FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Opening and Closing Doors"
Part 3
by Ariana
Disclaimer: I own nothing, so no infringement intended.
Summary: Michael returns after a three-year absence only to find that things have majorly changed.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I don't know where I'm going with this, so I hope it doesn't suck too much.
"Maria," Michael said softly as he opened the door to her room. He saw her sitting at the end of the bed and she was starting at the wall.

"Where's Max?" she asked her voice cracking as she spoke.

Michael noticed that she didn't want to look at him, "Uh, he took the girls out for a wagon ride."

"I assume you have figured it out," Maria said defeated.

Michael walked in front of her, because he wanted her to look at him, "I'm sorry for what I said before I was out of line. I was just...."

"Shocked," Maria finished meeting his gaze for the first time.

Michael nodded as he sat down next to her on the bed; "Yeah...they are beautiful."

Maria cracked a smile, "Yeah, they are."

"Just like their mother," Michael included.

Maria smirked, "Well they do have some of their father's distinguishing characteristics."

"That sounds weird," Michael told her.

Maria questioned, "What?"

"That word...father. I just thought that was something I would never be able to be," Michael shared.

Maria quickly stood up and walked to the opposite side of the room, "Look I never expected you to be there."

"Yeah, especially with Max around," Michael said without thinking.

"You're forgetting the most important part here Michael. Max isn't their father, you are," Maria cried out in frustration. "Max kept me sane the three years you were gone. If it weren't for him I would have completely lost it. But why Michael?" Tears sprang into Maria's eyes, "Why did you leave me?"

"You think I wanted to leave. I didn't but I was so completely messed up I would have just hurt you even more," Michael tried to explain.

"I needed you here Michael with our family!" That was the first time Maria referred to them as a family.

Michael told her, "You didn't understand what I was going through."

"Michael, Liz's death wasn't your fault. It was a terrible accident," Maria noticed the appearance of tears in Michael's eyes.

Michael tried to hide his eyes, "I just wish there was something I could have done, then she would still be here."

Maria walked over to Michael and kneeled down in front of him. She softly placed her hands on his face. It was the nearest she's been to him since he came back. "I loved Liz so much, but Liz is gone. She's gone Michael...but I'm still here, and Max and Izzy are here,...and Maddy and Lynn are here, and we aren't going anywhere."

"I've spent three years trying to convince myself that Liz's death wasn't my fault, and I finally accepted that," Michael confessed.

Maria realized, "That's why you came back."

Michael nodded, "That, and I couldn't stand being away from you any longer."

"A lot has happened Michael. You left once how do I know you won't do it again?" Maria asked softly.

Michael moved his face closer to hers, "Because I'm tired of running away. I don't think I could stand being away from you another day."

Maria took a deep breath, "The girls...they are really attached to Max, but they know he's not their father."

Michael smiled, "They called me 'dadda.'"

"How did it feel?" she asked him.

"Like no other feeling I've ever had before," Michael replied sincerely. "I felt special. That's your power Maria. You always made me feel special."

Maria joked, "See I knew I had some kind of power."

"You kept me going all these years, and I am sorry for hurting you. I promise you I will never hurt you again," Michael only hoped that Maria would forgive him.

Maria didn't say anything she just looked at his face with tears in her eyes. Michael's heart was pounding so hard in his chest that he was sure Maria could hear it. They were now standing face to face and Michael wasn't sure if she was going to slap him or run out of the room.

Michael watched as a tear gently slid down her cheek and suddenly she threw her arms around his neck, "I missed you so much."

"I'm so sorry I hurt you," Michael apologized again. "I love you so much."

Maria cried into his shoulder, "I love you too."

Maria looked into his eyes, and met his mouth with hers. The kiss was long and passionate, and neither of them knew how they managed to survive without each other's kiss.

"I'm never going to leave you again," Michael pulled her closer to him.

Maria gave him a soft kiss and smiled, "Promise spaceboy."

Michael kissed her again, "With all my heart."

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.