hello.'"

Just as he made a move to leave the wait station, he witnessed the blonde girl stand up, take a bottle of Tabasco from a neighboring table, and return to her own to drench her strawberry sundae with the hot sauce. The action stunned Alex and he knew without a shadow of a doubt that the girl was Isabel Evans. Max, Michael, and Isabel were the only "people" he'd ever known to appreciate the extreme mix.

Alex was so taken back by the reality of what he'd just seen, that he became frightened and unsure what to do. Instantly, Alex deduced that Michael and Isabel were undoubtedly together. They had plans to meet that night, and... "Oh my gosh," Alex thought. "He's here ,too. Michael is in L.A. Does he know? Of course, not. How could he? Does Isabel know? Are they different now? Are they Rath and Lonnie now? Do they even remember us?"

He retreated to once again hide behind the wait station. Hope, however, had not understood Alex's sudden retreat. Nor had she noticed. She advanced toward to the table where Isabel sat alone enjoying a small bowl of ice cream.

"Hope, no!" Alex yelled in a whisper lunging at the young girl. As he did, he tripped a thin server with dark hair. As the server fell across Alex's outstretched arms, his body stopped. The large tray of food the server carried did not. The tray sailed across the outdoor patio as a number of voices shouted in concern for the blonde girl about to be stuck by the wooden tray. Isabel turned to see the flying tray and quickly ducked. The tray glided past her and landed in the middle of the next table. Food flew madly dousing everyone within a 5-foot radius with red spaghetti sauce and meatballs.

"You have got to be kidding me!" the frustrated server shouted as he untied his apron and flung it to the ground.

Alex searched frantically for Hope before spotting her hiding beneath a table. He walked toward the table and bent to his knees. "Why are under the table?" Alex asked.

"Because I think I did this," Hope said.

Alex saw the fear in Hope's eyes. "It's okay, Hope," Alex began. "It's not your fault."

Tears formed in Hope's eyes as she confessed. "Sometimes things happen that I didn't mean to do. I'm sorry."

"Hope," Alex smiled trying to convince her she did not cause the spill. "It was my fault. I accidentally tripped the server."

"Really?" Hope smiled wiping her eyes.

"Yeah," Alex laughed. "Sometimes I can be so clumsy. Don't you remember a few nights ago when I dropped your mom's brand new bottle of perfume?" He reached out his hand to help Hope get out from under the table.

"That was pretty funny," Hope smiled. She laughed and said, "Mom was so mad at you."

"I know," Alex said laughing with Hope. The two stood and brushed the few spatters of marinara sauce from their clothes. Alex removed a stray noodle from Hope's hair.

When they turned around, Alex came face to face with Isabel.

"Alex?" Isabel asked.

"Isabel Evans," Alex sighed not surprised to see her. Alex looked down at Hope. He nodded his head in Isabel's direction and said, "Actually, she caused this."

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.