Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Chasing Hope"
Part 11
by Candy Doris
Disclaimer: The characters are not ours, just the creative circumstances in this particular fanfic came from our minds.
Summary: All our favorite characters are chasing hope...in every sense of the word. When the aliens leave to follow destiny, their earthling counterparts are forced to follow a destiny of their own with Hope being their only guidance. But what happens when the past and future, destiny and hope blend together and the future becomes past and the hope becomes destiny?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Author's Note: There are two imaginations behind this fanfic. One in California, one in Florida. A chance meeting empowered us to work together, each using our individual talents of editing and writing, respectively, and ultimately taking the first steps in achieving our dreams. Please let us know what you think. (Your conscious will eat you alive until you do!) Please copy both of us at the following email address: alienaddict4ros@hotmail.com & mdomingjr@aol.com
Maria sat on the couch half-heartedly flipping through television channels waiting for Alex and Hope to get home. She ran to the window and peered through the blinds each time a car turned into the apartment parking lot. She reached for her bag and pulled out the magazine she'd snagged earlier from the spa. She stared at the picture of the blonde girl on the cover and shook her head in disbelief and waited impatiently for Alex to confirm or disconfirm her suspicions.

Alex closed the car door and walked around to the passenger's side to help Hope climb out of the car. "Now don't forget what we talked about," Alex said as he extended a hand for Hope to hold while she jumped from the seat to the ground.

"Okay, Uncle Alex," Hope giggled. "I won't tell."

"Good. We don't want to ruin the surprise," Alex nervously giggled with Hope. Alex was forced to think quicky when he and Isabel came unexpectedly face-to-face. In the rush to decide how much he should share with her, Alex opted against telling Isabel about Maria. He didn't fully lie. He told Isabel about Marianna and Hope. He told Isabel how he and Marianna had built a great friendship while he worked as her agent. He told Isabel about the apartment that he and Marianna shared and that he often cared for Hope while Marianna worked to develop her career. Alex told Isabel everything about Hope and Marianna, but strategically left out the fact that Marianna was in fact Maria and that Hope was Michael's daughter.

During the ride back to the apartment, Alex convinced Hope not to tell her mom about Isabel just yet. "It'll be a fun surprise when they see each other for the first time," Alex told Hope. He crossed his fingers in hoping that the busy mind of the 5-year-old girl would soon forget the entire incident.

Alex and Hope pushed through the front door of the apartment and were practically tackled by an overanxious Maria who stood on her toes and shook her hands in anticipation of Alex's word regarding the blonde girl in the spa.

"What in the....what happened to you two?" Maria asked noticing the marinara sauce that Alex and Hope wore proudly on their shirts, pants, and in their hair.

Alex and Hope smiled knowingly at each other and began to laugh.

Maria joined in the fun and asked, "Are my two favorite people in the whole world keeping secrets from me?"

"Of course not, Maria. We love to share," Alex smirked as he held out his arms to embrace Maria in a giant hug.

"No!" Maria screamed and ran laughing wildly into the living room.

"Mom! I just want to give you a hug!" Hope called chasing Maria around the apartment.

Maria rounded a corner and ran smack dab into Alex who wrapped both arms around her and holding tightly.

"No!" Maria screamed and laughed.

"Hope! I got her!" Alex called and struggled to hold onto Maria as she squirmed. "Hurry, Hope!"

"I'm coming!" Hope laughed and excitedly. She grabbed her mom around the legs and rubbed her marinara stained shirt all over Maria's bare legs.

"Hope! How could you?" Maria laughed adoring the fun she always had with Alex and Hope. She'd often wondered how Michael would react to his fun-loving daughter. She fantasized about a changed Michael imagining how Hope would break through his tough outer exterior. Hope's happiness was contagious and she figured Michael would smile a lot more if he had the opportunity to know his daughter.

"Okay...okay!" Alex said putting an end to the madness that had spontaneously broken out. "Alright! Hope, why don't you head upstairs and get ready for a bath? I'm sure your mom will be up in just a few minutes to clean up, too."

When Hope left the room Maria asked, "So? Was it her?"

Alex looked at the floor. He'd decided not to tell Maria about Isabel. He decided it would be easier if Maria didn't know the three were back. "No," he said quickly. Alex compared telling a lie to ripping off a band-aid. It's going to be painful either way, so go on and get it done quickly. He walked into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator door. He retrieved a Coke and opened the bottle. "It was Isabel Evans...but not the Isabel Evans we knew."

"What?" Maria asked confused.

"The girl just happens to look a lot like our friend. And the scary thing was how similar she was. But she is just some girl with the same name. Evans is not all that uncommon, you know." While Alex lied, he took sips of his Coke, fiddled with his fingers, moved magnets on the refrigerator....anything to avoid looking Maria in the eye.

"But Isabel..." Maria spoke. She was nearly heartbroken. She'd somewhat hoped that the girl in the spa was indeed Isabel.

"She goes by Belle," Alex said. He walked over to Maria and put his arm around her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Maria," Alex apologized for lying.

"It's okay, Alex." Maria said lifting her head and taking a deep breath. "It's just as well." Maria looked down at her legs and smiled. "You know, I've got what I hope is marinara sauce all over me and a wonderful little girl waiting for me upstairs." She hugged Alex, thanked him for checking on the girl for her, and turned to go help Hope get a bath.

Alex sat his Coke on the table and followed Maria to the bottom of the stairs. He decided he had better go ahead and tell her right away. "Maria," Alex spoke.

"Yes, Alex?" Maria asked and turned to look at him.

He looked her in the eye as he finally spoke the truth. "I have a date with her this Friday night."

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.