FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Forced Destiny"
Part 11
by Jennie
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
PLEASE HEAR WHAT I'M NOT SAYING

How come when it gets crowded, every person is a slob, yet when business is slow, not a grain of salt is spilled?

Maria would've been contemplating that restaurant mystery if it weren't for the spilled soda, four checks, two orders, one complaint, and Jose's groping hands.

'Five minutes,' she told herself. 'Five excruciatingly long minutes.'

Maria leaned over an unbussed table, cringing at the sight of the leftover food. "Dammit!" she hissed as she felt his eyes boring into her. "This is SO not helping," she grumbled and peeked behind her at Michael. It was his turn to 'baby-sit' her. At least Isabel had talked to her. All Michael had done so far was stare at her.

She glanced at the clock again. Only ten seconds had passed. Oh yeah. This was going to be a long five minutes.

***

She looked exhausted. Michael wanted to help but didn't know how, didn't know if she'd let him.

So many emotions were running through his body. Why now? Why did he have to deal with a confusing attraction when there was another alien around.

He tore his eyes away from Maria, needing to focus on the most important issue… who he was. That's been THE question for the last eleven years but now, he wasn't so sure he wanted to find out.

He glanced up at an ancient whirring ceiling fan that looked as if it might suddenly spin out of the ceiling. It seemed a nice metaphor for his life, threatening to spin out of control.

"Hey there," a girl in a Crashdown uniform said from above him. She smiled seductively at him and Michael almost laughed.

"I've already been helped thanks."

"I'm Kristin."

***

"Maria," Mr. Parker called from the counter. She made her way over, taking the opportunity to check the clock. Two minutes and thirteen seconds. "Have you seen Liz?"

"Earlier, why?" Two minutes, ten seconds.

Pursing his lips and scratching his head, Mr. Parker resembled a monkey. Maria stifled a giggle. "She's not home and not answering her cell phone."

"Well, she did say that she was going to visit with Max at the Museum," Maria supplied. Two minutes.

"Okay. I'll try there. Thanks." He briskly walked to the door. "Oh, and Maria, you look exhausted. Kristin can handle your tables. Go ahead and go home."

Maria grinned. If she had enough energy, she would've done a victory dance.

She stood up and made it halfway across the restaurant before-

***FLASH***

She was in a nursery…

***

Michael watched her smile and felt one form on his lips as well. She was so beautiful when she smiled…

'What the hell?' he thought, touching his lips.

Michael heard a faint cry and looked up in time to see Maria crumble into a heap on the floor.

"Shit!" he cursed pushing the other waitress out of the way and cradling Maria in his arms.

What did he do? Was she sick or was she having a vision? Did he wake her up? What about the vision? Would it be lost? Maria seemed to grow weaker after each one…

He swiftly made up his mind and carried her into the back, away from prying eyes.

After laying her on the couch, Kristin stuck her head in. "Is she, like, faking it or something?"

Michael glared at her.

"Should we call 911?"

"No, she's fine. She just didn't get much sleep and she hasn't eaten yet."

"Obsess much? Do you know when she brushed her teeth as well?"

Michael chose to ignore her. A customer yelled for some service behind her and her sweet smile disappeared. As she walked away, Michael heard her holler "I'm not your damn servant," through the swinging door.

"Psycho much?" he mocked her, turning his full attention to the small blonde in his arms.

"Maria, honey, wake up… come on…. Wake up." He gently shook her.

***

A music box was playing in the background.

Maria saw three basquinettes in the middle of the room.

***

He found her purse and picked her up again, amazed at how little she was for having such a big mouth.

Now came the hard part. Getting her home. There was no way he could carry her all the way to her house. Well, at least without arousing suspicion.

That only left one place…

***

The room spun a little. Maria braced herself against the onslaught.

"It's been confirmed," a man's voice said, filling the room. "They are the mystical trinity. The eldest has the mark."

***

Slumping against the door jam to his apartment, Michael precariously dug in his jeans for his key.

He thought he heard mumbling from the passed-out blonde but he couldn't be sure. It could've been his stomach.

***

The sky blue walls darkened and Maria heard one of the babies whimper.

"We must protect them!" a woman's voice said. "It's our only hope. It's THEIR only hope."

***

Michael looked down upon the shivering girl in his bed. She didn't seem to be able to get warm enough.

It had already been thirty minutes. He hoped this didn't last too much longer for her sake.

***

The room began to shake.

"We must send my babies away," the woman continued.

Red ooze came dripping down the walls.

"The prophecy says he won't rise for another six years."

Maria wobbled to the middle of the room.

"On their sixth birthday, we send them then."

She looked down into the three cradles. They were full of blood.

***FLASH***

She blinked open her eyes immediately, not wanting to see the image of the blood filled cradles any longer. When an unfamiliar wall, dresser, and TV came into view, she held her breath, afraid she was still in the dream world that seemed to be haunting her.

A shifting warmth came from behind her.

"You awake?" Michael breathed into her ear, making the small hairs on her neck prickle delightfully.

"Mmm hmm," she sighed as he pulled her tight against him. "How long was I out?"

"Umm…" Michael moved, loosing his arms. "About an hour. Feel like talking about it?"

Maria turned over to face him. "Yeah." That was far from the truth. For the first time in Maria DeLuca's life, she didn't want to talk. She wanted to… do OTHER things.

He seemed to have the same idea because his hand had slowly traced its way up from her waist to her cheek.

That's why Maria was thoroughly pissed off when her cell phone rang.

***

The four tired teens sat in the jeep outside of Dr. Wilkin's house for the second time that day.

"So if they sent us to Earth when we were six, why don't we remember anything?" Isabel asked, not really expecting an answer.

"I have no idea. We should go hear what the doc thinks is so important." They finally stepped out of the car.

The group went up the walkway and Maria knocked on the door.

"Well, hello again!" Ms. Granfors smiled. "Jeffery had to step out but he left you this." She handed Maria an envelope.

"Thanks," Maria said turning away. "See you on Monday!"

Back in the jeep she began to read aloud.

Part 10 | Index | Part 12
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.